Man finds 46,000.00 at Landfill ~ turns it in to Police

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
Bundles of cash -- some $46,000 -- were recovered Friday from a Columbus landfill.

The trashed stash of cash was found in the Pine Grove Municipal Solid Waste Landfill on Sacerdote Lane off Schatulga Road.

"It was found buried in garbage that had been there for some time," Deputy City Manager Isaiah Hugley said Tuesday. "It had been there for a number of years."

An employee working alone found the money while moving trash from one area to another. The employee was moving the excess garbage somewhere else because of federal and state regulations restricting how much garbage can be stored in an area.

He was backhoeing, digging trenches and digging up several bags of garbage when he stopped after apparently spotting the money, police Lt. Gil Slouchick said.

Hugley said the employee immediately called his supervisor and reported the finding. The money, $20 bills in clear plastic bags, was retrieved.

"I commend the employee," Hugley said. "The employee could have done something unethical but called a supervisor."

The director of Public Services, Rufus Riggs, was notified of the money and his department turned it over to Craig Strain, who manages the revenue collections division in the city's finance department. Hugley said that he was notified of the incident about 3 p.m. Friday.

At some point, the money was taken to the bank to be deposited, but it smelled horribly, Hugley said. "The bank was obviously concerned with the smell."

In an attempt to make the money smell better so it could be deposited, the revenue collections division then cleaned the money.

"My understanding is Craig Strain did something to clean the money," Hugley said. "I don't know what he did that it wouldn't smell so bad."

Sometime between the initial attempt to deposit the money in the bank and cleaning the money, Columbus police were notified.

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/mld/ledgerenquirer/9258726.htm

Casshew said:
At some point, the money was taken to the bank to be deposited, but it smelled horribly, Hugley said. "The bank was obviously concerned with the smell."

In an attempt to make the money smell better so it could be deposited, the revenue collections division then cleaned the money.

"My understanding is Craig Strain did something to clean the money," Hugley said. "I don't know what he did that it wouldn't smell so bad."

Sometime between the initial attempt to deposit the money in the bank and cleaning the money, Columbus police were notified.

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/mld/ledgerenquirer/9258726.htm

Wow, they really did "launder" some money! Is that illegal? Its tampering with US cash. And we all know that moneylaundering is illegal.

Ha Ha Ha. I'm so silly. Please don't throw rotten tomatoes at me. Make sure they are fresh. :truce:

How can rotten tomatoes be fresh? :waitasec:

Can I just throw eggs?

Arielle, that was a really good come back!!! :)

He'll get to keep it if no one claims it within a certain amount of time, right?

No no no. Eggs have hard shells and hurt on impact. I meant, please throw fresh tomatoes, not rotten ones! At least then I can make spaghetti sauce.

This brings up a great question...What would YOU do in this situation? I think I might hide some of it in my pockets, and turn the rest in, but I just dont know. I am pretty honest, so maybe I would turn it all in. Although, I have a newborn and could use some extra cash... :waitasec: :banghead:

Txswthrt5 said:
This brings up a great question...What would YOU do in this situation? I
It would really depend on how bad it smells. :bang:

Jeana (DP) said:
He'll get to keep it if no one claims it within a certain amount of time, right?

It just so happens that I was in Columbus about 17 months ago. I had a large amount of cash sitting on the dining room table and someone apparently confused it with left over spinach and onions and put it in a trash bag and threw it out. It slipped my mind until now, but I'll contact the Columbus PD tomorrow.

LOL. Good try. This is my home town. There have been a buttload of calls trying to claim the money, but evidently there is something special about the way it was found, and police won't give it up until the special circumstance is identified. Everybody agress the man who found it should get a reward, though. :)

LOL Vicktor ~ good try.

You really should eat your spinach and onions though :rolleyes:

If no one claims it within a certain amount of time, the city gets to keep it, not the man. bummer.

vicktor said:
It just so happens that I was in Columbus about 17 months ago. I had a large amount of cash sitting on the dining room table and someone apparently confused it with left over spinach and onions and put it in a trash bag and threw it out. It slipped my mind until now, but I'll contact the Columbus PD tomorrow.

Wow, good luck Vicktor! Don't forget about my 10%. :rolleyes:

Columbus
Landfill worker to get cash reward for honesty
Email to a Friend Printer Friendly Version

The mystery owner of the landfill loot has been solved. Wachovia Bank says they lost more than $46,000 due to a series of human errors.

A spokesperson says that employees were not following security guidelines and the money went missing. Disciplinary action was taken.

The money turned up 2 years later at the Columbus landfill when a worker who was leveling trash saw the cash. He called his boss and the money was eventually turned over to police.

Business cards and papers around the spot where the money was found, led investigators to the rightful owner.

It's not known how much of a reward the landfill worker will be given. Wachovia says they also plan to donate some to a local non-profit organization.
www.wtvm.com

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OwlEyes
Back