Ella -the week after pill

Oh Heavens B. You could of made a thread that would of stayed busy but this one? OH MAN OH MAN this is going to be good Or bad for the Mod of duty LOL.

IMO it won't come to the USA.

Yes, its gonna come to America. Are you kidding me, we have a Pres who approves of partial birth abortion. Our government is turning its back on Israel, No one is going to be able to get health care in a few years so I think its well withing reason to conclude that America will have such a pill as this. Sad for America.

I, like others believe the Ella pill will come. Since the object of this thread was to get us to discuss our opinions of such a pill, I'll be happy to share mine. I have 5 beautiful children, 2 were planned, 3 were happy surprises. I have taken the morning after pill, plan B, once in my lifetime. It was the first time we had intercourse, after baby number 3 was born. We were so wrapped up in the mindset of working to conceive baby number 3, we sincerley "forgot" about contreception! I have never had an abortion, or terminated any pregnancy. I don't feel like its my right to decide whether a child lives or dies. If the Ella pill works the same way as Plan B, just postponing ovulation, I don't have an issue with its use. However, if it works like RU 486 to cause abortion, then I have a serious problem with its use. I know as woman, it will be much maligned for not supporting "our right to choose", but I'm sorry. I cannot be hypocritical and say I do. I do believe in birth control, for certain, I just will not support a babies life being ended by medical intervention.

From JBean's link:

Currently the status of women is the number one issue on the planet. And women are, in the words of Sonia Johnson, "rising like yeast all over the planet." It's time for all of us to assume dominion over our bodies, without fear of repercussions. As Pulitzer Prize winning journalists Nickolas Kristoff and Sheryl Wudunn have so beautifully documented in their book Half the Sky, the education and economic development of women is the key to ending global poverty and terrorism. And a woman's education level is directly linked to her ability to assume dominion over her fertility. *********************************************************************

It is absolutely true that being able to control how many children you produce is directly linked to the ability to support and take care of them, and that determines what life, or lack of, the mother will have. Why doesn't anyone jump up and down and say that we need to outlaw condoms??? Is that because that is a man controlling his fertility? What is the difference? You cannot produce a child without sperm...:banghead:

I believe the pill will come to the USA if the the drug company thinks they'll make MONEY.

I'm probably in the minority but I'm all for it. There's way too many unwanted babies here in the US and elsewhere. Adoption isn;t as easy as some would think it should be. Abuse is off the hook. I agree with the poster above that if it's used as in interception to impregnation, then I'm all for it.

I hope it makes it to the U.S. and believe it will.

This is a tough one for me. If it had been available last fall, I would've most likely taken it. Son #1 was thoughtfully planned. Son #2 was, um, a surprise. While he wasn't in OUR plan, he was obviously in the OVERALL plan. It took me a while to accept the fact that I was going to be starting all over again after 5 years, but I couldn't be more excited as I anxiously await his arrival in the next few weeks! Five years of not even a close call and here we are having miracle baby #2.

It's a convenient, no hassle, "no guilt" version of abortion, and therefore it is immoral, and yes, this administration will allow it in America, sadly. Life begins at conception, and none of us would be here if we weren't conceived. We cannot skip that step. You end the natural life process anytime after conception. And that's what this pill does, it ends the life process that is required for all human beings. Does it matter at what stage the process is ended? No, because the end result is exactly the same. The timing is irrelevant, since it does not change the end result.

That's all I have to say on a topic (abortion) that's been discussed ad infinitum on here before.

I'm probably in the minority but I'm all for it. There's way too many unwanted babies here in the US and elsewhere. Adoption isn;t as easy as some would think it should be. Abuse is off the hook. I agree with the poster above that if it's used as in interception to impregnation, then I'm all for it.

Jersey, let me add one thought. You know contraception is free now, I would support contraception before abortion. If people used their brains we wouldn't have to debate controversial measures to end a pregnancy. If I absolutely knew I didn't want another baby, I could get pills, IUD, A Shot, sterilized and probably a few more things I don't know about, but the point is there are ways to prevent pregnancy. jmo

I think the more ways women have to not get pregnant and to stop conception after an unplanned event the better. While I agree that it's a woman's right to choose and I would never ever criticize a woman for making whatever decision she felt best, abortion is something I would like to see less and less of. No matter your opinion on abortion it's a traumatic experience for most that have gone through it. Thankfully I was never in a position to have to make that kind of choice but I sure feel for those who have. The problem is drug companies who see dollar signs. I saw Plan B at Walmart a couple of months ago and it was $50...... where is a poor 17 year old kid, who has a condom break going to come up with $50.....? Or a Mom barely making ends meet with enough kids already? I know some weeks if I had to come up with a spare $50 I couldn't do it. This is a drug that could really help some people but those are probably the people that won't be able to afford it!

But brain waves begin at around five weeks. Just food for debate.

But you cannot even get to that point without conception. The life process all starts there, it cannot be avoided.

Jersey, let me add one thought. You know contraception is free now, I would support contraception before abortion. If people used their brains we wouldn't have to debate controversial measures to end a pregnancy. If I absolutely knew I didn't want another baby, I could get pills, IUD, A Shot, sterilized and probably a few more things I don't know about, but the point is there are ways to prevent pregnancy. jmo

PorcineGranny I just had to put myself in here...
I am someone who wanted a baby with my (well I call him hubby but really we are only engaged)...we tried for 3 yrs, nothing ever happened...suddenly after or almost at 3 yrs together I became pregnant...yeah AFTER we decided we were glad we never had a baby, it happens...
If I had ever thought I could get pregnant after that long I would have taken contraception, but I thought something was wrong with one/both of us...
After that long I would look at kids at the stores acting out and throwing fits and look at hubby and ask him "aren't you SO glad we never had one?"
I was DEVASTATED when I found out I was pregnant...my youngest child at the time was 10 years old! But in time my pregnancy grew on me and despite my hubby and I both having 2 girls a piece we came together to have a baby boy!
And oh I love him to pieces....and so do his big sissies...
I support you on contraceptives, but just have to look at someone in my own case, and maybe my case doesn't apply here, but whether it does or doesn't just let me say I support Ella.

I agree with WR. I totally support Ella.

Contraception up front is better, yeah, but doesn't always work. Plus, it galls me that no one wants to tell teenagers about any type of birth control other than abstinence, which isn't gonna happen for a lot of those kids.

Another side effect would be the decreased use of condoms. People wouldn't bother with them nearly as much, especially teens, since all they have to do is take a pill of something happens. Less condom use leads to an increase in sexual diseases and more widespread transmission of those diseases. As well as a possible increase in promiscuity, overall. But the STD risk would certainly increase.

I am always glad when women/couples have ways to prevent an unwanted pregnancy. It's not my place to judge anyone who has to make those decisions. I've known women who have had abortions and it was no easy decision. It was one that has stayed with them for their entire lives.

Schools do teach birth control beyond abstinence. But, they do stress abstinence is the only way to prevent STD's and pregnancy 100%. It's always "we hope you will abstain but if you don't" .... at least for the schools out here, anyway.

As long as there are methods for preventing/terminating pregnancy there will be those who use them to extremes. It's unfortunate there are those who don't learn the first time around. But, I don't believe all options for prevention/termination should be unlawful because of those few.

Mark me as for it, too. Totally agree with everything you said.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GravityHurts
Back