748 users online (108 members and 640 guests)  

Websleuths News

CA - Marie Elizabeth "Marliz" Spannhake, 19, Chico, 31 Jan 1976

Last seen on January 31, 1976, when she left a Chico fleamarket after a fight with her fiancé, 19-year-old "Marliz" was never seen again - leaving all of her belongings untouched at her apartment. She is still listed as "endangered missing," and her case has certainly gone cold.

While police initially suspected her fiancé in her disappearance, Jan, the wife of convicted kidnapper/sadist Cameron Hooker, has given believable statements that her husband was responsible for kidnapping, torturing and murdering Marie Elizabeth on January 31, 1976, after the couple picked her up hitchhiking back to her apartment. Jan knew certain details, such as Spannhake's origins in Ohio, her apartment address and the fact that she went by the pet name "Marliz," which she likely could not have known otherwise.

While LE believed Jan Hooker's account of Spannhake's murder -- that she was something of a precursor-gone-wrong to Hooker's infamous 1977 kidnapping of survivor Colleen Stan (Colleen Stan) -- they could not prosecute Hooker based solely on accomplice testimony, and no remains were recovered where Jan thought they might have buried the young victim. Therefore, while Hooker is currently serving a maximum sentence of 104 years for the seven year imprisonment, torture and rape of Stan, he has never been officially charged, tried or convicted in connection with Marliz Spannhake.

So, while there is a plausible story of what happened to his young woman, her remains have yet to be recovered, and there is still no official "truth" in her case.

I wanted to highlight this case for those trying to ID unidentified remains, and to show that people are still thinking about Marliz, who would be celebrating her 54th birthday next week.

Doe Network link.

TruTV

If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Chico Police Department
    530-897-4911

Last edited by KateB; 04-08-2015 at 05:36 PM. Reason: repair url tag.

According to Jan Hooker, the couple disposed of Marliz's remains quite far north of their Red Bluff, CA, home - somewhere off Highway 44 in the mountains in a shallow grave along side a dirt road (possibly a logging road) that might no longer exist, or may now be a paved road in its own right. She said she recalled it might have been near a stream. According to Jan Hooker, it had been dark and snowy that night, so her memory (also clouded with time and fear) is not exact on the location.

Red Bluff and Chico LE did a number of searches with and without Jan Hooker, including infrared satellite imaging, but to no avail.

Source: Perfect Victim, Norton & McGuire (1989)

Undated photo.

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: June 20, 1956
    Age at Time of Disappearance: 19 years old
    Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'5"; 110-120 lbs.
    Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; green eyes.
    AKA: Marliz

The body has yet to be found, however the book: "Against Their Will: Sadistic Kidnappers and the Courageous Stories of Their innocent victims" gives chilling details about how she was killed.

in 2011, author Jodie Foster wrote a book about ghosts and mentioned that Marie's Elizabeth ghost still haunts the area
    http://www.redbluffdailynews.com/news/ci_19232153

CA - Help Colleen Stan keep her brutal hostage-taker/suspected murderer behind bars

https://charleyross.wordpress.com/20...-colleen-stan/

I have never heard about Marliz before for some reason, as if the Colleen Stan case wasn't already bad enough. Is it really too late to charge Cameron Hooker for murder in Marliz' death?

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel85 View Post
    The body has yet to be found, however the book: "Against Their Will: Sadistic Kidnappers and the Courageous Stories of Their innocent victims" gives chilling details about how she was killed.

in 2011, author Jodie Foster wrote a book about ghosts and mentioned that Marie's Elizabeth ghost still haunts the area
    http://www.redbluffdailynews.com/news/ci_19232153
    I don't know how many people on this forum believe in ghosts and all that but I'll tell you I lived right across the street from this apartment complex in the Forrest Park Apartments. At one point the apartments that Marliz lived in was called Walnut Gardens (they did a remodel and a name change while I lived there, shortly after the SciFi channel profiled the haunting there) and I have to tell you that you can just feel the weird vibe when you walk by the damn place. I'm a weird so after two years of nightmares constantly and always waking up at exactly the same time every night I looked up my neighborhood and found this story. I mean it's not exactly in the move to Chico brochure. Turns out they even tried renumbering the apartments at one point in order to get people to move in and stay. I had to go check the place out after that and yeah, bad energy. Such a tragic and weird story.

I watch hed the Lifetime movie The Girl In The Box" last night. At the close of the movie appeared this caption: "Marlitz has never been found. It would have been nice if someone had bothered to spell her name correctly. This poor girl has lost everything, including her name.
    "...And the villagers never liked you
    They are dancing and stamping on you
    They always knew it was you."

Sylvia Plath

I just watched the ID special on this, I wish they would put Cameron in a box until he remembered where he put this poor girl. She deserves a proper burial. And, IMO, he deserves to be left in a box until he ceases to exist.
    'Every life has a measure of sorrow, and sometimes this is what awakens us.' - Steven Tyler

Quote Originally Posted by Dogface View Post
    I just watched the ID special on this, I wish they would put Cameron in a box until he remembered where he put this poor girl. She deserves a proper burial. And, IMO, he deserves to be left in a box until he ceases to exist.
    He may not be in a box, but at least he's in prison. I do wish they built jail cells extra small for guys like Cameron.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozoner View Post
    He may not be in a box, but at least he's in prison. I do wish they built jail cells extra small for guys like Cameron.
    They do have special cells for guys like him ; but not in this world.
    "...And the villagers never liked you
    They are dancing and stamping on you
    They always knew it was you."

Sylvia Plath

Quote Originally Posted by Lavender Moon View Post
    They do have special cells for guys like him ; but not in this world.
    Let's change that. I have a design in mind: 5 feet long, 2 feet wide, and 10 inches high, with a built in trough for his daily ration of syrup-of-ipecac-flavored gruel.