Clever or Lucky?

Clever or Lucky

• Total voters

BBB167893

Former Member
Reaction score
It's been on my mind for some time, but MurriFlower motivated me to finally put it up for a vote.

I've heard it said that the Ramseys were extremely clever to successfully fool LE. The counter argument is that LE was not fooled (unless they wanted to be) and the Rs were lucky to have a spineless DA, clumsy cops and money to buy powerful lawyers and heavy-hitter "experts."

Judge for yourselves.

Lucky.

Lucky to have found the right police jurisdiction to commit this crime in.

I think the Midyettes would agree.
For those looking for more evidence that ML is an incompetent buffoon, (if more evidence is indeed needed,) there is no need to look further than the Midyette debacle.
For those unfamiliar with the case, I would strongly suggest they take a look as it sheds a great deal of light into the Boulder “justice” system.
I agree with this bloggers view:

The lucky couple
Molly and Alex Midyette should get on their knees every night and thank whatever providential power they might believe in for having the good fortune to live in Boulder County. In almost any other jurisdiction, at least one of them would very possibly be in jail.
Rather than traipsing about the Erie community while being monitored by an ankle bracelet, the suspect would be counting stale hours from the confines of a cell.
But the Midyettes are lucky. They live in a county where the district attorney is the feckless Mary Lacy, engineer of last year’s fiasco involving John Mark Karr as well as other assorted public travesties. And so, when a grand jury under the care and feeding of her office finally got around this week to indicting the two with child abuse for the death early last year of their infant son, Jason, the most serious charge was a Class 2 felony.
Now maybe you think that eight to 24 years, the normal range for a Class 2 conviction, minus “good time” of course, is a punishment fit for the crime. If so, you should read the grand jury’s indictment.
There you will discover that at his death, 10-week-old Jason had more than 20 broken bones “in various stages of healing,” including breaks in his arms, legs, ribs, hands and feet. His skull had been fractured, too, with a “complete loss of gray-white interface involving the cerebrum,” which is as bad as it sounds. And he had “contusions on the right and left temporal lobes of his brain” that were “older than other hemorrhages found in Jason’s brain.”
You will learn, too, from the testimony of an expert at The Children’s Hospital, that while many such injuries are fairly common in serious child abuse because of “abusive squeezing,” “violent shaking” or “twisting or pulling forces applied near the end of a bone,” the “hand and foot fractures are very uncommon, and are likely the result of a direct blow.”
Only one conclusion fits this sickening set of allegations: Jason was not dropped or bumped and thus bruised and broken by accident, or even in a single violent fit of quickly regretted rage. He was roughed up repeatedly, brutally, and without anyone reporting a single incident either to a doctor or a cop.
The only question is, by whom?
The grand jury thinks it knows. It indicted Alex Midyette, among other things, on a charge of knowingly or recklessly causing injury to his son. Molly Midyette was indicted essentially for standing by and failing to act. So why isn’t the father facing a count of first-degree murder, for which bail could easily be denied?
Perhaps only the prosecutors from Lacy’s office who presented evidence to the grand jury know for sure, but here’s what Colorado law says: “When a person knowingly causes the death of a child who has not yet attained 12 years of age and the person committing the offense is one in a position of trust with respect to the child, such person commits the crime of murder in the first degree.”
Former Denver prosecutor Craig Silverman, who’s provided first-rate commentary on this case for KHOW radio’s Caplis & Silverman Show as well as other venues, tells me that “knowingly” in legal parlance does not mean intentionally, let alone after deliberation. It’s a lower standard. Which makes the failure to recommend the more serious charge even more mysterious.
Meanwhile, in Denver, prosecutors waited only four days this week to file first-degree murder charges against a couple who allegedly starved a boy confined to a closet. The final torment of 7-year-old Chandler Grafner must have been indescribable.
But then, so was Jason Midyette’s.
http://blogs.rockymountainnews.com/onpoint/archives/2007/05/carroll_the_lucky_couple.html

I can't vote,If RDI,one was clever ,the other one was lucky.

It's been on my mind for some time, but MurriFlower motivated me to finally put it up for a vote.

I've heard it said that the Ramseys were extremely clever to successfully fool LE. The counter argument is that LE was not fooled (unless they wanted to be) and the Rs were lucky to have a spineless DA, clumsy cops and money to buy powerful lawyers and heavy-hitter "experts."

Judge for yourselves.

Unlucky to have their daughter killed in their own home, while they slept totally unaware that she was being tortured and murdered in their basement.

Lucky they were people of 'substance' and 'influence' so they were not ridden over roughshod by the BPD (thrown in jail until one of them 'confessed').

Clever that they engaged skilled counsel at the outset, to save them from being blamed for murdering their child by the incompetent LE.

Unlucky that the murderer of their child has not yet been found.

Unlucky to have their daughter killed in their own home, while they slept totally unaware that she was being tortured and murdered in their basement.

Lucky they were people of 'substance' and 'influence' so they were not ridden over roughshod by the BPD (thrown in jail until one of them 'confessed').

Clever that they engaged skilled counsel at the outset, to save them from being blamed for murdering their child by the incompetent LE.

Unlucky that the murderer of their child has not yet been found.

I appreciate what you say, MurriFlower, but that's not what was meant. You said that RDI confused you. This poll was an attempt to clarify.

Clever that they engaged skilled counsel at the outset,

That actually may have been an unwise move on their part.

The decision to "lawyer up" brought more suspicion on them and impeded the investigation even more.

I appreciate what you say, MurriFlower, but that's not what was meant. You said that RDI confused you. This poll was an attempt to clarify.

Ok, maybe I did say they confused me. What I meant was that what RDI says is confusing. The fact that RDI is confused doesn't mean that I am confused as well. Clear?

Ok, maybe I did say they confused me. What I meant was that what RDI says is confusing. The fact that RDI is confused doesn't mean that I am confused as well. Clear?

Like glass. My point in starting this poll was to show that RDI is not confused. I just wanted to make sure you appreciated the effort I went to for you.

Like glass. My point in starting this poll was to show that RDI is not confused. I just wanted to make sure you appreciated the effort I went to for you.

Appreciated?? Goodness me, man, I think this means I will now be forever in your debt LOL. I might have to slew a dragon to even the score!

So far 100% reckon they're just lucky, no one has voted for clever. Let's see, can we make a list of their luck in order of importance? I'll start....

1. Incompetent Cops
2. Corrupt DA
3. Stupid Coroner
4. Superhero Attorney(s)
5. Useless Experts
6. ????

Appreciated?? Goodness me, man, I think this means I will now be forever in your debt LOL. I might have to slew a dragon to even the score!

You threw down the gauntlet.

So far 100% reckon they're just lucky, no one has voted for clever.

Which is pretty much how I figured it would go.

Let's see, can we make a list of their luck in order of importance? I'll start....

1. Incompetent Cops
2. Corrupt DA
3. Stupid Coroner
4. Superhero Attorney(s)
5. Useless Experts
6. ????

I think it would be a long list after a while.

I never did no how!!

That's certainly how it seemed. I just wanted to set the record straight. That's all.

You'd say that no matter how it went.

WRONG. If it had gone the other way, I would have been shocked.

OK, now I'm throwing the gauntlet down. We've got numbers to spare. Let's see what you got.

Cyril Wecht has described this case as the perfect storm, where every single thing went just right for the Rs. He's not alone in that assertion. I happen to think it was a regular storm, and Boulder just had a really lousy boat.

First and foremost, they were lucky in that they had each other. Two suspects means no suspects. Each one gives the other built-in reasonable doubt.

Second comes the DA and all the problems there: the inexperience, the lack of will, the connections to defense attorneys, the general political bent of the city, undercutting their own witnesses, ad infinitum.

Then you have how the cops messed up the crime scene, PLUS the tendency of defense attorneys to put the state on trial. As the OJ Simpson case proved, there will be someone on a jury who doesn't like cops.

That's as good a place to start as any.

That's certainly how it seemed. I just wanted to set the record straight. That's all.

Cyril Wecht has described this case as the perfect storm, where every single thing went just right for the Rs. He's not alone in that assertion. I happen to think it was a regular storm, and Boulder just had a really lousy boat.

First and foremost, they were lucky in that they had each other. Two suspects means no suspects. Each one gives the other built-in reasonable doubt.

Second comes the DA and all the problems there: the inexperience, the lack of will, the connections to defense attorneys, the general political bent of the city, undercutting their own witnesses, ad infinitum.

Then you have how the cops messed up the crime scene, PLUS the tendency of defense attorneys to put the state on trial. As the OJ Simpson case proved, there will be someone on a jury who doesn't like cops.

Remember the excruciating pain, that is the key. SD has it and the R's never had a clue. They sacrificed their daughter at the altar of SD's musings. It is called DUAL, SPONTANEOUS, INSTANTANEOUS DISSOCIATION. The first in recorded history. And how it pains him to know they experienced this psychological phenomenon, casting all their memories of their heinous acts into the sea of eternal forgetfulness. Oh the horror he's had to endure while destroying these lovely people! We can't possibly comprehend the tribulations he suffers every time he visits us with his presence and wisdom. We should be grateful for all he endures to enlighten us.

Remember the excruciating pain, that is the key. SD has it and the R's never had a clue. They sacrificed their daughter at the altar of SD's musings.

Knock it off, Fang. It's not funny.

It is called DUAL, SPONTANEOUS, INSTANTANEOUS DISSOCIATION. The first in recorded history.

YOU said that, not me.

And how it pains him to know they experienced this psychological phenomenon, casting all their memories of their heinous acts into the sea of eternal forgetfulness.

Tried to, anyway. Why don't you go bother madeleine? She brought it up.

Oh the horror he's had to endure while destroying these lovely people!

Don't give me that. I'm not destroying anyone. They don't need me for that.

We can't possibly comprehend the tribulations he suffers every time he visits us with his presence and wisdom. We should be grateful for all he endures to enlighten us.

The only thing I'll say about that is that I'm sure there are people who are pleased to have me around.

Knock it off, Fang. It's not funny.

YOU said that, not me.

Tried to, anyway. Why don't you go bother madeleine? She brought it up.

Don't give me that. I'm not destroying anyone. They don't need me for that.

The only thing I'll say about that is that I'm sure there are people who are pleased to have me around.

Don't be coy. Take responsibility. You have no evidence. You have nothing.

And just in case you don't know, it is not funny what you have said about these people without any evidence. THEY LOST THEIR CHILD.
YOU ARE IN PAIN?

Ok, we've already got the cops and the DA. So I'll just add the suspect collusion in sixth place. Not that I think that this was lucky, I'd put it in the clever basket myself.

So far 100% reckon they're just lucky, no one has voted for clever. Let's see, can we make a list of their luck in order of importance? I'll start....

1. Incompetent Cops
2. Corrupt DA
3. Stupid Coroner
4. Superhero Attorney(s)
5. Useless Experts
6. Suspect Collusion (lucky or clever??)

Ok, still plenty more numbers left.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back