GUILTY SC - Anthony Hill, 30, shot dead, dragged 11 miles, Newberry, 2 June 2010

crystalgenie

Reaction score
SC police: Black man shot to death, body dragged

NEWBERRY, S.C. — Two men who worked at a South Carolina poultry processing plant had spent most of the day together Tuesday, hanging out late into the evening, maybe rehashing their long shifts.

By the next morning, one of the men — who was black — was dead, shot to death and then dragged behind a pickup truck for more than 10 miles down a country road. The other — a white man — was in jail, charged with murder, and authorities were investigating the death as a possible hate crime.

http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-national/20100603/US.South.Carolina.Body.Dragged/

FBI Investigates Alleged Shooting Death, Dragging of Black Man by White Acquaintance

NEWBERRY, S.C. (CBS/WLTX/AP) The South Carolina shooting death of an African American man whose body was then dragged behind a pickup truck for miles is being investigated as a possible hate crime, after a white man was arrested.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20006697-504083.html

Uggggh! Didn't this happen in Texas a few years back? What a horrendous thing to do!

Prayers to this poor man's family.

Salem

so at no point does it occur to this guy who gets up everyday and goes to work like a regular Joe that pulling a fellow human behind a truck, even just thinking about it, is SICK! It's not like a crime of passion, heat of the moment and all that. I just don't get not running smack into yourself and saying, "What the h*ll am I doing?"

This is right down the road from me. I am absolutely appalled at this. Newberry seems like a nice place. Praying for that poor mans family!

Police: Dozens of guns found in SC suspect's home
Published: Friday, Jun. 04, 2010 / Updated: Friday, Jun. 04, 2010 01:40 PM

Authorities have found dozens of guns in the home of a white South Carolina man accused of shooting and killing a black man, then dragging his body more than 10 miles down country roads, the state police chief said Friday.

"They're testing a few of those to see which one we can match up as the murder weapon," said State Law Enforcement Division director Reggie Lloyd, whose agents are working with the FBI on the case. "There's everything from assault rifles to hunting rifles, handguns."

The cache of weapons was found in a mobile home rented by Gregory Collins in Newberry, a town of 11,000 about 40 miles northwest of Columbia. Collins, 19, was charged with murder after authorities say he shot Anthony Hill, his co-worker at a poultry processing plant.

Killed by a gunshot wound to the head, authorities said Hill's body was then tied to a pickup truck with nylon rope and dragged nearly 11 miles down a country road. When the tether snapped, his body was left in the roadway, where a passing motorist discovered it around 4:30 a.m. Wednesday.

Tracing the bloody trail left by Hill's body, deputies were led to Collins' home, where for several hours they engaged in a standoff Wednesday until Collins surrendered after state police agents fired tear gas inside.

Collins was not armed when he was arrested, but Newberry County Sheriff Lee Foster said he had an empty pistol holster on his side. Inside Collins' rented mobile home, Lloyd said agents discovered dozens of assault-type weapons, a shotgun, knives, ammunition and several handguns now being tested to find out if one of them was used to kill Hill.

"It was a close contact wound, so we're really sure it was one of those handguns," Lloyd said.

http://www.lakewyliepilot.com/2010/06/04/746752/police-dozens-of-guns-found-in.html

Victim Anthony Hill​
100603075550_anthony-hill-web-newbe.jpg

Anthony was a committed father of two who was in the Army and worked as a volunteer fireman.​

Not saying there is a connection but interesting to note...

Active Neo-Confederate Groups in South Carolina;

City​
Chapter​
Travelers Rest​
Dixie Republic​
Aiken​
League of the South​
Spartanburg​
League of the South​
Newberry
League of the South
Abbeville​
League of the South​
Anderson​
League of the South​
Bamberg​
League of the South​
Calhoun County​
League of the South​
Greenville​
League of the South​
Greenwood​
League of the South​
Laurens​
League of the South​
Richland​
League of the South​
Saluda​
League of the South​
Florence​
League of the South​
Columbia​
League of the South​
Clemson​
League of the South Institute​
Cayce​
League of the South/Southern Patriot Shop​
Abbeville​
League of the South/Southern Patriot Super Store​

http://www.splcenter.org/get-informed/intelligence-files/ideology/neo-confederate/active_hate_groups

*Just wanted to add the following about LOS;

A League of Their Own
The League of the South, a group at the center of the neo-Confederate movement, says it's not racist, but the evidence shows otherwise...
http://www.splcenter.org/get-informed/intelligence-report/browse-all-issues/2000/summer/a-league-of-their-own?page=0,1

as long as legal hate groups are around there will be forever hate crimes :( and then if they aren't around there would still be more.

This is horrifying, unthinkable. I'll never understand this kind of hatred. So sad.

Police: Dozens of guns found in SC suspect's home
Published: Friday, Jun. 04, 2010 / Updated: Friday, Jun. 04, 2010 01:40 PM

Authorities have found dozens of guns in the home of a white South Carolina man accused of shooting and killing a black man, then dragging his body more than 10 miles down country roads, the state police chief said Friday.

"They're testing a few of those to see which one we can match up as the murder weapon," said State Law Enforcement Division director Reggie Lloyd, whose agents are working with the FBI on the case. "There's everything from assault rifles to hunting rifles, handguns."

The cache of weapons was found in a mobile home rented by Gregory Collins in Newberry, a town of 11,000 about 40 miles northwest of Columbia. Collins, 19, was charged with murder after authorities say he shot Anthony Hill, his co-worker at a poultry processing plant.

Killed by a gunshot wound to the head, authorities said Hill's body was then tied to a pickup truck with nylon rope and dragged nearly 11 miles down a country road. When the tether snapped, his body was left in the roadway, where a passing motorist discovered it around 4:30 a.m. Wednesday.

Tracing the bloody trail left by Hill's body, deputies were led to Collins' home, where for several hours they engaged in a standoff Wednesday until Collins surrendered after state police agents fired tear gas inside.

Collins was not armed when he was arrested, but Newberry County Sheriff Lee Foster said he had an empty pistol holster on his side. Inside Collins' rented mobile home, Lloyd said agents discovered dozens of assault-type weapons, a shotgun, knives, ammunition and several handguns now being tested to find out if one of them was used to kill Hill.

"It was a close contact wound, so we're really sure it was one of those handguns," Lloyd said.

http://www.lakewyliepilot.com/2010/06/04/746752/police-dozens-of-guns-found-in.html

------------------------------------

The "man" who did this should be tied to a truck and dragged to jail. There is no need to shoot first,let him enjoy the ride. My sympathy to the black mans family. :angel:

My two cents, for what it's worth as a South Carlolinian is that this wasn't a hate crime. This was two guys who worked together who were drinking together on their day off (which I will bet they've done before) and an argument ensued. One guy killed other guy in rage of argument (assuming argument, who knows) just happens it was a white guy killing a black guy. I know for an absolute positive fact that if you are racist like KKK/LOS, you do not have black people over to your home to just hang around and drink. Unfortunately I know KKK people, they do not socialize with blacks or other minorities at all, not even as a ploy to get them in a vulnerable situation (as some might be suspecting). This was not a premeditated murder as evidenced by the choice of how to dispose of body.

What really stands out to me is the sheer stupidity of the supposed perp for dragging a body as a means to get rid of it. I feel pretty sure that dragging the body was the "easiest" way he could think to get it off his property, being that a dead body is hard to lift into a vehicle and in his intoxicated state just decided to drag it way away not thinking that even a dumb bloodhound could follow such a scent. Stupid but convenient for LE and for justice.

My two cents, for what it's worth as a South Carlolinian is that this wasn't a hate crime. This was two guys who worked together who were drinking together on their day off (which I will bet they've done before) and an argument ensued. One guy killed other guy in rage of argument (assuming argument, who knows) just happens it was a white guy killing a black guy. I know for an absolute positive fact that if you are racist like KKK/LOS, you do not have black people over to your home to just hang around and drink. Unfortunately I know KKK people, they do not socialize with blacks or other minorities at all, not even as a ploy to get them in a vulnerable situation (as some might be suspecting). This was not a premeditated murder as evidenced by the choice of how to dispose of body.

What really stands out to me is the sheer stupidity of the supposed perp for dragging a body as a means to get rid of it. I feel pretty sure that dragging the body was the "easiest" way he could think to get it off his property, being that a dead body is hard to lift into a vehicle and in his intoxicated state just decided to drag it way away not thinking that even a dumb bloodhound could follow such a scent. Stupid but convenient for LE and for justice.

While I respect your right to your opinion, I couldn't disagree more with every aspect of it.

From August 2011:

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20110809/PC16/308099948

Collins, 20, pleaded guilty to voluntary manslaughter, desecration of human remains and possession of a firearm during the commission of a violent crime, Peace said. He was sentenced to 28 years in prison and must serve 85 percent of that time before being eligible for parole. He will spend five years on probation for the desecration charge once he is released from prison.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back