1251 users online (235 members and 1016 guests)  


Websleuths News

View Poll Results: Clever or Lucky

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rs were clever

    4 4.35%
  • Rs were lucky

    88 95.65%

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 246
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ceti Alpha V
    Posts
    13,204

    Clever or Lucky?

    It's been on my mind for some time, but MurriFlower motivated me to finally put it up for a vote.

    I've heard it said that the Ramseys were extremely clever to successfully fool LE. The counter argument is that LE was not fooled (unless they wanted to be) and the Rs were lucky to have a spineless DA, clumsy cops and money to buy powerful lawyers and heavy-hitter "experts."

    Judge for yourselves.
    I'm as mad as HELL and I'm NOT gonna take it anymore!.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    35
    Lucky.

    Lucky to have found the right police jurisdiction to commit this crime in.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ceti Alpha V
    Posts
    13,204
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastermind View Post
    Lucky.

    Lucky to have found the right police jurisdiction to commit this crime in.
    I think the Midyettes would agree.
    I'm as mad as HELL and I'm NOT gonna take it anymore!.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,570
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperDave View Post
    I think the Midyettes would agree.
    For those looking for more evidence that ML is an incompetent buffoon, (if more evidence is indeed needed,) there is no need to look further than the Midyette debacle.
    For those unfamiliar with the case, I would strongly suggest they take a look as it sheds a great deal of light into the Boulder “justice” system.
    I agree with this bloggers view:

    The lucky couple
    Molly and Alex Midyette should get on their knees every night and thank whatever providential power they might believe in for having the good fortune to live in Boulder County. In almost any other jurisdiction, at least one of them would very possibly be in jail.
    Rather than traipsing about the Erie community while being monitored by an ankle bracelet, the suspect would be counting stale hours from the confines of a cell.
    But the Midyettes are lucky. They live in a county where the district attorney is the feckless Mary Lacy, engineer of last year’s fiasco involving John Mark Karr as well as other assorted public travesties. And so, when a grand jury under the care and feeding of her office finally got around this week to indicting the two with child abuse for the death early last year of their infant son, Jason, the most serious charge was a Class 2 felony.
    Now maybe you think that eight to 24 years, the normal range for a Class 2 conviction, minus “good time” of course, is a punishment fit for the crime. If so, you should read the grand jury’s indictment.
    There you will discover that at his death, 10-week-old Jason had more than 20 broken bones “in various stages of healing,” including breaks in his arms, legs, ribs, hands and feet. His skull had been fractured, too, with a “complete loss of gray-white interface involving the cerebrum,” which is as bad as it sounds. And he had “contusions on the right and left temporal lobes of his brain” that were “older than other hemorrhages found in Jason’s brain.”
    You will learn, too, from the testimony of an expert at The Children’s Hospital, that while many such injuries are fairly common in serious child abuse because of “abusive squeezing,” “violent shaking” or “twisting or pulling forces applied near the end of a bone,” the “hand and foot fractures are very uncommon, and are likely the result of a direct blow.”
    Only one conclusion fits this sickening set of allegations: Jason was not dropped or bumped and thus bruised and broken by accident, or even in a single violent fit of quickly regretted rage. He was roughed up repeatedly, brutally, and without anyone reporting a single incident either to a doctor or a cop.
    The only question is, by whom?
    The grand jury thinks it knows. It indicted Alex Midyette, among other things, on a charge of knowingly or recklessly causing injury to his son. Molly Midyette was indicted essentially for standing by and failing to act. So why isn’t the father facing a count of first-degree murder, for which bail could easily be denied?
    Perhaps only the prosecutors from Lacy’s office who presented evidence to the grand jury know for sure, but here’s what Colorado law says: “When a person knowingly causes the death of a child who has not yet attained 12 years of age and the person committing the offense is one in a position of trust with respect to the child, such person commits the crime of murder in the first degree.”
    Former Denver prosecutor Craig Silverman, who’s provided first-rate commentary on this case for KHOW radio’s Caplis & Silverman Show as well as other venues, tells me that “knowingly” in legal parlance does not mean intentionally, let alone after deliberation. It’s a lower standard. Which makes the failure to recommend the more serious charge even more mysterious.
    Meanwhile, in Denver, prosecutors waited only four days this week to file first-degree murder charges against a couple who allegedly starved a boy confined to a closet. The final torment of 7-year-old Chandler Grafner must have been indescribable.
    But then, so was Jason Midyette’s.
    http://blogs.rockymountainnews.com/o...ky_couple.html
    “It saddens me that 20 years after my sister Nicole’s murder, we are still seeing the same crimes, just different names, over and over again.”
    - Denise Brown (sister of Nicole Brown Simpson)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    4,970
    I can't vote,If RDI,one was clever ,the other one was lucky.
    The rice is already cooked...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ceti Alpha V
    Posts
    13,204
    Quote Originally Posted by madeleine View Post
    I can't vote,If RDI,one was clever ,the other one was lucky.
    I knew there was a category I was forgetting.
    I'm as mad as HELL and I'm NOT gonna take it anymore!.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperDave View Post
    It's been on my mind for some time, but MurriFlower motivated me to finally put it up for a vote.

    I've heard it said that the Ramseys were extremely clever to successfully fool LE. The counter argument is that LE was not fooled (unless they wanted to be) and the Rs were lucky to have a spineless DA, clumsy cops and money to buy powerful lawyers and heavy-hitter "experts."

    Judge for yourselves.
    Unlucky to have their daughter killed in their own home, while they slept totally unaware that she was being tortured and murdered in their basement.

    Lucky they were people of 'substance' and 'influence' so they were not ridden over roughshod by the BPD (thrown in jail until one of them 'confessed').

    Clever that they engaged skilled counsel at the outset, to save them from being blamed for murdering their child by the incompetent LE.

    Unlucky that the murderer of their child has not yet been found.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ceti Alpha V
    Posts
    13,204
    Quote Originally Posted by MurriFlower View Post
    Unlucky to have their daughter killed in their own home, while they slept totally unaware that she was being tortured and murdered in their basement.

    Lucky they were people of 'substance' and 'influence' so they were not ridden over roughshod by the BPD (thrown in jail until one of them 'confessed').

    Clever that they engaged skilled counsel at the outset, to save them from being blamed for murdering their child by the incompetent LE.

    Unlucky that the murderer of their child has not yet been found.
    I appreciate what you say, MurriFlower, but that's not what was meant. You said that RDI confused you. This poll was an attempt to clarify.
    I'm as mad as HELL and I'm NOT gonna take it anymore!.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    35
    Clever that they engaged skilled counsel at the outset,
    That actually may have been an unwise move on their part.

    The decision to "lawyer up" brought more suspicion on them and impeded the investigation even more.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperDave View Post
    I appreciate what you say, MurriFlower, but that's not what was meant. You said that RDI confused you. This poll was an attempt to clarify.
    Ok, maybe I did say they confused me. What I meant was that what RDI says is confusing. The fact that RDI is confused doesn't mean that I am confused as well. Clear?


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ceti Alpha V
    Posts
    13,204
    Quote Originally Posted by MurriFlower View Post
    Ok, maybe I did say they confused me. What I meant was that what RDI says is confusing. The fact that RDI is confused doesn't mean that I am confused as well. Clear?
    Like glass. My point in starting this poll was to show that RDI is not confused. I just wanted to make sure you appreciated the effort I went to for you.
    I'm as mad as HELL and I'm NOT gonna take it anymore!.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperDave View Post
    Like glass. My point in starting this poll was to show that RDI is not confused. I just wanted to make sure you appreciated the effort I went to for you.
    Appreciated?? Goodness me, man, I think this means I will now be forever in your debt LOL. I might have to slew a dragon to even the score!

    So far 100% reckon they're just lucky, no one has voted for clever. Let's see, can we make a list of their luck in order of importance? I'll start....

    1. Incompetent Cops
    2. Corrupt DA
    3. Stupid Coroner
    4. Superhero Attorney(s)
    5. Useless Experts
    6. ????

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ceti Alpha V
    Posts
    13,204
    Quote Originally Posted by MurriFlower View Post
    Appreciated?? Goodness me, man, I think this means I will now be forever in your debt LOL. I might have to slew a dragon to even the score!
    You threw down the gauntlet.

    So far 100% reckon they're just lucky, no one has voted for clever.
    Which is pretty much how I figured it would go.

    Let's see, can we make a list of their luck in order of importance? I'll start....

    1. Incompetent Cops
    2. Corrupt DA
    3. Stupid Coroner
    4. Superhero Attorney(s)
    5. Useless Experts
    6. ????
    I think it would be a long list after a while.
    I'm as mad as HELL and I'm NOT gonna take it anymore!.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperDave View Post
    You threw down the gauntlet.
    I never did no how!!

    Which is pretty much how I figured it would go.
    You'd say that no matter how it went.

    I think it would be a long list after a while.
    OK, now I'm throwing the gauntlet down. We've got numbers to spare. Let's see what you got.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,070
    Don't forget, Simultaneous dissociation.

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast