KY KY - Janet 'Jolene' Brown Stephens, 25, Ashland, 14 Oct 2009

5CentsWorth

The Proof is in the Pudding
Reaction score
I was looking on the Ashland, KY Topix and saw a photo of a woman missing since October along with over 100 comments. I did a search here and couldn't find anything about it. There really seems to be almost no media attention. I did see a better photo of her on the Huntington, WV Topix. I saw a few posts on the Ashland Topix by her mother. The police seem to think she has went missing on her own but her mother seems to disagree.

I searched the local newspaper in Ashland and did find one article:

http://dailyindependent.com/local/x1192786335/Area-woman-still-missing

ASHLAND — One evening last October, right around dusk, Janet Brown kissed her mother on the cheek and walked out the door.

She was just going to walk down to the BP station a couple of blocks away for a pack of cigarettes and a bottle of pop.

That was the last time Alana Stephens saw her daughter.

Reactions: mrz
Is her legal last name Brown or Stephens?

From what I read on the Topix she goes by the name Jolene and they listed her name on the thread with the photo as Jolene Stephens.

Police Asking for Help in Missing Woman Case

Police are turning to the public for help in the disappearance of a Boyd County woman.

Kentucky State Police in Ashland tell WSAZ.com Janet Jolene Stephens-Brown has been missing since October 2009.

Jolene was 25 years old at the time of her disappearance.

She was last seen in the area of Junior’s Food Mart on 29th Street in Ashland, KY.

Officers say Jolene did not have ties to anyone outside the local area.

All of her personal belongings were left at her home and there is no indication that she intentionally fled the area.

Snipped from http://www.wsaz.com/news/headlines/Police_Asking_for_Help_in_Missing_Woman_Case_120367994.html

Good to see Janet's case back in the media today. I hope this helps generate some new leads and answers for Janet's family and friends.

Status Missing
First name Janet
Middle name Jolene
Last name Stephens-Brown
Nickname/Alias Janet Jolene Myers
Date last seen October 14, 2009 10:27
Date entered 09/20/2010
Age last seen 25 to years old
Age now 30 years old
Race White
Ethnicity Other
Sex Female
Height (inches) 61.0 to 63.0
Weight (pounds) 110.0 to 125.0
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/8206/22
Dental Status: Dental information / charting is currently not available
DNA Status: Sample submitted - Tests complete
Fingerprint Information Status: Fingerprint information is available and entered
12738.jpg

Mother still looking for answers 10 years after daughter disappears

ASHLAND, Ky. (WSAZ) -- It has been 10 long and heart-wrenching years for Harlie Brown. Her daughter, Janet Jolene Stephens Brown, disappeared from Ashland in October 2009. Since then, the case has gone cold.

"I'm hurting," Brown said. "I want answers."

Investigators say was last seen in the area of the old Junior's Food Mart on 29th Street in Ashland. She did not have ties to anyone outside the local area.

All of her personal belongings were left at her home, and there is no indication that she intentionally left the area.

"I never thought that it would be this way. I pray every day, every night. I ask God to watch over her, keep her safe. Let her be warm, let her be eating."

Brown says her daughter had left their home along Belmont Street to go to a nearby convenience store, and never returned.

"I want to put my arms around her, tell her I love her and ask her where she's been."

For the last 10 years the family has held vigils, search parties and passed flyers around with Jolene's picture as they keep her story alive. They have also worked with the national non-profit group, We Help the Missing, trying to spread the word.

"It's heartbreaking," said Kay Nolan with We Help the Missing. "They deserve answers, they deserve closure. Somebody knows what happened to Jolene. People don't just vanish in to thin air."

Kentucky State Police say if you have information, you can call the Ashland post at 606-928-6421. Callers can remain anonymous.

In my search to find out more on another woman missing from Ashland and found Jolene. It's so many years apart between the two but they both went missing from 29th Street area.

@MadMcGoo one for your spreadsheet of KY death and destruction (tongue in cheek and absolutely no disrespect mean to Jolene or others).

@MadMcGoo one for your spreadsheet of KY death and destruction (tongue in cheek and absolutely no disrespect mean to Jolene or others).
As always, thank you for the tag! ;) I can’t think of any KY UID off the top of my head who fits her description. She’s got some distinctive tattoos, so I’ll keep an eye out! While I’m here...
Name: Janet Jolene Stephens-Brown
7525799A-3D32-404C-A41D-4F500B909735.jpeg E4FC29CE-0308-4CB2-83CA-E1A2C1DFA23D.jpeg
Case Classification: Endangered Missing
Missing Since: October 14, 2009
Location Last Seen: Ashland, Boyd County, Kentucky

Physical Description
Date of Birth: July 26, 1984
Race: White
Height: 5'1"
Weight: 110-125 lbs.
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Hazel
Nickname/Alias: Janet Jolene Myers, Jo-Jo
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Small scar on chest. Tattoos; Two hearts on each forearm "Ashley "Michael"

Identifiers
Dentals: Not Available
Fingerprints: Available
DNA: Available

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: Unknown
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Glasses

Circumstances of Disappearance
Janet Stephens-Brown was last seen 10/14/2009 at Jr Foodmart on 29th Street in Ashland KY. She was possibly seen in the Vincent Apartments parking lot in Ashland on 11/11/09.

Investigating Agency(s)
Agency Name: Kentucky State Police - Post 14
Agency Contact Person: Detective Ben Cramer
Agency Phone Number: 606-928-6421
Agency E-Mail: N/A
Agency Case Number: M208534940

NCIC Case Number: Unknown
NamUs Case Number: 8206

Information Source(s)
NamUs
Facebook
Family Member

Admin Notes
Added: 8/4/17; Last Updated: 8/4/17

Unidentified Person Exclusions per NamUs:
UP8154 09/09/2010 Perry PA
UP11748 10/18/2013 Clark IL
UP12683 06/06/2014 Newport News VA

Bumping up case.
Was she aquainted with anyone at the Vincent apartments where she might have been seen?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PoignantEcho