3 Year Old Saves Baby From Drowning

My 4 year old daughter (now a teenager) saved my 1 year old son from being killed by a car once. We were having a cookout in the backyard with a bunch of family/friends and my husband and I each thought the other was watching him. I looked up to see her going around the corner of the house and I ran after her, yelling for her to stop. When I got around the corner, I saw her yanking her brother back from the path of a car by his shirt. I never even saw him leave the yard but thank God she did! We lived on a very busy road at the time, and we watched the kids like hawks- every other time.
It scares the heck out of me to think about this, even 11 years later!

[bbm]

apparently the mother was inside, according to the article
also said the 11 month old fell in a bucket of water but it must've been more like a trough or cooler b/c I would think a bucket or pail would fall over with the weight of the child ...

Actually children drown in buckets all the time...

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/5006.html

"Large buckets and young children can be a deadly combination. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) has received reports of over 275 young children who have drowned in buckets since 1984. Over 30 other children have been hospitalized. Almost all of the containers were 5-gallon buckets containing liquids. Most were used for mopping floors or other household chores. Many were less than half full..."

It's amazing how many common everyday household things can pose hazards for small children especially babies. It's a wonder all of us mom's aren't nervous wrecks ALL the time.

wow, just that quickly, life can change. Here's what I surmise happened, based on the article and life experience as a mother.

Mom and kids are outside, kids are playing with water toys using a bucket of water mom has filled for that purpose. Mom steps itno the house to refill a sippy cup, grab a paper towel, whatever, and just that quickly, the 11 month old has leaned too far over teh bucket.

It is a reminder to all of us how quickly our little ones can get in harms way.

Glad the baby is okay.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth