Page 19 of 68 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 285 of 1006
  1. #271
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    23

    hello again

    Thanks for the welcome in the past thread! I will try to comment on Peruvian specific things, but I'm not a law student, nor am I too familiar with the system... I do know that it isn't very good... Trials can take a long time and move very slowly, some judges are incompetent and others can be bought. I hope that with all of the attention this case has they won't try to do anything too fishy.

    There has been a lot of confusion with news reports and mistranslations... I don't consider Peruvian headlines to be all that accurate, they tend to exaggerate just to sell more papers.
    I haven't had the chance to speak to the friends that I had in common with Stephany. I think it would be awkward/sad to talk about what happened.

    I've read all of the pages since I last posted and wanted to add a few things:
    -The sign outside the hotel room is definitely an "S" (this indicates a secure area in case of an earthquake).
    -Stephany most likely spoke very good English. She went to San Silvestre school (it's british and exclusive). Her dad mentioned that this may have made it easy for her to connect to VDS in the casino.
    -Pisco sours are good, don't bash them.
    -Most established buildings have concrete walls, drywall isn't as common.
    -The hotel is right next to a gas station (which I think has a mini-store) and across the street from Wong (supermarket), either one sells coffee. I'm not 100% sure that that Wong opens before 9am, I'll try to remember to look at the sign next time I pass by.

    I'm not sure if he actually went out for coffee or not. I'm sure that they have a video that they have yet to release... I keep thinking that if he was trying to invent an alibi, he could've just gone there and actually gotten some coffee. I do wonder what SF and VDS were doing for the couple of hours that they were in there. I don't really think that they were "hooking up" as someone mentioned.
    I know that autopsy details have been released, but we don't have an estimated time of death, right?


  2. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to danielabc For This Useful Post:


  3. #272
    LadyL's Avatar
    LadyL is offline Sleuthing for Lonzie Barton & All Victims.
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    8,500
    Quote Originally Posted by Flow View Post
    Thank you for the link to the video.

    My opinion, the first one looks like a "brother" handshake, sideways. [I don't know what that is really called. It is where you clasp each others thumbs. I think it was associated with the Black Power movement in the 1960s or 1970s. Nothing intended about the history of the handshake. I am just trying to find a way to describe it.]

    The 2nd one does look like she hands him off a chip. But why would she need to sneak it to him? To keep up his machismo self-image? Was this video during the tournament or just a pickup hand of poker that night?
    wait a second, there's two handshakes?


  4. The Following User Says Thank You to LadyL For This Useful Post:


  5. #273
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    199
    Quote Originally Posted by legalmania View Post
    Saying that he told her(Stephany) she couldn't leave, secures the kidnapping charge.

    I bet he is kicking himself now for saying that. Joran is not as smart as he thinks he is, but there is no doubt that he is very evil.


  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sandangel For This Useful Post:


  7. #274
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    199
    Quote Originally Posted by Peliman View Post
    Then I have the story that seems to have sparked the speculation.

    http://translate.google.com/translat...is&sl=es&tl=en
    Since that is the case, I sure wished Nancy Grace would stop implying that Joran may be connected to the two missing Columbia girls on her show.


  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sandangel For This Useful Post:


  9. #275
    LadyL's Avatar
    LadyL is offline Sleuthing for Lonzie Barton & All Victims.
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    8,500
    Quote Originally Posted by Peliman View Post
    Yes and they will loan each other money during table play between the more seasoned players. Yes staking the bet and table collusion is a possibility too. My eyes have just been opened to it. My Columbia sleuthing has led me to believe pokerstars is the sponsoring organization for the Latin tour.

    I have seen a reported schedule of games but did not see Bogota, Columbia listed. YET
    [bbm]

    pokerstars.net is definitely the sponser for the LAPT - that's already been established

    http://www.lapt.com/

    what I found strange about the casino video was Steph looking around & hesitating to sit down & then ending up two seats away before moving next to Joran, along with the handshake, of course

    the speculation that she may have slipped him a chip is interesting and plausible, especially if its true that she was familiar with him and if they were possibly loaning each other money (honestly I highly doubt Joran would ever loan anyone anything, he seems like a 'taker' to me)

    but if they were cheating, well that might explain what I consider to be Steph's odd body language

    she knew him but didn't want it to appear like she knew him?


  10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LadyL For This Useful Post:


  11. #276
    LadyL's Avatar
    LadyL is offline Sleuthing for Lonzie Barton & All Victims.
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    8,500
    Quote Originally Posted by sandangel View Post
    You know I was wondering the same thing earlier today about whether he had a cell phone in his possession when he was apprehended. Almost EVERYONE has a cell phone and I thought it was strange that nothing has been mentioned.

