GUILTY WI - Samuel Aegerter, 30, killed in road rage incident, Janesville, 4 June 2010

mssheila

Reaction score
These stories are in chronological order as the case has progressed.

http://gazettextra.com/news/2010/jun/06/janesville-man-killed-shooting/

JANESVILLE — A Janesville man was killed Friday night by an apparent stranger on a motorcycle who pursued the car he was riding in and shot him.
Samuel M. Aegerter, 30, of 1113 N. Osborne Ave., Janesville, was shot at about 11:45 p.m. He was transported to Mercy Hospital and was pronounced dead at 12:52 a.m.
“You never see stuff like this happen in Janesville, not on an open, broad street like that,” said Nicole Prochazka, who was one of dozens who filled Aegerter’s Facebook page with shock, memories and condolences Saturday.
Janesville Police Chief Dave Moore agreed: “We have very few stranger-on-stranger crimes in this community anyway, and then to have one that results in a homicide is even more unique.”
<SNIP>
Suspect in custody in homicide

http://gazettextra.com/news/2010/jun/08/suspect-homicide-sweet-guy/

JANESVILLE — The man being held in connection with Friday’s fatal shooting seemed anything but a murder suspect to his family and neighbors.
Instead, words such as “sweetheart” and “big-hearted southern guy” were the first things that came to mind for them.
Police on Monday afternoon arrested James M. Humphrey, 44, of 1473 Marquette St., Janesville, on suspicion of first-degree intentional homicide.
Humphrey is accused of being the motorcyclist who fired a handgun on West Court Street on Friday night, killing Sam M. Aegerter, 30, of Janesville.
Police had not recovered a weapon as of Monday evening, Deputy Chief Dan Davis said.
Police on Monday afternoon were seen searching among trees behind Humphrey’s south-side house and digging there with a shovel.
Davis would not say whether Humphrey had confessed or whether police had spoken with the man believed to have been riding with Humphrey on another motorcycle Friday night.
Police are keeping some details of the case to themselves “to preserve the integrity of the investigation,” Davis said.
$1 million bond set in killing; more details of shooting revealed

The criminal complaint, meanwhile, revealed for the first time that the case against Humphrey relies heavily on statements from Richard T. Hall, who police say was the motorcyclist who was riding with Humphrey the night of the shooting.
Defense attorney Jack Hoag, who apparently received the case shortly before the hearing, asked for and was granted time to discuss the case with his client. Hoag said he would argue against the bond amount when the hearing continues at 4 p.m. today at the courthouse.
Humphrey appeared in court via video from the Rock County Jail. Wearing glasses, he appeared calm, but his expression suggested emotion when Assistant District Attorney Scott Dirks recommended the $1 million bond.
Hoag said the bond amount is much higher than in similar cases.
“I’ve never heard of such a bond being required,” Hoag said.
Holznecht appeared convinced that the cash bond was needed, mainly because of the nature of the crime and the severity of the punishment.
“The randomness of this act is shocking to this court,” Holznecht said, adding that he could not remember such a shocking case in many decades.
Holznecht said he found the bond amount “quite frankly, low,” but he went along with the prosecution’s recommendation.
The complaint states that Hall denied knowing anything about the shooting when police first questioned him. On Monday, however, Hall contacted police and told them his version of the story.
Hall said he and Humphrey had been at O’Riley & Conway’s Irish Pub, 214 W. Milwaukee St., on Friday night
Hall said they were leaving when a Jeep went by on West Milwaukee Street “in close proximity to where their motorcycles had been parked.”
Hall said Humphrey “took off after the Jeep and shouted something to the occupants of the vehicle,” the complaint states.
As the Jeep and the motorcycles pulled up to red lights at the Five Points intersection, Hall told police, the Jeep’s occupants “were shouting things like ‘f--- you’ and flipping them off.”
Hall said he and Humphrey followed the Jeep down West Court Street, and Hall pulled up to the left side of the Jeep.
“He told the occupants that if they wanted to flip him off, they could do it in person,” the complaint states.
Then, Hall said, he heard a bang and looked behind him and saw Humphrey holding a small silver handgun, which Humphrey pointed at the Jeep’s back seat.
Hall said he was looking for a side street when he heard a second gunshot and he and Humphrey then fled down side streets, eventually returning to Humphrey’s home.
<SNIP>

The suspect in this case is a dear, dear old friend of mine. I am just as shocked as anyone that he could have done this shooting. I really don't believe he's capable, especially over something so petty... a road rage thing! However, that being said, I feel just terrible for the man he alledgedly shot. My theory is that the other motorcycle rider is the shooter, I know him as well, and if anyone is capable of something like that, Hall is. If you compare their criminal backgrounds, Jim Humphrey looks like a saint with only one "Disorderly Conduct", compared to Hall's MULTIPLE PAGE background. However, all of this, of course is just my opinion!

Mssheila

How sad mssheila, I truly hope that this is sorted out and they find that your friend did not do this. Good luck.

mssheila - Do you know if anyone has spoken with your friend yet, other than police? Was there anyone else in the vehicle besides the person who was shot? I didn't see that info. in your post, so if I missed it I'm sorry. Do the guys have distinctive helmets that are easy to distinguish? I know mine is very personalized, but not sure it could be picked out in a crowd.

I don't understand - if they don't have a weapon yet, why are they only believing Hall's side of the story? Does Humphrey, and not hall, have a gun registered? Even that wouldn't be enough proof for me, as people can get guns on the black market too.

Are there eyewitnesses? This looks like a small town but this intersection and street appear to be in the "downtown" area (businesses around, etc.). Plus there must have been someone else in the car or it would have crashed - or did it? It really sounds like they're rushing in with just Hall's statement.

I hope this wasn't your friend, Mssheila, I can't imagine how you must feel!

missheila - I am sorry about your friend's predicament, and of course, sorry about the man who lost his life. Lastly, I am sorry for the pain you are obviously feeling at having a close friend in such a situation. I sincerely hope the truth comes out.

mssheila - Do you know if anyone has spoken with your friend yet, other than police? Was there anyone else in the vehicle besides the person who was shot? I didn't see that info. in your post, so if I missed it I'm sorry. Do the guys have distinctive helmets that are easy to distinguish? I know mine is very personalized, but not sure it could be picked out in a crowd.

Hi Belinda... I have no knowledge of anyone speaking to him yet. At first we had to wait for the arraignment, which was split up over 2 days. Then we were told that in order to visit him in jail, HE has to put us on a list and HE schedules the times and days we come see him. Very strange way to do things, I think!?! I would think, though, by now he has made his visitors list and we should be getting a notification over the phone or by snail mail that we are on his visitors list and it will list the times he set up... My ex husband put money on "his books" so that he can buy extra food and stuff, and he also put money toward Jim's ability to call him. You have to pay 50 dollars for X amount of minutes. He set it up so the 50 dollars can be used by Jim for anyone he wishes to call. But Pat (my ex) obviously hopes he'll call him soon.

Yes, there were 3 people in the open air Jeep Wrangler. The victim was the only passenger in the backseat, and he was the one who was engaging in taunting and screaming ugly words at the motorcyclists- who obviously screamed back. But yes, to answer your question, there were also 2 men in the front seats. Interestingly, they had been at the same bar at the same time earlier in the night and they had NO issues with eachother....

Jim wasn't wearing a helmet. His "friend" wasn't wearing one either. They're both bald and wear bandannas when they ride.

I don't understand - if they don't have a weapon yet, why are they only believing Hall's side of the story? Does Humphrey, and not hall, have a gun registered? Even that wouldn't be enough proof for me, as people can get guns on the black market too.

Are there eyewitnesses? This looks like a small town but this intersection and street appear to be in the "downtown" area (businesses around, etc.). Plus there must have been someone else in the car or it would have crashed - or did it? It really sounds like they're rushing in with just Hall's statement.

I hope this wasn't your friend, Mssheila, I can't imagine how you must feel!

This is my friend Jim. I'm hearsick about it. He has a wife and children too, as does his alleged victim. It's such a bizarre thing! I can't really wrap my head around it all yet.

As for the gun, the police were able to find it in Jim's backyard. The two men had buried it that night, according to Hall. I don't believe MOST of "Save yourself, let anyone else burn" Hall says. All of this could very, very easily be Hall setting Jim up to take the fall for him. He could have gone onto Jim's property and buried that gun and then turn to the police and say "I know where he buried the gun... but Jim threatened that if I told you anything, he'd kill me too!" ugh! I just hate Hall. I've NEVER liked him. Ever.

The only witnesses were the two men in the front seat of the jeep. One was driving and was looking straight ahead. The passenger on the side where JIm and Hall were riding next to- was looking, but it happened so fast that he didn't see which one did it. Hall is the only one who said it was Jim. And your'e right, they're going off nothing more than the accomplice's story- the guy who NEEDS to save his own *advertiser censored*.... he'd say anything!

Update on MsSheila's friend and benefits for the Aegerter children.

http://gazettextra.com/news/2010/jun/10/preliminary-hearing-set-humphrey/

Thanks Filly. I felt morally obligated to give to these children's fund. It didnt make me feel any better, but then again- that wasn't the reason I did it.

Here's the latest article about the case

http://gazettextra.com/news/2010/jun/10/preliminary-hearing-set-humphrey/

Preliminary hearing set for Humphrey

By GAZETTE STAFF Thursday, June 10, 2010

JANESVILLE &#8212; The man accused in Friday&#8217;s fatal shooting was back in court Wednesday, but his attorney didn&#8217;t argue for reduction of his client&#8217;s $1 million bond.
James M. Humphrey, 44, of 1473 Marquette St., Janesville, is charged with first-degree reckless homicide in the West Court Street shooting death of Sam M. Aegerter, 30, Janesville.
Rock County prosecutors filed the charge Tuesday, and Court Commissioner Charles Holznecht set bond for Humphrey at $1 million.
Defense attorney Jack Hoag had said he would argue Wednesday against the bond amount, but the topic didn&#8217;t come up.

<SNIP>
That's a CASH bond... not a 10 percent thing....
<SNIP>
To convict Humphrey of first-degree reckless homicide, prosecutors must prove beyond a reasonable doubt that he caused Aegerter&#8217;s death, that his actions showed utter disregard for human life, that the conduct created a risk of death or great bodily harm, that the risk was unreasonable and substantial and that he was aware that his conduct created the risk.
If convicted, Humphrey would face a maximum of 60 years in prison.
<SNIP>

<SNIP>
A memorial fund for Aegerter&#8217;s children has been established. Donations may be dropped off at any M&I Bank branch or mailed to M&I Bank, care of the Sam Aegerter Memorial Fund, P.O. Box 5000, Janesville, WI 53547-5000. Checks should be made out to the Sam Aegerter Memorial Fund.
<SNIP>

Now, the rest of this is JMO, but................
Jim looks just AWFUL. Like- if he truly DID do this- he looks like he's in shock, and he's just starting to see what he's really done (IF he did it) and he's learning about the man he shot, and I know Jim so well, that I can say with full certainty that he's been crying- alot and often. His face is mottled and his bags under his eyes are twice the normal size. Being that he's the suspect in a murder doesn't make him not my friend... so sorry if this offends someone.

JANESVILLE — The man being held in connection with Friday’s fatal shooting seemed anything but a murder suspect to his family and neighbors.
Instead, words such as “sweetheart” and “big-hearted southern guy” were the first things that came to mind for them.
Police on Monday afternoon arrested James M. Humphrey, 44, of 1473 Marquette St., Janesville, on suspicion of first-degree intentional homicide.
<SNIP>

A woman who identified herself as Humphrey’s wife said her husband “wouldn’t hurt a fly” and enjoyed riding his motorcycle and playing his guitar.
“Terra, my daughter, was a singer, and he’s really musically talented. And he was like her rock-out buddy. You know, they’d have rock sessions in the garage,” said the woman, who would not give her name.
Next-door neighbor Tom Danks echoed those sentiments, saying Humphrey was a model neighbor.
“He wouldn’t take any money for anything,” Danks said. “He let me borrow his trailer and his truck. He’s just been awesome. I wouldn’t want any other neighbor, to be honest with you. I’d do anything for him.”
Cynthia Caldwell, who lives across the street, said Humphrey always flagged her down to chat whenever she saw him across the street.
“He was a good guy to have around. A real sweetheart, really,” Caldwell said. “I always know that if I need something, he’ll always be there for me.”
<SNIP>

So, at least I'm not the only one who can't reconcile this crime and my friend together.

msshelia, I am so sorry. you must be devastated. I hate to ask yet another question but I misunderstood something somewhere, it was said that LE first spoke to Hall about the shooting, Hall denied any knowledge - and then on monday called up LE and told them Jim did it.

what led them to hall to begin with, as there werent any witnesses who actually witnessed anything?

please verify I have this right:

gun WAS found on Jim's property, Hall says they both buried it? have the ballistics come in yet so they know it was indeed that gun? any idea whose gun it was?

mssheila - I truly hope your friend didn't do this. He does sound like a good guy and that it would be totally out of his character. I sincerely doubt the police will simply take Hall's word for it. At least I hope not. Hopefully, they will find enough evidence to conclusively prove which one pulled the trigger. Has Hall not even been charged as an accessory? Does Hall have any connections in the police department? Anyone there who would protect him? Something does seem a little off here. Unless your friend has confessed. Would Jim give a false confession to protect a friend?

Hall said he and Humphrey had been at O’Riley & Conway’s Irish Pub, 214 W. Milwaukee St., on Friday night

Hall said they were leaving when a Jeep went by on West Milwaukee Street “in close proximity to where their motorcycles had been parked.”

Hall said Humphrey “took off after the Jeep and shouted something to the occupants of the vehicle,” the complaint states.

As the Jeep and the motorcycles pulled up to red lights at the Five Points intersection, Hall told police, the Jeep’s occupants “were shouting things like ‘f--- you’ and flipping them off.”

Hall said he and Humphrey followed the Jeep down West Court Street, and Hall pulled up to the left side of the Jeep.

“He told the occupants that if they wanted to flip him off, they could do it in person,” the complaint states.

Then, Hall said, he heard a bang and looked behind him and saw Humphrey holding a small silver handgun, which Humphrey pointed at the Jeep’s back seat.

Ok something isn't right here. What do you guys think? Hall said Humphrey 'took off after the Jeep.' But Hall looked 'behind' him to see Humphrey?

<SNIP>

A woman who identified herself as Humphrey’s wife said her husband “wouldn’t hurt a fly” and enjoyed riding his motorcycle and playing his guitar.
“Terra, my daughter, was a singer, and he’s really musically talented. And he was like her rock-out buddy. You know, they’d have rock sessions in the garage,” said the woman, who would not give her name.
Next-door neighbor Tom Danks echoed those sentiments, saying Humphrey was a model neighbor.
“He wouldn’t take any money for anything,” Danks said. “He let me borrow his trailer and his truck. He’s just been awesome. I wouldn’t want any other neighbor, to be honest with you. I’d do anything for him.”
Cynthia Caldwell, who lives across the street, said Humphrey always flagged her down to chat whenever she saw him across the street.
“He was a good guy to have around. A real sweetheart, really,” Caldwell said. “I always know that if I need something, he’ll always be there for me.”
<SNIP>

So, at least I'm not the only one who can't reconcile this crime and my friend together.

::::sigh:::: This is so tragic. Janesville is so peaceful and tranquil. What a shame for everybody. :(

mssheila, have the determined the ownership of the gun yet? Did your friend turn himself in? Have they charged the "friend"with anything? I am very orry for your troubles.

Ok something isn't right here. What do you guys think? Hall said Humphrey 'took off after the Jeep.' But Hall looked 'behind' him to see Humphrey?

I had to read that a couple of times to put it together, too. It sounds like they were initially behind the jeep but then pulled up alongside the driver's side, with Humphrey riding behind Hall, according to his account.

Right

If Humphrey was the one who 'took off after the Jeep' then why was he behind Hall?

Mssheila, it sounds like both men are bald with goatees, and were wearing bandannas? I wonder if the witnesses in the Jeep could possibly have made an accurate identification of who it was, because they didn't see who pulled the trigger. One was driving, looking for a side street, and the other ducked when he heard the gunshot. Hmmm...

Right

If Humphrey was the one who 'took off after the Jeep' then why was he behind Hall?

There are so very many things like that in Hall's statement that are so fuzzy, or don't make sense, that I don't know how he's even credible! I know that they did find the gun behind Jim's house- but Hall could easily have put it there himself. Jim was genuinely shocked that they found a gun behind his house- buried. I have no further news, it's like everything went silent after the arraignment. I have no idea if Hall is being charged, or if he's just a state's witness and gets no time? I guess it's wait and see time.... :banghead:

This is my friend Jim. I'm hearsick about it. He has a wife and children too, as does his alleged victim. It's such a bizarre thing! I can't really wrap my head around it all yet.

As for the gun, the police were able to find it in Jim's backyard. The two men had buried it that night, according to Hall. I don't believe MOST of "Save yourself, let anyone else burn" Hall says. All of this could very, very easily be Hall setting Jim up to take the fall for him. He could have gone onto Jim's property and buried that gun and then turn to the police and say "I know where he buried the gun... but Jim threatened that if I told you anything, he'd kill me too!" ugh! I just hate Hall. I've NEVER liked him. Ever.

The only witnesses were the two men in the front seat of the jeep. One was driving and was looking straight ahead. The passenger on the side where JIm and Hall were riding next to- was looking, but it happened so fast that he didn't see which one did it. Hall is the only one who said it was Jim. And your'e right, they're going off nothing more than the accomplice's story- the guy who NEEDS to save his own *advertiser censored*.... he'd say anything!

I also know Hall and wouldn't necessarily believe a word he says.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RayaCo
Back