GUILTY VA - Harvey Watson, 63, & Aaron Cooper, 26, killed in prison, 2009 & 2010

zinc

Reaction score
For seven days, Robert Gleason Jr. begged correctional officers and counselors at Wallens Ridge State Prison to move his new cellmate. The constant singing, screaming and obnoxious behavior were too much, and Gleason knew he was ready to snap.

On the eighth day — May 8, 2009 — correctional officers found 63-year-old Harvey Gray Watson Jr. bound, gagged, beaten and strangled. His death went unnoticed for 15 hours because correctional officers had not followed proper procedure for inmate head counts at the high-security prison in southwestern Virginia.

Now, Gleason says he'll kill again if he isn't put to death for killing Watson, who had a history of mental illness. And he says his next victim won't be an inmate.

"I murdered that man cold-bloodedly. I planned it, and I'm gonna do it again," the 40-year-old Gleason told The Associated Press. "Someone needs to stop it. The only way to stop me is put me on death row."
Va. inmate: 'Only way to stop me' is death row
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5g6t-5eQbd-0iVd-Kp442xSC5djZAD9GA3M580

I think they should give him his wish. Take him out.

Better yet put an inmate in there with him that's bigger, badder than him. Be sure he sings, dances, screams and exhibits obnoxious behavior. Then when Gleason sets a plan in motion to murder him let the guy kick his *advertiser censored*s, gag him, and bind him and then sing show tunes non-stop.

We can pick our friends, but we can't pick our cellies.

Putting him on death row won't ensure he suffers. I wouldn't oblige this guy. Just the opposite.

I'm sure he blames DOC staff for not moving the unbalanced cellmate out....he had to teach everyone a lesson. I think all that talk about "kill me please" is just BS. Does VA have the death penalty?
This guy has just ensured that he will have a single cell for the rest of his prison time, which I hope is for the rest of his life.
Yup. He thinks like someone who could murder someone over a drug debt (for dissing him) and then an elderly person caged with him. No remorse, no respect for life. Wish he could get his wish.
He'll probably sue DOC for the "mental anguish" he experienced for the week before he murdered that man.

Sadly, Gleason is a man of his word:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=11298875

Inmate Who Said He'd Kill More Linked to 2nd Death

A Virginia inmate who warned prosecutors he would kill again if not given the death penalty for strangling his cellmate was involved in the death of another inmate, authorities said.

Wise County Commonwealth's Attorney Ron Elkins confirmed late Saturday that Robert Gleason Jr. was "involved" in the death of 26-year-old Aaron Alexander Cooper, though Elkins refused to elaborate. Gleason, who was already serving a life term for murder before killing his cellmate last year, has not been charged in the death...."

more at link

The details of the murder sound very suspicious, given that the men are separated in "recreational" cages. The man was strangled.

How does one successfully strangle somebody through a chain link fence without the person getting away?? Or actually, the stranglee" would have to assist!! Maybe Cooper had a death wish too, and this nutcase offered to do the job so he could finally get that death sentence he wanted himself. Psycho.

The only thing I can think of is that Gleason got hold of the man's t-shirt and strangled him with the collar of it. One would think that the inmates couldn't make contact through the cages but we know how creative they can be. Nothing surprises me anymore with what men and women with nothing but time on their hands can come up with.

I hate to say this, but I've also wondered if the guards could be complicit in one, both, or either deaths. Some inmates are not popular with anyone. Gleason's first inmate was tremendously irritating and mentally ill. I think the guards must have had some suspicion of what would happen. It would be unconscionable to place someone deeply disliked next to this killer.

I hope there is a very thorough investigation.

I say kill him...........it'll be years before it will happen anyway and why put everyone around him, including officers, in danger.

Give him his wish.............bye.

I wish more of these people would admit the same thing. Especially RSO.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110211/ap_on_re_us/us_cellmate_slaying_3

Va. inmate pleads guilty to second prisoner murder

"A Virginia inmate who warned officials he would kill again if not given the death penalty for murdering his cellmate pleaded guilty Friday to killing a second inmate.
A Wise County judge took Robert Gleason Jr.'s plea under advisement, but said he would not accept it until after Gleason undergoes a mental health evaluation, said Gleason's attorney, Greg Kallen. Such evaluations are standard in capital cases.
The judge will decide April 22 whether to accept the plea...."

more at link

can we just use a firing squad on this thing?

I mean how much more time, resources, and tax dollars are going to be wasted on him before he finally croaks?

He just wants to be on DR instead of GP because it is better living conditions. No cellie in DR, but required in GP. Also safer from other inmates in DR housing d/t increased custody protocols. He also doesn't want to spend life in prison and is too chicken to take himself out.. so getting the DP is equal to suicide by cop. Many seasoned lifers would prefer DP than life for said reasons. One recently committed suicide when his sentence was reduced from death to life when he was faced with moving to GP.

From January 2013:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...802e00-6015-11e2-9940-6fc488f3fecd_story.html

A convicted murderer who killed two fellow inmates while serving a life sentence and vowed to keep on killing unless he was put to death was executed Wednesday night in Virginia.

Robert Gleason Jr., 42, originally of Lowell, Mass., was pronounced dead at 9:08 p.m. at Greensville Correctional Center in Jarratt, the Associated Press reported. He was the first death row inmate since 2010 in Virginia to choose death by the electric chair instead of lethal injection.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanayarford
Back