FL - Gladys Andrews, 87, found dead in Fort Myers home, April 2009

PickieChickie

Former Member
Reaction score
The Associated Press

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- A Fort Myers woman says she didn't call emergency responders when her mother lay dying in her home because the two thought they would lose the house if officials discovered its filthy condition.

Gladys Andrews had fallen about 14 months ago, and Gail Andrews couldn't lift her. The newspaper reports that after Gladys Andrews eventually died, Gail Andrews left the body on the floor.

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/06/16/1683188/woman-says-she-left-mothers-body.html#ixzz0r1ZnT7t1

The daughter must have some serious mental issues to even think about doing what she did -- and for so long. WHO lives with their dead mother's body for 14 months because they're afraid to lose their home. That's just nuts. I've watched many a Hoarders show, and this is a tell-tale case if I've ever heard of one. Especially since it took LE days to find the remains. I can only imagine what that house looked like. IMO, I hope the daughter gets the help she needs.

So sad -- in so many ways.

MOO

Mel

It sounds like the mother did not die right away from the fall but was left there on the floor for quite some time until she passed away.
This is so terribly sad! How much pain and suffering did this woman go through in all that time?
Was there no one else in all this time who missed this woman? No other children or relatives?

VB

The Associated Press

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- A Fort Myers woman says she didn't call emergency responders when her mother lay dying in her home because the two thought they would lose the house if officials discovered its filthy condition.

Gladys Andrews had fallen about 14 months ago, and Gail Andrews couldn't lift her. The newspaper reports that after Gladys Andrews eventually died, Gail Andrews left the body on the floor.

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/06/16/1683188/woman-says-she-left-mothers-body.html#ixzz0r1ZnT7t1

So sad the daughter chose the house over helping her Mom get medical attention which in all likelyhood would have saved her Mom:banghead:

The daughter, Gail Andrews isn't facing criminal charges,:waitasec: but her house is now condemned and might be demolished

Mother died 14 months ago - 10 dead cats also found inside house
We could smell this all the way to the road,” Didio wrote in his report about the June 4 check on St. Andrews Circle. “I approached the house and looked in the open front window to see a house full of trash. Crawling over the trash were rats and mice that jumped when I shined my light.

She admitted 10 dead cats found inside were accumulated over many years. “She said she didn’t have the money to cremate them or dispose of them properly and didn’t want to throw them out with the trash,” Ward said.

The sheriff’s report says trash reached 2-feet high, the floor wasn’t visible, and healthy cats were caged.

It sounds like she didn't want to throw the trash out with the trash.

These are sad cases.

One of my distant relatives never let anybody inside her home and after she died we found out why. She had collected 3 decades worth of newspapers in dusty stacks all over the apartment and saved every single scrap of paper she'd ever laid her hands on, from ads to receipts and programs from concerts that she attended in 1965. We didn't find any dead bodies clearing the place up, thankfully.

Oh my lord.

I was at someone's house for the holidays one year when an elderly relative suffered what appeared to be a heart attack or stroke. She soiled herself, and her relatives refused to call an ambulance until they gave the poor woman a shower and changed her clothes. I could not talk sense into anyone-they were determined to make her presentable. Fortunately she recovered from the episode, but I will never forget it.

“When people call Code Enforcement and they do nothing for 20 years, they could have prevented this problem,” DeVeccchis said. “The rats were huge. She left her mother on the floor. They ate her mother.”

:no:

That is just sick!
I skimmed through the article and for some reason I missed that or I would have included it in the post!​

http://www.news-press.com/article/2...me-kept-south-Fort-Myers-mother-s-body-secret

:10 A.M. — Fourteen months ago, Gladys Andrews lay seizing and choking on the floor of her home on St. Andrews Circle, her body supported by pillows.

She’d been confined there since two days before, when she’d fallen and her 61-year-old daughter Gail was unable to lift her.

But calling 911 was not an option. Gail Andrews said they both knew if emergency workers saw the piles of garbage and the scampering rats, they’d lose the south Fort Myers home they’d shared for 35 years.

Eventually, Gladys Andrews died.

Her daughter was alone, frightened and living in a home so unclean she said she ate wearing latex gloves. She didn’t know what to do or who to turn to.

So she left her mother’s body on the floor.

Gail Andrews told her story Tuesday as she watched over her home from the protection of her neighbor’s yard. Lee County sheriff’s deputies continued to investigate the residence surrounded by crime scene tape, where last weekend they found what is believed to be her mother’s remains. They have not charged Andrews in the case.

This is two pages long, she tried to run when the police arrived. Also shows a video.

That is just sick!
I skimmed through the article and for some reason I missed that or I would have included it in the post!​

I can only imagine the relief of the neighbors. I'm sure they were getting their fair share of rat overflow. :yuck:

This is sad, the father had obviously worked very hard to purchase the home for his family, and now it is a total loss. Her mother could have been properly buried or cremated a long time ago. She had 10 dead cats to because she couldn't afford to have them cremated or dispose of them properly. This is just awful. Said neighbors brought her grocerys, I guess they was never allowed inside or she would have asked them for help with her mother.

from above link ~

She was unable to get back her teaching job, so she and her mother lived on Social Security and the $1,000 a month an aunt from Connecticut sent them. She wouldn’t comment whether she’d continued to cash her mother’s checks after she died.

If she did then she should be charged.

I can only imagine the relief of the neighbors. I'm sure they were getting their fair share of rat overflow. :yuck:

Rats are horrifying! I rented a house in Santa Barbara when I was in my 20's that was by the freeway where there was a culvert running under to the other side.

In my yard were fruit trees and one huge avacado tree. Shortly after I moved in, there was a full moon and I happened to look outside only to see a bunch of HUGE rats in the fruit trees.

It wasn't long before they were in the house and in the morning you could see huge teethe gouges out of the fallen avacado fruit!

I set huge rat traps and UGH! You should have seen them! One night, I heard a SNAP and the trap smacked and smacked against the concrete for several minutes.

It was a horror story to say the least!

How can you not afford to get rid of 10 dead animals.. I'm sure somewhere in that mess was a shovel, she could have buried them in the yard! What she did is despicable, and honestly, couldn't she be charged with criminally negligent homicide or something? And if she cashed her mother's checks, she should be charged with fraud too!

How can you not afford to get rid of 10 dead animals.. I'm sure somewhere in that mess was a shovel, she could have buried them in the yard! What she did is despicable, and honestly, couldn't she be charged with criminally negligent homicide or something? And if she cashed her mother's checks, she should be charged with fraud too!

I do think she was cashing her mothers checks, they haven't confirmed it but they said she would not respond when asked about that. Yes the 10 dead cats, that was her explination she gave. I thought at 1st she must have some kind of sickness, (not sure if thats the right word) But then she tried to run when the police came, so she obviously was in the right state to know what she had did was wrong.

Oh she knew she was wrong, BUT she also has to have issues to live with that amount of decomp and rodents etc....

Rats are horrifying! I rented a house in Santa Barbara when I was in my 20's that was by the freeway where there was a culvert running under to the other side.

In my yard were fruit trees and one huge avacado tree. Shortly after I moved in, there was a full moon and I happened to look outside only to see a bunch of HUGE rats in the fruit trees.

It wasn't long before they were in the house and in the morning you could see huge teethe gouges out of the fallen avacado fruit!

I set huge rat traps and UGH! You should have seen them! One night, I heard a SNAP and the trap smacked and smacked against the concrete for several minutes.

It was a horror story to say the least!

I want to scream! I had to lift my feet off the ground as I sit in my rat free home. I have no words!

Y'all may want to check out the phobia thread. :)

Oh she knew she was wrong, BUT she also has to have issues to live with that amount of decomp and rodents etc....

The neighbors said there was a funky smell in the neighborhood... why wasn't code enforcement called? Decomp is a very very very very distinct smell... I don't know how she could live with it, let alone how the neighbors could. It would stick to her everytime she left the house!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Quincy_M.E.
Back