Teacher encouraged scapegoating?

MaureenN

Reaction score
Just wanted to share this Letter to the Editor from my local newspaper. http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=386227

I know kids who go to this school (and have a 4th grader and 2nd grader of my own, all caught up in this recent 'silly band' craze). And, I have emails in to the two school board members who I know personally, to see if they can share any more details with me that might explain this at all from the school's point of view.

But, from what this letter says, it's simple sadism on the part of the teacher -and- encouraging bullying behavior on the part of the students. I'm aching inside right now, imagining my own highly sensitive son or even my 'normally sensitive' daughter in the place of the scapegoated student for the day.

I'm hoping that my school board friends (who also have children right around that same age) can either explain this or let me know that the teacher has been removed from a teaching position for the time being.

FYI - first reply from a school board member saying "Hi Maureen - Thanks for passing this on - I was not aware of this at all. I will look into it."

I know her and have a good idea of her philosophies on childhood... and know that she will look into this as soon as she can (and act on it). :)

Reply from 2nd school board member... "This is the first I've heard of this so I'm sorry I have no information. I wonder if the child at some time received some of the bands from the "prize jar" and thus perhaps that is why the teacher felt it was ok to put them back for another to earn since this child did not handle having them appropriately? I'm sure this child's mom has also purchased them for him as well though too. I have a hard time believing a teacher would do this - and I too hope that is more of a he/said, she/said. If I hear something more, I will let you know."

She, too, will most certainly follow up on this.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back