    From what I have read about the case I believe that I have came across that Stephany had a cell phone and even used it the night before/morning of her murder. I would think that would be something Joran would have stolen from her along with the credit cards/money etc.
    Joran did steal her cell phone, according to his statement. He also says that he gave a cell phone to a taxi driver along with colognes and clothing & money.

    Operative words being, 'according to Joran' and we all know what his words are worth.

    ETA: ok, I'm not positive about him saying he stole her cell now that I think about it ... will have to verify that
    Last edited by LadyL; 06-17-2010 at 02:49 AM. Reason: ETA


  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LadyL For This Useful Post:


  13. #277
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    land of most amazing sunsets
    Posts
    12,499
    Quote Originally Posted by danielabc View Post
    Thanks for the welcome in the past thread! I will try to comment on Peruvian specific things, but I'm not a law student, nor am I too familiar with the system... I do know that it isn't very good... Trials can take a long time and move very slowly, some judges are incompetent and others can be bought. I hope that with all of the attention this case has they won't try to do anything too fishy.

    There has been a lot of confusion with news reports and mistranslations... I don't consider Peruvian headlines to be all that accurate, they tend to exaggerate just to sell more papers.
    I haven't had the chance to speak to the friends that I had in common with Stephany. I think it would be awkward/sad to talk about what happened.

    I've read all of the pages since I last posted and wanted to add a few things:
    -The sign outside the hotel room is definitely an "S" (this indicates a secure area in case of an earthquake).
    -Stephany most likely spoke very good English. She went to San Silvestre school (it's british and exclusive). Her dad mentioned that this may have made it easy for her to connect to VDS in the casino.
    -Pisco sours are good, don't bash them.
    -Most established buildings have concrete walls, drywall isn't as common.
    -The hotel is right next to a gas station (which I think has a mini-store) and across the street from Wong (supermarket), either one sells coffee. I'm not 100% sure that that Wong opens before 9am, I'll try to remember to look at the sign next time I pass by.

    I'm not sure if he actually went out for coffee or not. I'm sure that they have a video that they have yet to release... I keep thinking that if he was trying to invent an alibi, he could've just gone there and actually gotten some coffee. I do wonder what SF and VDS were doing for the couple of hours that they were in there. I don't really think that they were "hooking up" as someone mentioned.
    I know that autopsy details have been released, but we don't have an estimated time of death, right?
    Welcome -- as far as the estimated time of death they have pinned it to be the time of 30 May 830 am roughly

    I hope that you will feel okay to post your insights here. Your local knowledge will be much appreciated.


  14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to newone For This Useful Post:


  15. #278
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    land of most amazing sunsets
    Posts
    12,499
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyL View Post
    Joran did steal her cell phone, according to his statement. He also says that he gave a cell phone to a taxi driver along with colognes and clothing & money.

    Operative words being, 'according to Joran' and we all know what his words are worth.

    ETA: ok, I'm not positive about him saying he stole her cell now that I think about it ... will have to verify that
    check out the father's videos 1 thru 9 on the media post (no discussion) just links -- I found him very easy to follow -- he annotates the possessions of SF


  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to newone For This Useful Post:


  17. #279
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    645
    Quote Originally Posted by newone View Post
    May 6 - 14 was the Bogota Columbia poker tournament
    http://colombiareports.com/colombia-...ppearance.html

    yes he was there
    From your link:
    "The DAS announcement challenges a previous report from Colombian newspaper El Espacio, which linked Van der Sloot to the case."

    Something I read recently referred to El Espacio as a sensationalist newspaper, similar to National Inquirer I would imagine.

    So, as with everything else in this case, who really knows what's true!!

    MOO
    “Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't goin' away.” - Elvis


  18. The Following User Says Thank You to FLNY For This Useful Post:


  19. #280
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    land of most amazing sunsets
    Posts
    12,499
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyL View Post
    [bbm]

    pokerstars.net is definitely the sponser for the LAPT - that's already been established

    http://www.lapt.com/

    what I found strange about the casino video was Steph looking around & hesitating to sit down & then ending up two seats away before moving next to Joran, along with the handshake, of course

    the speculation that she may have slipped him a chip is interesting and plausible, especially if its true that she was familiar with him and if they were possibly loaning each other money (honestly I highly doubt Joran would ever loan anyone anything, he seems like a 'taker' to me)

    but if they were cheating, well that might explain what I consider to be Steph's odd body language

    she knew him but didn't want it to appear like she knew him?
    It's called ''goodwill'' gesture to the mark......first person to loan the money builds the trust ....


  20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to newone For This Useful Post:


  21. #281
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    land of most amazing sunsets
    Posts
    12,499
    Quote Originally Posted by FLNY View Post
    From your link:
    "The DAS announcement challenges a previous report from Colombian newspaper El Espacio, which linked Van der Sloot to the case."

    Something I read recently referred to El Espacio as a sensationalist newspaper, similar to National Inquirer I would imagine.

    So, as with everything else in this case, who really knows what's true!!

    MOO
    I hear ya...kind of like the fact that the next day (after the murder) there was a local Lima tournament (yet JVDS was not registered at that time) for LAPT YET he was supposed to be attending that one too. (Remember the phone call to his room- buddy was waiting for him at the warmup party)


  22. The Following User Says Thank You to newone For This Useful Post:


  23. #282
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    645
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyL View Post
    Joran did steal her cell phone, according to his statement. He also says that he gave a cell phone to a taxi driver along with colognes and clothing & money.

    Operative words being, 'according to Joran' and we all know what his words are worth.

    ETA: ok, I'm not positive about him saying he stole her cell now that I think about it ... will have to verify that
    I'm pretty sure that on the taped interview with her father, he mentioned that they had her cell phone and, at the time, were able to only get info on the calls she made (which included 2 to an unknown cell phone) and hadn't yet gotten the phone co. to give them info on the incoming calls. That was back on June 6.

    I think Joran gave his cell phone to the taxi drivers.

    MOO
    “Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't goin' away.” - Elvis


  24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FLNY For This Useful Post:


  25. #283
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    645
    snipped

    "Questioning the citizens Netherlands Joran Andreas Petrus van der Sloot was scheduled for Monday June 21 at 10:00 am in the Miguel Castro Castro prison in Canto Grande." (Peru time is the same as our Central Time)

    "Dr. Córdova Morales also ordered the implementation of psychological and psychiatric expertise to the principal defendant, and the ratification of the autopsy and all the expert opinions made in the preliminary stage (fingerprint, forensic psychology, criminal roadworthiness, toxicological, etc.) , so that specialists explain the reasons for their opinions."

    http://elcomercio.pe/noticia/496089/...lunes-21-junio
    “Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't goin' away.” - Elvis


  26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FLNY For This Useful Post:


  27. #284
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    land of most amazing sunsets
    Posts
    12,499
    Quote Originally Posted by danielabc View Post
    Thanks for the welcome in the past thread! I will try to comment on Peruvian specific things, but I'm not a law student, nor am I too familiar with the system... I do know that it isn't very good... Trials can take a long time and move very slowly, some judges are incompetent and others can be bought. I hope that with all of the attention this case has they won't try to do anything too fishy.

    There has been a lot of confusion with news reports and mistranslations... I don't consider Peruvian headlines to be all that accurate, they tend to exaggerate just to sell more papers.
    I haven't had the chance to speak to the friends that I had in common with Stephany. I think it would be awkward/sad to talk about what happened.

    I've read all of the pages since I last posted and wanted to add a few things:
    -The sign outside the hotel room is definitely an "S" (this indicates a secure area in case of an earthquake).
    -Stephany most likely spoke very good English. She went to San Silvestre school (it's british and exclusive). Her dad mentioned that this may have made it easy for her to connect to VDS in the casino.
    -Pisco sours are good, don't bash them.
    -Most established buildings have concrete walls, drywall isn't as common.
    -The hotel is right next to a gas station (which I think has a mini-store) and across the street from Wong (supermarket), either one sells coffee. I'm not 100% sure that that Wong opens before 9am, I'll try to remember to look at the sign next time I pass by.

    I'm not sure if he actually went out for coffee or not. I'm sure that they have a video that they have yet to release... I keep thinking that if he was trying to invent an alibi, he could've just gone there and actually gotten some coffee. I do wonder what SF and VDS were doing for the couple of hours that they were in there. I don't really think that they were "hooking up" as someone mentioned.
    I know that autopsy details have been released, but we don't have an estimated time of death, right?
    haven't had the chance to speak to the friends that I had in common with Stephany. I think it would be awkward/sad to talk about what happened.

    When you have time please tell us how your friends felt about Stephany playing cards with JVDS prior to the 30 May -- if they even knew about it-- perhaps she kept her gambling separate from her friends?


  28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to newone For This Useful Post:


  29. #285
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    land of most amazing sunsets
    Posts
    12,499
    What really cheeses me off about this fella is that he makes average guys look bad


  30. The Following User Says Thank You to newone For This Useful Post:


Page 19 of 68 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 977
    Last Post: 06-16-2010, 07:17 PM
  2. Replies: 786
    Last Post: 06-11-2010, 02:46 AM
  3. Replies: 837
    Last Post: 06-10-2010, 12:26 PM
  4. Replies: 786
    Last Post: 06-09-2010, 11:08 AM
  5. Replies: 569
    Last Post: 06-08-2010, 03:30 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •