Page 9 of 38 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 225 of 935

Thread: Joran Van der Sloot Caught! #2

  1. #201
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    portland, Ore
    Posts
    18,386
    Quote Originally Posted by strach304 View Post
    I think they are being a bit premature since I see no way for them to have Jorans dna profile just yet. I did read on a link here today that they have skin from her nails. Once they have him in custody they can get his dna and compare.
    I had either heard or read yesterday that Joran's DNA was already on file. I immediately thought it was on record since he had been jailed in Aruba. But now thinking about it I know it usually takes more than a few days to do a DNA test.

    It could be they highly suspect the skin under her nail came from him if say a witness reported seeing scratch/s on Joran. xox

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scandi For This Useful Post:


  3. #202
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    19,178
    Quote Originally Posted by Natal View Post
    Interesting. But wouldn't they need to prove that he didnt know where she was or how she died for it to be fraud?

    Fraud I can understand, but extortion? That requires threat or violence, that doesn't make sense.
    We aren't privy to what kind of communication went on as of yet.
    There doesn't have to be a threat of violence-look at David Letterman's case-the guy was trying to extort him under a pretense of writing a screenplay about Letterman.

  4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jjenny For This Useful Post:


  5. #203
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,855
    Quote Originally Posted by Niner View Post
    whew....!!! Just got finished reading ALL the threads on this murder... had to stop for dinner tho!! LOL!
    wanted to comment on the quote below... and then to bed!







    on the knife - I read somewhere (please don't ask where, as I've read MOST of links posted here - but that knife was not found in the room.
    Also, when Joran was arrested he had NOTHING with him... no rucksack or luggage....
    I too would like to know WHEN he'll be 'pushed' across the border tomorrow?? If anyone finds out - please post - or even a video would be good!!
    Good nite all! And prayers to Stephanie's family...
    Guess he wasn't going to leave all around to be discovered for an easy conviction.

    Joran going out for coffee really bothers me - what if he took a cup from the trash where he got coffee and placed it in the room so DNA other than his would be found? I just don't trust him at all. moo

    ETA: Or even an empty can of pop from the trash and set it in the room - reasonable doubt?
    Please think long and hard before calling a child a 'run-a-way':
    You might be giving a 'perk' to the 'perp'.


    Democracy requires the occasional necessity of deferring to the opinions of other people. (Winston Churchill)

  6. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to eyes4crime For This Useful Post:


  7. #204
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    portland, Ore
    Posts
    18,386
    Quote Originally Posted by Niner View Post
    whew....!!! Just got finished reading ALL the threads on this murder... had to stop for dinner tho!! LOL!
    wanted to comment on the quote below... and then to bed!





    on the knife - I read somewhere (please don't ask where, as I've read MOST of links posted here - but that knife was not found in the room.
    Also, when Joran was arrested he had NOTHING with him... no rucksack or luggage....
    I too would like to know WHEN he'll be 'pushed' across the border tomorrow?? If anyone finds out - please post - or even a video would be good!!
    Good nite all! And prayers to Stephanie's family...
    It's so good to see you Niner, Hopefully it will be Breaking News tomoz, at least on CNN or HLN. I was just going to look at the time difference between Oregon {PST} and Peru. I bet it will be first thing in the morning, as from the time her body was found I think the case has moved at a very rapid pace.


  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scandi For This Useful Post:


  9. #205
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Left Coast USA
    Posts
    6,276
    Quote Originally Posted by beach2yall View Post
    The facts that we know are:

    1. Sometime on or prior to 5/10/10 a call was made to 'extort' money -
    - info in re. Natalee's death and/or location of body would be exchanged for the amount of $250,000.

    2. On 5/10/10, a $15,000 "down-payment" was wired from a Birmingham, AL bank to a bank in Aruba.

    3. We know that Joran was in Aruba on 5/10/10.

    4. We know that Joran arrived in South America on 5/14/10.

    THOSE are the FACTS that we know to date.
    I have kept the part I wish to comment on which is, the fact is: "... a wire transfer in the amount of $15,000, from Birmingham, Alabama, to the Netherlands for the purpose of executing and attempting to execute such scheme and artifice, in violation of Title 18, United States Code, Section 1343."

    The fact is, the wire transfer of $15,000 was sent to a financial institution in the Netherlands.

  10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to i.b.nora For This Useful Post:


  11. #206
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Southern CA
    Posts
    910
    It is almost like he is playing a Hannibal Lector twisted mind game.

    snipped...

    Buffalo Bill comes to mind right away...and how sick was THAT bast.?!

    I see a very sick, but not insane person here, but more than that.. I see a totally DIABOLICAL RAGE machine here, whenever he is told....NO, no matter what the circumstances are.

    JMO

  12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SevenSeas For This Useful Post:


  13. #207
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    South FloriDUH
    Posts
    13,537
    Quote Originally Posted by scandi View Post
    I had either heard or read yesterday that Joran's DNA was already on file. I immediately thought it was on record since he had been jailed in Aruba. But now thinking about it I know it usually takes more than a few days to do a DNA test.

    It could be they highly suspect the skin under her nail came from him if say a witness reported seeing scratch/s on Joran. xox
    Don't know if his DNA was already on file (guess it would have to be) but remember with Chelsea King in California. They had Gardner's DNA on file already and had tested her underwear and they matched and that was all done within like 3 days. I questioned how quick - but they have preliminary DNA tests that are that quick. So, who knows - could be they have already tied him to the crime.

  14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wise Old Owl For This Useful Post:


  15. #208
    Quote Originally Posted by panthera View Post
    I really have to go to bed but TWO COFFEES? Oh, here comes the defense that she was still alive when he left the room for good....... MOO
    I imagine that the defence will be that some unknown person did it, he came back, found her dead and then ran away. Since he is a pretty shady person chances are that he will say that some criminal elements came to "get" him, only he was out of the room at the time (lucky for him), and they got her instead.

    It will be interesting to see what he will claim happened. It is going to have to be pretty creative to have even a snowballs hope to get out of this one.

  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Natal For This Useful Post:


  17. #209
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    portland, Ore
    Posts
    18,386
    Quote Originally Posted by eyes4crime View Post
    Guess he wasn't going to leave all around to be discovered for an easy conviction.

    Joran going out for coffee really bothers me - what if he took a cup from the trash where he got coffee and placed it in the room so DNA other than his would be found? I just don't trust him at all. moo

    ETA: Or even an empty can of pop from the trash and set it in the room - reasonable doubt?
    Perish the thought !!!

    I'm still wondering about a link I read yesterday saying that 2 men entered the hotel room at 8:45, with Joran leaving shortly thereafter { or SS}.

    I wonder if he called the two brothers who drove him from that one town {where his bus ride ended} to the border and helped him cross over? And maybe the coffee was for them while they cut a deal and maybe made payment arrangements !! That one point has never been resolved in an other link that I have read. xox

  18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to scandi For This Useful Post:


  19. #210
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    48
    What exactly is it that you believe the AL "forces-that-be" could have done so that they didn't make a "spectacle of themselves"? Were they supposed to invade Aruba? Peru? Chile? to arrest Joran van der Sloot on a $15,000 wire-fraud chage?
    With all due respect, beach, what they could have done, imo, would have been to file these charges weeks ago when they supposedly had evidence of fraud, on or before the date of knowledge that you have given as being on or before 5-10-10.

    I admit that it did strike me the wrong way when the woman, Joyce Vance US ATTY, who spoke on national television, stated that this "wire charge" today against Joran Van Der Sloot has nothing to do with the current murder charges in Peru, and she didn't want to hinder any investigation into the murder charges against JVDS.

    To me, it really appears that the charges levied today by Joyce Vance are indeed entered solely because the "time is right". My opinion only, beach.

  20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lynx FM For This Useful Post:


  21. #211
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    3,655
    Quote Originally Posted by scandi View Post
    I had either heard or read yesterday that Joran's DNA was already on file. I immediately thought it was on record since he had been jailed in Aruba. But now thinking about it I know it usually takes more than a few days to do a DNA test.

    It could be they highly suspect the skin under her nail came from him if say a witness reported seeing scratch/s on Joran. xox
    On page 10 of the flickr page that was linked earlier in the thread from '05, one of the titles is "DNA samples", so it looks like they already have his DNA on file.

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/joranvandersloot/page10/

  22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to butwhatif? For This Useful Post:


  23. #212
    Quote Originally Posted by jjenny View Post
    We aren't privy to what kind of communication went on as of yet.
    There doesn't have to be a threat of violence-look at David Letterman's case-the guy was trying to extort him under a pretense of writing a screenplay about Letterman.
    Ya, but that is still threat - in that case it was the threat of revealing something compromising. In this allegation the only person who would potentially be incriminated would be Joran himself, so how could that be extortion?

  24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Natal For This Useful Post:


  25. #213
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    the Plains & Jordan-Hare stadium
    Posts
    14,207
    Quote Originally Posted by i.b.nora View Post
    I have kept the part I wish to comment on which is, the fact is: "... a wire transfer in the amount of $15,000, from Birmingham, Alabama, to the Netherlands for the purpose of executing and attempting to execute such scheme and artifice, in violation of Title 18, United States Code, Section 1343."

    The fact is, the wire transfer of $15,000 was sent to a financial institution in the Netherlands.
    Thank you! I should know better to go off of my memory even if it was only 4 hours ago I read that doc! lol
    Never interrupt your opponent when they are making a mistake.

  26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beach For This Useful Post:


  27. #214
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,318
    Peru has a National Public Defenderís Service (Defensores de Oficio) with 256 public defenders in 2002. The public defenders work in police units, Criminal Courts, Specialized Criminal Courts, Family Courts, the military justice system, and the Criminal Prosecutorís Office. According to the United Nations Development Programme, Peruís public defenders system is unable to meet the countryís needs due to understaffing, low salaries and an inadequate infrastructure.

    http://www.mnadvocates.org/Background_on_Peru.html

  28. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Carrington For This Useful Post:


  29. #215
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Washington the State
    Posts
    224
    Regarding the extortion attempt, the consensus on either JVM or NG (I can't remember which, sorry) was that it was a "sting", JVDS was set-up. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy JMHO.(read sarcasm here)

  30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmarple For This Useful Post:


  31. #216
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    12,447
    Quote Originally Posted by LNL View Post
    This is an excellent interview.

    Didn't Beth and Jug get divorced a couple years ago?
    Thanks LNL! That was an excellent interview, and I think Jug is right on target with his suspicions. Yes, they divorced sometime in the past couple years.
    My posts are my opinion..........



  32. The Following User Says Thank You to Leila For This Useful Post:

    LNL

  33. #217
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    2,794
    There is a lot of good information in this article, including this about possible rape: Stephany Flores was fully clothed and there were no signs she had been sexually abused, the chief of Peru's criminal police, Gen. Cesar Guardia, told The Associated Press.
    That leads me to believe it was a robbery


    Father of woman killed in Peru says Joran van der Sloot's arrest in her death no 'coincidence'
    By The Associated Press
    June 03, 2010, 9:38PM
    Frank Bajak and Franklin Briceno --- The Associated Press

    LIMA, Peru --Natalee Holloway's family was outraged by how Aruban authorities handled the case of her disappearance, and now the family of another young woman wants justice.

    "This isn't a coincidence, this murder," Stephany Flores' anguished father, Lima entertainment impresario Ricardo Flores, told reporters after Joran van der Sloot's arrest.
    http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2010/06/...d_in_peru.html
    JUSTICE IS COMING HALEIGH AND CAYLEE

    YOU GOT TO LOVE JUDGE STRICKLAND
    At it's core, the defense counsel's motion accuses the undersigned of being a "self aggrandizing media hound". Indeed. The irony is rich.

    Motion granted.

    Stan Strickland
    Circuit Judge

  34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to butterfly1978 For This Useful Post:


  35. #218
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    19,178
    Quote Originally Posted by Natal View Post
    Ya, but that is still threat - in that case it was the threat of revealing something compromising. In this allegation the only person who would potentially be incriminated would be Joran himself, so how could that be extortion?
    Well, presumably saying anything along the lines "if you don't pay, this or that will happen" could be extortion, and we don't know what was said.

  36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jjenny For This Useful Post:


  37. #219
    Has Joran's mother spoken to anyone? Interested to know what she has to say about her darling boy now?

  38. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Brwnigirl For This Useful Post:


  39. #220
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    the Plains & Jordan-Hare stadium
    Posts
    14,207
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynx FM View Post
    With all due respect, beach, what they could have done, imo, would have been to file these charges weeks ago when they supposedly had evidence of fraud, on or before the date of knowledge that you have given as being on or before 5-10-10.

    I admit that it did strike me the wrong way when the woman, Joyce Vance US ATTY, who spoke on national television, stated that this "wire charge" today against Joran Van Der Sloot has nothing to do with the current murder charges in Peru, and she didn't want to hinder any investigation into the murder charges against JVDS.

    To me, it really appears that the charges levied today by Joyce Vance are indeed entered solely because the "time is right". My opinion only, beach.
    Thanks. I think I get your point now.


    The thing is - None of these officials have psychic powers. If this horrible tragedy of the murder of Stephany Rameriz had never happened and Joran had played this poker tournament in Peru as he planned and lost all his money....AGAIN.... It is likely that he would have contacted them again for the balance of the $250,000. IF it had worked out that way and he would have made his way to the U.S., he would have been arrested on American soil. Instead of the criticism, the FBI and AL U.S. Atty. would have been praised from the rooftops for their skills in getting him on U.S. charges...IN THE U.S. this time. They would have been heralded for their smarts.

    Sadly, it did not happen that way. I feel horrible for everyone involved. Even the FBI and AL U.S. Atty. You know what they say about hindsight..... No one had any way of knowing he would use that $15,000 to go on another murder excursion in South America.
    Never interrupt your opponent when they are making a mistake.

  40. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to beach For This Useful Post:


  41. #221
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    portland, Ore
    Posts
    18,386
    Quote Originally Posted by jmarple View Post
    Regarding the extortion attempt, the consensus on either JVM or NG (I can't remember which, sorry) was that it was a "sting", JVDS was set-up. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy JMHO.(read sarcasm here)
    Hi Jmarple, I went back and pulled this link from pp #1 cause I've had a hard time understanding it too:

    http://ftpcontent.worldnow.com/wbrc/...TCOMPLAINT.pdf

    The trigger point I see that fits in this case now:

    * Sending money via a money-wire transfer internationally seems to be against the law when only a promise for something to be traded back for it is given.

    Anyone else see how it actually was that the law was broken? I think it is a weak possibility, but then I don't know all about it either. LOL

  42. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scandi For This Useful Post:


  43. #222
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    2,794
    Quote Originally Posted by scandi View Post
    Hi Jmarple, I went back and pulled this link from pp #1 cause I've had a hard time understanding it too:

    http://ftpcontent.worldnow.com/wbrc/...TCOMPLAINT.pdf

    The trigger point I see that fits in this case now:

    * Sending money via a money-wire transfer internationally seems to be against the law when only a promise for something to be traded back for it is given.

    Anyone else see how it actually was that the law was broken? I think it is a weak possibility, but then I don't know all about it either. LOL
    The best example I have heard so far is think of the David Letterman extortion.
    JUSTICE IS COMING HALEIGH AND CAYLEE

    YOU GOT TO LOVE JUDGE STRICKLAND
    At it's core, the defense counsel's motion accuses the undersigned of being a "self aggrandizing media hound". Indeed. The irony is rich.

    Motion granted.

    Stan Strickland
    Circuit Judge

  44. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to butterfly1978 For This Useful Post:


  45. #223
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    12,447
    Quote Originally Posted by scandi View Post
    Me too Panthera. Do you think he will walk willingly across the line or will he need a big push?
    I wonder if the news media will be there filming Joran walking across the border? This story is big and I suspect they'll be there.
    My posts are my opinion..........



  46. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Leila For This Useful Post:


  47. #224
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    12,447
    Quote Originally Posted by eyes4crime View Post
    Time of death - 8:30am and what times were given for Joran going out for coffee? TIA
    I think the time given for Joran leaving the hotel is 8:00am. Stephany could have been mortally wounded, unconscious, but not deceased when Joran left.
    My posts are my opinion..........



  48. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Leila For This Useful Post:


  49. #225
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,685
    Quote Originally Posted by scandi View Post
    Hi Jmarple, I went back and pulled this link from pp #1 cause I've had a hard time understanding it too:

    http://ftpcontent.worldnow.com/wbrc/...TCOMPLAINT.pdf

    The trigger point I see that fits in this case now:

    * Sending money via a money-wire transfer internationally seems to be against the law when only a promise for something to be traded back for it is given.

    Anyone else see how it actually was that the law was broken? I think it is a weak possibility, but then I don't know all about it either. LOL
    The extortion that I see here is obtaining money through trickery or through the use of a device that would cause the person extorted to experience severe emotional distress.

  50. The Following User Says Thank You to SoCalSleuth For This Useful Post:


Page 9 of 38 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Joran Van der Sloot Caught!!
    By Tricia in forum Crimes in the News
    Replies: 655
    Last Post: 06-03-2010, 09:06 PM
  2. Joran Van der Sloot
    By april4sky in forum Crimes in the News
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-11-2008, 03:16 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •