Ohio Landmark "Touchdown Jesus" is No More

WhyaDuck?

Inactive
Reaction score
Touchdown_jesus.jpg

I have fond memories of this quite odd (and fairly famous) statue, but tonight the bizarre landmark was struck by lightening and burned down. Not surprizing, since it was made of wood and painted styrofoam on a metal frame.

MONROE — The large Jesus statue iconic to Interstate 75 in Monroe is destroyed following an apparent lightning strike.

Motorists were stopped along the highway and around the Monroe area to watch the 62-foot “King of Kings” statue burn before officers dispersed traffic. The fire was reported just 11:15 p.m. Monday, June 15. Within minutes, all that was left was the steel frame of the statue at Solid Rock Church, 904 N. Union Road.

“It’s crazy,” said Ted Williams, 35, of Monroe, who could see the statue ablaze from a Shell gas station along Ohio 63.

After midnight, the fire had spread to the nearby amphitheater of the church, according to Monroe dispatchers. There were no reports of injuries.

More at:
http://www.middletownjournal.com/news/middletown-news/touchdown-jesus-destroyed-by-fire-762245.html

statuedestroyed10_709984g.jpg

Update on the aftermath:

Jesus statue fire damages estimated at $700,000

The Lawrence Bishop Music Theater at Solid Rock Church on Union Road endured smoke damage, according to officials. Damages to the King of Kings statue and the theater were estimated to be around $700,000, said Monroe Fire Chief Mark Neu.

No one was injured in the blaze.

The smell of smoke surrounded the area of the statue’s charred frame, and the pond in front of it appeared murky, witnesses said.

Keith Lewis of Middletown showed up at the church just after 7 a.m. with a camera in hand to take some shots of the remains. His wife, Stephanie, sent him.

“It has been a landmark in this area for a long time,” Lewis said. “She said she wanted picture of what was left.”

The church was not damaged, but audio equipment housed in the music theater was damaged, Neu said.

“They had a lot of expensive audio equipment that was lost,” he said.

Whether jostled by the incident, or ready to call out zingers, all agreed the statue is what makes that stretch of I-75 in front of the church special.

“It’s a landmark, so it’s going to make the drive different,” said Josh Bartram, 18, of Middletown.

Because the fire was sparked by lightning, Neu said there will be no further investigation.

<snipped>

More at:
http://www.middletownjournal.com/ne...fire-damages-estimated-at-700-000-762245.html

It appears God really meant what He said about idolatry.

I will say this piece really had to be seen to be believed. It looked like it was sculpted out of cream cheese. I never passed it without noticing it, that's for sure.

The run between Toledo and Dayton just got a lot more dull.

I will say this piece really had to be seen to be believed. It looked like it was sculpted out of cream cheese. I never passed it without noticing it, that's for sure.

The run between Toledo and Dayton just got a lot more dull.
I was sad to wake up today to this news. I know a lot of people aren't sad to see it go but I am. I always thought it looked like it was sculpted from butter. If you have never seen it it person, you cant get a real sense of the actual size. It was huge! I always looked foward to seeing it on my trips from Cincinnati to Dayton.

You think he will knock out Catholic Churches (for example) next? They have lots of statues.

To be clear, I was just kidding. I don't have a problem with religious iconography per se, nor do I believe the Creator of an infinite universe spends his time destroying bad art. Unfortunately.

To be clear, I was just kidding. I don't have a problem with religious iconography per se, nor do I believe the Creator of an infinite universe spends his time destroying bad art. Unfortunately.

Not sure this could be considered "art" as such... but it certainly was distinctive.

Scared the living crap out of me the first time I saw it - it was dark, and I didn't see the pond, so I thought he was busting up out of the ground.

Now he apparently looks like the Terminator, since all that remains is the metal frame. The church even had a "He'll be Back" sign up!

I'm kind of concerned about how many toxins this thing released into the air as it burned - that much fiberglass and "plastic foam" must have made an awful stink.

Seriously, the thing always gave me the creeps. I am sad to see it go, though. It was definately one of the most interesting landmarks around here. I heard that they are planning to rebuild as soon as possible?

Seriously, the thing always gave me the creeps. I am sad to see it go, though. It was definately one of the most interesting landmarks around here. I heard that they are planning to rebuild as soon as possible?

I suspect the Styrofoam molds are still some place, so I am sure they can rebuild.

But I agree whole heartedly - it creeps me out, but I would miss it on my next foray into Ohio if it were gone.

When I saw the title I was wondering why Ohio had a landmark for Joe Montana.

When I saw the title I was wondering why Ohio had a landmark for Joe Montana.

I was wondering how they dared to plagiarize the title "Touchdown Jesus."

Everyone knows the real Touchdown Jesus is at Notre Dame U.

But I don't suppose we can expect people who build statues out of styrofoam to have any respect for history or tradition or taste.

All kidding aside, I'm not opposed to religious art. Nearly all the great Western art for over a thousand years was religious in nature.

It's just sad to see how much the artistic standards of Christianity have declined of late... Just recently I was privileged to encounter the "World's Largest Cross" (well, one of them, since several make that claim) in Southern Illinois off I-70. Help me, Jesus!

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/4116

For the record, I'll admit the plastic "Touchdown Jesus" makes the Illinois cross look tasteful by comparison.

I saw the beautiful Virgin Mary on the side of the bank building in Clearwater Fl.. I swear it resembled her exactly. Just thought I would add something to this post.

I prayed and prayed as it was so touching and received the answer I needed at that point in my life.

Does anyone know if it is still there?

Goz

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77