Found Deceased SC - Brittanee Drexel, 17, Myrtle Beach, 25 April 2009 - #11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cubby

fly the W!
Reaction score
Hello all... I'm just sticking my head up to say hello! I'm still planning on gathering information and taking pictures this saturday...

:dance:

Yes, thanks mlatta. Please be careful.

Yes Mlatta. You need to take care of yourself. You are doing so much good for these victims and their families. They need you. We need you. Please do be careful.

Yes Mlatta. You need to take care of yourself. You are doing so much good for these victims and their families. They need you. We need you. Please do be careful.

you have my word! I will only go if I am well prepared, and if i see a "no trespassing" I am turning around.

It is so sad that an 18 year old girl could be out there in a mess that we have to tell an outdoors-man to prepare for. Depressing. I hope this brings some answers.

l_e4abbe7c92b838c642011a92c273431b.jpg

LLLindsayy,
im sorry if my post depressed you, ill remove it,,,you right mlatta is our outdoorsman, but hes not in Gtown and just warning him of snakes to wear his boots etc, and im not sure how much its storm in charleston the last two days but here its stormed all nite,, sorry if my post up set you or if it made you feel belittled (mlatta) from now on ill read not post,,my prayers are for BD to be safe,etc

No. No. No. NOOOOOO.

This is NOT what I was saying AT ALL.

I was not referring to what you said.

I think it is absolutely necessary that we wish mlatta good luck. It's necessary that he take precautions, because the terrain is, indeed, terrible.

My post was only saying that it's so hard and hurtful for me to believe that our Brittanee might be out in that.

sorry if my post up set you or if it made you feel belittled (mlatta)

Not at all, Rose! I appreciate your advice, it is helpful!

keep posting! I like your :twocents: on stuf..

you're my home-girl, Rose ! :bananalama:

I agree...I like your input since you are right down there in the area and know first hand what it is like in that area. You go girl! We all need to stick together. (which I think we all do really well...every single one of us, lookin' out for each other) My posts tend to get too sappy sometimes, but that is the mom in me probably....I'm a city girl really and the word snake sends me into a frenzy, but has to be mentioned I know!!! I agree with Lindsay that it is so sad to think of Brittanee in a situation like this. Soooo sad. RoseC...keep on tellin' it like it is. Good going.

We need you here RoseC so don't even think about it! I am also saddened that Britt is possibly out in the elements but thank God for mlatta, our outdoorsman and for RoseC, our local advisor. The weather will hopefully clear up for mlatta's journey this weekend. Good luck mlatta. We'll all be waiting here on pins and needles for you to return.

Please don't quit posting RoseC...You are our link to the area down there. Your information is very valuable to us and to BD....missing you...come back.

My offer to help in any way is still open. Just tell me if you need anything, even just water or drinks or a ride, whatever.

:blowkiss:

OneLostGrl, I didn't know you were in SC. I don't know why I thought you were up north.

I know I don't post much, but I'm here, and I look forward to RoseC's posts as much as anyone's. Please don't leave us. For Brittanee's sake stay.

My offer to help in any way is still open. Just tell me if you need anything, even just water or drinks or a ride, whatever.

:blowkiss:

LOL....I am not sure how close you are, but one thing I have wished that we had are some pix taken along the street by the hotel at around the 8:30 to 9 pm hour. We have all done the "google walk" down the street, but since I am familiar with the MB area and have been on that street at that time of night, there is just no comparison to the amount of people and traffic that would have been there the night she was walking. That street and the next one to the west are often bumper to bumper in the evenings. I have seen bursting at the seams crowded convertibles, vans driving with the side doors open, opened up tailgates on suv's with kids hanging out of them, etc.

After I wrote all of that, someone will probably tell me those pix are already on an old thread somewhere....if so, sorry, I missed them along the way.

jmoo

Raeann...

I was there on the day she went missing and I was there again this year for the 1 yr vigil.

Please believe me when I say - the foot traffic and the vehicle traffic was minimal compared to the earlier Spring Break week and the typical Summer vacation time.

The traffic is not what would one would think at that time. Spring Break has wound down and lots of kids have already left on that Sat. morning to go back home. There's appears to be a few stragglers who stay until Sun. morning.

I believe Rose has stated that Spring Break had already been over for the school kids in SC. Spring Break for the college crowd is like the 1st or 2nd week of April, I believe.

So that last Sat. in April is not as busy - especially in that part of MB that I can see and have seen. There is not too much in that area to walk to (around the BWR). There are more 'goings on' down around the amusement park about 2 blocks (south) from where BD was staying at the BH. Then about 6 or 7 blocks north from the BH is the 'downtown' area where there is tons more foot traffic as well as vehicular traffic.

ETA: If you're looking for the feel of foot/vehicle traffic in the area...IMHO a picture taken in June isn't going to be anythinig like a pic taken on that day in April.

LOL....I am not sure how close you are, but one thing I have wished that we had are some pix taken along the street by the hotel at around the 8:30 to 9 pm hour. We have all done the "google walk" down the street, but since I am familiar with the MB area and have been on that street at that time of night, there is just no comparison to the amount of people and traffic that would have been there the night she was walking. That street and the next one to the west are often bumper to bumper in the evenings. I have seen bursting at the seams crowded convertibles, vans driving with the side doors open, opened up tailgates on suv's with kids hanging out of them, etc.

After I wrote all of that, someone will probably tell me those pix are already on an old thread somewhere....if so, sorry, I missed them along the way.

jmoo

Hi Raeann~

Obviously each day is different from the next, but I agree with MBLover....the time and location were just a little off for the normal 'high traffic' of your typical MB spring break. To further what MBLover said, though, remember that we have video of BD walking TO the Blue Water Resort. While there are SOME cars...and I believe she passes a couple of people on foot...but it is VERY empty compared to the typical spring break at Myrtle Beach. Sadly, had BD's friends chosen hotels just a few blocks further, they would have been right in the heart of the MB scene.....where far more people would have been, where far more cameras would have been. Even though the huge crowds would have left already, had BD been closer to the ''strip'' and cruising area, I think her situation may have been FAR more different.

Hello all ... Where is every-1? Probably working like I am *supposed* to be doing.. however, instead I have been plotting my course for tomorrow... I'm hoping I will at least get to roam around a little bit... not sure because it is about to thunderstorm here.. regardless I am still heading up that way and try my bestest :) I'm not planning on going swimming tomorrow, so if that turns out to be the case, I am staying in the car...

I found a killer map on SCDNR's website.. I attached it here (I found nothing on their site prohibiting it) It does NOT print well on 8.5x11, so I zoomed and selected the areas I want, and printed those.

If I cannot access this mysterious "structure" from land, it looks like there is a boat landing, called "Harris Landing" that I could use to get a boat into the South Santee river and then navigate east... I am going to try to locate that boat landing too, time permitting.

I'm anxious to get home and pack up a few things before going out tomorrow. I'm getting up @ the buttcrack of dawn to head out. I also got my mind on the Kingstree sausage biscuits you can get at the "Seewee Outpost" right there on 17 in McClellanville. I bet Rose knows what I am talking about ;)

I'll be on here tomorrow sharing what I found (with pictures! and coordinates!)

Harris Landing:
https://www.dnr.sc.gov/mlands/boatramp_details?p_id=431

SCDNR site where I got the maps
http://www.dnr.sc.gov/wma/specname.html
(See zone 5)

There's this too, which has some sort of viewer, but I didn't much feel like figuring it out, just sharing because someone else might figure it out, and it might be useful:
http://www.dnr.sc.gov/mlands/projectMLviewer.html

Attachments

• WMAMap9.pdf
    3.9 MB · Views: 17

jmoo

Spring break is mobbed- hard for locals to even find a place to park your car to walk to the beach without having to park in a lot for $10.00. Summer, IMO is nothing compared to spring break- it's more family's in the summer time where-as spring break is a bunch of teens running/driving around until all hours.To be honest though I have never felt scared at the beach.. day time, night time, drunk, straight, summer, spring, bike week.. I have walked the blvd at 3 am by myself and still felt safe but I am an adult.. I don't think it's good for all these kids to be out there by themselves until all hours. This case is so sad.. I think about Brit all the time... lost here and nobody being held accountable.

I'm 15 min from the beach so it's no big deal if you want pics of a certain area I'd be happy to take 'em.

OneLostGrl, I didn't know you were in SC. I don't know why I thought you were up north.

I know I don't post much, but I'm here, and I look forward to RoseC's posts as much as anyone's. Please don't leave us. For Brittanee's sake stay.

Well, I'm from Connecticut so you aren't wrong LOL but I moved here to SC about 7 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back2theGardenAgain