1150 users online (253 members and 897 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Exclamation Emergency rescue effort is launched for teen sailor Abby Sunderland

A rescue effort has been launched in hope of finding Abby Sunderland, 16, who set off her emergency beacon locating devices from the southern Indian Ocean early this morning.
    snipped
    Nobles said a scenario whereby a sailor has to abandon ship might go like this: Water flooding the vessel automatically inflates the life raft, which is tethered to the sailboat. The sailor, if the sailboat is sinking, would grab the boat's EPIRB device and stuff it into a ditch kit, take the ditch kit and deploy and climb aboard the life raft. The sailor would only cut the tether if the sailboat is sinking, pulling down the lifeboat.

Abby was for several months one of two 16-year-olds attempting to sail around the world alone. Australia's Jessica Watson completed her journey last month, just days before turning 17.

Abby's brother Zac, who graduated from high school, completed a solo-circumnavigation last summer at 17.

The timing of Abby's trip was criticized by some because it was going to place her in the middle of the Indian Ocean when the stormy Southern Hemisphere winter was at hand.

http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/blog/...by+sunderland/

Oh my...that's certainly not good news. I pray she is found quickly.

So are we to assume she is in a lifeboat somewhere in the Indian Ocean??

Quote Originally Posted by amandab View Post
    So are we to assume she is in a lifeboat somewhere in the Indian Ocean??
    Yes....best case scenario is probably that.....here is her blog from the trip:

http://soloround.blogspot.com/

It was my thought that another boat was suppose to be near by for emergency............
    it wasn't????
    Kyron, HALEIGH, ADJI & Gabriel NEEDS PRAYERS NOW TO FIND THEM!. Zahra & Jonathan in heaven
    Justice for Hailey!!!!
    No Justice for Caylee Marie..........

She had good equipment on board, hopefully someone fairly nearby has good coordinates on her last location.

jmoo

Did you read where it said 50-60 foot seas? That's crazy! I hope shes's ok.

Quote Originally Posted by OceanEyes View Post
    Did you read where it said 50-60 foot seas? That's crazy! I hope shes's ok.
    That's extremely scary. I hope she's alright.

Another article regarding the search for Abby- http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/06...-bid-lost-sea/

I just heard about this during a chat I was having with a group of bloggers about children setting out to break dangerous world records. I hope Abby is quickly found... I read that at the time of her distress call that search & rescue was 40 hours away, at the least.

LadyL is offline Sleuthing for Lonzie Barton & All Victims.
    that is worrisome
    hope she's ok

Fromt he Fox article:

"However, the one designed to go off automatically when the boat is submerged in water, had not been activated, MaryAnne Sunderland told ABC News. "

They are referring to her emergency beacons.

Quote Originally Posted by amandab View Post
    Fromt he Fox article:

"However, the one designed to go off automatically when the boat is submerged in water, had not been activated, MaryAnne Sunderland told ABC News. "

They are referring to her emergency beacons.
    Hopefully, she has just had a major equipment failure of some kind and the boat is still able to float. I am hoping that they mean she was 40 hours out from shore, but that surely rescue aircraft can get to her much sooner than that. There is no where in the Indian Ocean that is 40 hours away by aircraft that just can't be possible.

jmoo

essies is offline "We're all just walking each other home." Ram Dass
    Good Lord-I can't imagine what her family is going thru!! I would get sick at my stomach when my son got his drivers license and took the car out!! Prayers for Abby and her family!!

"It's time to tell the story of a little girl named Caylee" Linda Drane Burdick
    The future has many names: for the fearful it's the unknown, for the reckless it's the adventure, for the pessimists it's the unattainable. For the brave, it is opportunity.

Missing
    California Teen Sailing the Globe Feared Lost at Sea
    By: Megan Gibson (23 mins ago)

An ocean search has been launched for 16-year-old Abby Sunderlund, the California teen who wants to be the youngest person to sail the globe.
    Sunderland last made contact with her support crew this morning at 6 a.m. PDT, while in the southern part of the Indian Ocean. She reportedly activated two emergency beacons on her boat and is now feared to be lost at sea.

Though Sunderland said she dreamed of being the youngest person to sail around the world, she is not the only teen to attempt such a feat. Australian teen, Jessica Watson, recently completed a similar trip and currently holds the honor. Laura Dekker, a 14-year-old Dutch girl, has also been attempting the same trip despite it being prohibited by Dutch family court.

Read more: http://newsfeed.time.com/2010/06/10/...#ixzz0qTyeLuwg

What lies behind you and what lies in front of you pales in comparison to what lies inside of you....
    Ralph Waldo Emerson ~

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast