Reaction score
Please continue here.

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106279"]Part #5[/ame]

Please continue here.

Part #1

Part #2

Part #3

Part #4

If you haven't read the rules or TOS lately, now might be a good time to do so. The Rules - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Once again, Websleuths is a victim friendly forum. We do not sleuth family until we are given a reason to do so. No one in this case has been named a POI. Further sleuthing, disparaging comments, and speculation about family involvement will not be tolerated. Anyone continuing to do so will be given a time out. THIS IS THE FINAL WARNING.

It is easy to blame the family. And yes, it is important to look there. But at this point, LE has given us no reason to do so. So for now, get out of your "sleuthing comfort zone". There are dozens of other avenues to explore.

Also, we NEVER sleuth minors. You may link to Facebook pages, but do not post direct quotes. And only link to those directly involved in the case.

As always, if you have any questions, please ask. You can PM a moderator, or check the Threadiquette thread that is a sticky at the top of the forum. (Threadiquette- Questions about rules welcome here - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community)

Please do not go off-topic. For example, we had an issue in the last thread with posters picking apart Kyron's science project, or the t-shirt he is wearing. That is off-topic unless you can directly tie it to his disappearance. Hope that's clear.

Here's a pretty informative article about school absence procedures. What it tells me is that even if Skyline had used the automated reporting to parents, they still might not have been notified until it was too late.

There HAS to be a reason that Kyron's teacher wasn't concerned about his absence. She knew that he had been in class. Probably on any other day, say, if they had gone to lunch and then returned and he was not there, she would have been alarmed.

But why, on this day, was she not alarmed about him not being at his desk? That's part of the answer to this perplexing mystery, I think.

http://www.columbian.com/news/2010/jun/09/missing-child-a-wake-up-call-for-local-officials/

Although I really feel that this was a planned out scenario, what if someone overheard the stepmom telling the teacher about the appointment and knew if he was missing would prob. not throw up any red flags ?

Just a thought ....

no new news? I was hoping to wake up this am and see anything posted.

Is it a fact that Kyron talked to a friend about an electricity science day project? Does anyone have a reference for this?

If I can please get this straight.He was seen at the south entrance at the school?Is that the front of the school?Why would he be at that entrance?I'm starting to believe he was waiting for someone.

Here's a pretty informative article about school absence procedures. What it tells me is that even if Skyline had used the automated reporting to parents, they still might not have been notified until it was too late.

There HAS to be a reason that Kyron's teacher wasn't concerned about his absence. She knew that he had been in class. Probably on any other day, say, if they had gone to lunch and then returned and he was not there, she would have been alarmed.

But why, on this day, was she not alarmed about him not being at his desk? That's part of the answer to this perplexing mystery, I think.

http://www.columbian.com/news/2010/jun/09/missing-child-a-wake-up-call-for-local-officials/

bbm Especially if his backpack was at his desk or cubby! Other kids would have seen his backpack at the cubby also.

Missing child a wake-up call for local officialsClark County reacts to Portland case
.By Howard Buck
Columbian staff writer

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The numbing disappearance of Portland second-grader Kyron Horman on Friday no doubt sent a shudder through many Clark County school parents.

It also set off alarm bells for the area’s school safety officers.

Thankfully, the county’s largest three school districts already have security measures in place to thwart a possible repeat of whatever transpired at Skyline School, tucked into the hills west of Portland.

Safety officers reached on Tuesday say they’ve reviewed campus procedures and issued staff reminders, just in case. And leaders of two Battle Ground primary schools are pursuing one important policy change.

“That’s a very scary scenario for any school district,” said Scott Deutsch, safety and risk manager for Evergreen Public Schools. “My heart goes out to that family, and that school.”

Automated locking doors; surveillance cameras; prompt telephone calls to alert parents to pupil no-shows: The small, rural Skyline School lacked these modern amenities, Portland school officials said.

Agreed - and its such a small school - his back-pack would have sat there (at is desk or in a back room in a coat area?) all day and no one was alarmed? Like you said there HAS to be a reason that Kyron's teacher(s) wasn't concerned about his absence..and I am assuming that he had more than one class/teacher so it would have been multiple teachers that were not concerned as well..

I agree completely that we have seen all kinds of reactions from parents in different cases, who knows how I would react.

I just don't see the harm, in a statement saying we know he is out there please keep searching and thank you. I am not saying it is required at all, and if it can harm the investigation or search then I am completely missing how..(Not saying it isn't possible, just sometimes I dont think of all things when trying to figure it out).

Can anyone explain how a statement like that would harm the search for him..

Also I have seen people talking of the stepmom going to the gym since he has been missing? Did I misunderstand that, or is that what has been stated?:crazy:

Another child is saying this...I am taking it with a grain of salt as the time does not make sense...I believe the friend said Kyron went to look at it right before class started, when class was due to start at 10AM...so I am not sure about this. Children generally have no concept of time, IMO. Also I am really surprised and not thrilled that any parent allowed their child to speak to media when LE has not confirmed a word to the public about any sightings. Oh well, 15 minutes of fame and all that...JMO (meaning parent...not child.)

I have not seen the media source on this, just read about it on here, BTW.
I can't find a reference for this, so it might just be rumor. (?)

I think at some point that the 'auto locking' doors and increased securtity won't stop someone from committing this kind of crime. As the old addage goes; "where there is a will, there is a way".

For the doors to be locked it would mean that they coudn't be opened from the outside, they would still have to open from the inside for fire safety. How do we know that Kyron didn't walk out that door to meet someone?

Still wonder why LE wouldn't comment on a reporter's question about whether or not there was a "makeshift" home in the woods.

Look at all the windows at the SW exit Kyron was seen at!

Rumor: mentioned in one of the earliest threads that several students reported a strange, creepy man by the school. Could that have been the incident reported in police logs?

Recently posted in the previous thread (not a fact, just someone's post): the person to see Kyron last was his best friend and desk-mate... He was said to have been interviewed on tv. Hope he's getting protection 24-7 also.

I don't have the right vocabulary, but this sounds like "an inside job" in so many ways... LE behavior, family behavior, the stifling of the principal's responses to questions by LE (even though it was intimated it would be a brief conference)... the way LE mentioned criminal background checks... the principal's eyes seen shifting in the video (he may have been freaked out and in shock too)....

If canines were brought into the school, and they didn't have a hit, that makes this a larger mystery. However, with Kyron at 50 pounds (I'm sad to imagine this, and really sorry for this image), I could carry a child out in a duffel bag with one hand, while carrying some science fair display material (or some other "this-is-just-normal" stuff) in the other hand...

If LE feels people aren't at risk, that this was a specific crime, then I feel they know who is responsible and are watching that person. Otherwise, it would be irresponsible to endanger the public.

So, it sounds like it's just a few more days until they put together enough evidence to ensure a conviction (JMHO). I have a sinking feeling about Kyron's well-being today, but from reading here, apparently the parents and LE seem "better" --- maybe in terms of a resolution (Kyron found, or ransom paid), or just closure after days of exhaustion and hellish stress.

Agreed - and its such a small school - his back-pack would have sat there (at is desk or in a back room in a coat area?) all day and no one was alarmed? Like you said there HAS to be a reason that Kyron's teacher(s) wasn't concerned about his absence..and I am assuming that he had more than one class/teacher so it would have been multiple teachers that were not concerned as well..

BBM
I am unsure how elementary schools are structured there but a 7 year old in 2nd grade where I am at would not have more than one teacher (except for classes like music or PE which do not take place every day but only a couple of days a week for an hour each). So there may have only been one teacher to be concerned or not as to where he was.

I can't find a reference for this, so it might just be rumor. (?)

In the last thread, someone posted they heard it on the local nighttime news on Fox channel 12. I haven't found any articles or videos on it yet, but I'm checking the website. kptv.com

ETA: Well it just popped up lol:

Multnomah County Sheriff's Capt. Jason Gates said Kyron's stepmother brought him to school for a school science fair and last saw Kyron near his classroom at about 8:45 a.m.

TP, Kyron's classmate, said he last saw his friend at about the same time when Kyron told him he was headed to look at another student's science project.

"He walked by the hallway and I'm like, 'Hi, Kyron,' and he's like, 'Hi. I'm going to go see this cool one. It's electric.' I'm like, 'Alright, bye.' And that's the last time I saw him," Tanner said. "He never did make it back to class."

Classmate: 'I Hope My Best Friend Comes Back'
Kyron Horman Last Seen Friday Morning
POSTED: 7:06 am PDT June 9, 2010
UPDATED: 7:16 am PDT June 9, 2010

http://www.kptv.com/news/23842774/detail.html

I'm curious about the older step brothers camping trip. Have we heard any info about when it started and when it eneded?

As an experienced classroom teacher I can't wrap my head around all this. Most of my experience is with 5th graders (a little older than Kyron) however, I was constantly "counting heads" - visual monitoring.

Those days - science fair, talent show, etc. are very hectic and usually logistical nightmares. Even more reason to keep track of your kids.

Teacher knew he was there in the AM and yet "gone by 10 AM or so". Without a parent or guardian telling me they were taking him - I would have raised red flags immediately. Then when the talent show rolls around and he's a participant - and not there? Definitely would have been asking questions and talking to the principal and security based at the school.

Who was running the talent show? Probably another teacher - possibly the music teacher. Didn't he/she do a "roll call" of participants? What action was taken when Kyron wasn't there for that?

With Kyron being an even younger child - this teacher should have been more vigilant about her responsiblities. JMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaRhea82