The Talent show

butterfly1978

Reaction score
There was suppose to be a talent show at 1:00 that Kyron was said to be in.
Yet Kyron was not there.
Kyron was there that morning for the science fair, but marked absent after they returned to class and he was not there. With him scheduled to be in the talent show, wouldn't this have raised a red flag?

Why did the SM go to the science fair but not the talent show?

Discuss anything pertaining to the talent show here.

There was suppose to be a talent show at 1:00 that Kyron was said to be in.
Yet Kyron was not there.
Kyron was there that morning for the science fair, but marked absent after they returned to class and he was not there. With him scheduled to be in the talent show, wouldn't this have raised a red flag?

Why did the SM go to the science fair but not the talent show?

Discuss anything pertaining to the talent show here.

Schreiber said Kyron was supposed to perform in the school's talent show at 1 p.m. but she didn't see him there.
http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/06/still_no_trace_of_kyron_horman.html

This is all I know. Of course, LE hasn't confirmed this or much of anything else.
I have the same feelings as you. Since the talent show was at the end of the day it would have been a perfect chance to bring home the science fair project, too. And it doesn't look like SM had anything else planned since she posted the science fair picture on Facebook around 1:00 pm. Maybe the baby was sleeping?

In that same article it says that Nora Schreiber is a Skyline parent and volunteer. Were all parents invited to attend the talent show or was it really intended for students only? Perhaps this parent attended because she had a volunteer role, but otherwise parents stayed away? (Someone suggested that previously in the general thread, as a possibility because they said their child's school has a "students only" talent show)

In that same article it says that Nora Schreiber is a Skyline parent and volunteer. Were all parents invited to attend the talent show or was it really intended for students only? Perhaps this parent attended because she had a volunteer role, but otherwise parents stayed away? (Someone suggested that previously in the general thread, as a possibility because they said their child's school has a "students only" talent show)

It was advertised on the school billboard outside. That says to me that it was probably as open as the science fair.

I read the info sheet from the talent show last year. If it followed the same format it involved under 2 minute performances by anyone that wanted to participate with an appropriate talent for ages K-8. Sounds more like a fun thing for the kids,but all were welcome.

Do we know what he was planning on doing in the show?

http://skylineelementary.org/files/5_26_09issue.pdf

IF Kyron was supposed to be in the talent show but wasn't wouldn't someone in charge have noticed he didn't participate? Was there a sign up sheet for those who planned on participating? I'm confused.. Was this not an organized event?

Based on the fact that the talent show was held mid-day, on the same day as a science fair, and that no one was reportedly alarmed when Kyron missed it, I surmise that the talent show was not a big deal. It would be on the marquee outside the school because it's a student event and those marquees are just as much for the students as they are the parents.

The Talent Show of June 4 is still advertized on Skyline's website calender for 1pm

But during the interview with KGN, the mom, Mrs Young, refers to the Talent Show at Skyline on June 4 as a "rumor" and Kaine confirms he had heard something about it but only after it took place ie during the investigation. (The key clip comes with about 9 mins 57 secs left in the interview)

http://www.kgw.com/video?id=97177194&sec=547977

Its clear neither parent knew ahead of time that Kyron was due to participate.

How do we know that Kyron was actually due to participate?

So far I can find only one confirmation in the Mainstream media on The Oregonian and that came from a parent not a faculty member.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/06/still_no_trace_of_kyron_horman.html

Nora Schreiber, a Skyline parent and volunteer, said the school has three main entrances and one secure exit. Two of the doorways are near the main office and are monitored, while a third on the north side of the school is not. Kyron's classroom is adjacent to that door, which opens onto a rear parking lot.

Schreiber said she and her son, J,,,,,,,,, 9, were interviewed Sunday by a federal agent. She said she told the agent that Friday was an especially hectic day at Skyline.

"On a normal day, seeing a stranger will make you go, 'Hmm. I wonder who that is?' On such a hectic day as Friday, there was such a lot going on. To tell you the truth, I was focused on looking at the (science) project and helping J........ fill out his (evaluation) form and not on the faces around me."

Schreiber said Kyron was supposed to perform in the school's talent show at 1 p.m. but she didn't see him there.

Are there any other datapoints that confirm Kyron's scheduled participation?

What else do we know about the Talent Show...and how do we know it?

Just an FYI reminder....... even when you quote from a news source you must only use the first initial of minors. Change them please. This is serious business. Thanks.

Hi, I just don't see any reason to doubt what Mrs Schreiber is saying as the truth IMO

that is very interesting.
Maybe he signed up and didn't tell anyone?

Maybe TH knew and didn't say anything?

Maybe is was a class song?

very weird.
reporter: "now was he supposed to be in a talent show that same day as well?"

desiree: "uhh there has been some rumor that he was supposed to be in the talent show.... uh, I don't really know if that is credible, no "

Kaine: "yeah, we we didn't have any information that lead us to believe that initially but we have heard some things since then, so we're not certain"

11:10 a.m. -- Vickie Coghill, a 35-year resident of Portland's Skyline area, pointed to the billboard outside the school, which reads "June 4, I.B. Inquiry Expo, 8-10, Talent show, 1-2:45." Kyron was to take part in both the expo/science fair and the talent show, Coghill said.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/06/day_three_search_continues_hun.html

Possibly "take part" simply meant his class was to attend?

Also, it's been my experience with kids that one might say he was "in the talent show" simply because he wanted to be, not because he had actually been accepted (if there were tryouts).

I wonder if there was a printed program that indicated he was actually to perform or assist another performer in some way.

6610sign.jpg

FWIW, the school calendar says "2 p.m." and when you click on the link, it has 1-2 p.m. but the sign above says 1-2:45 p.m.

Three weeks ago Fri, Jun 4
2:00pm Talent Show

http://www.pps.k12.or.us/schools/skyline/

And then when you click on the Talent Show link:

Talent Show
When
Fri Jun 4 1pm – 2pm Pacific Time

Source

Based on what both bio parents alluded to today in the "raw" interview, I am going to say that until I hear or see something from a credible source from Skyline School "in writing" with Kyron's name included as an expected participant in a Talent Show on 6/4/10...it's pure speculation...period.

jmo...

The point is this: don't you think that it would be important to KH and Desiree to know conclusively whether or not KH was supposed to be in the talent show or not? They didn't seem to know about it before he went missing. After 3 weeks they still don't know????

What I would like to know is if SM knew if he was going to perform in the talent show. She most certainly knew about it, being at the school that morning and it being on the billboard outside. I agree that his being in it could just mean his class was doing something as a whole. But we saw the video of Kyron singing with his class and of course she was at that. Why wouldn't she plan on going to this one?

The point is this: don't you think that it would be important to KH and Desiree to know conclusively whether or not KH was supposed to be in the talent show or not? They didn't seem to know about it before he went missing. After 3 weeks they still don't know????

Maybe it was just a casual fun thing. The talent show at Skyline last year was for anyone to participate in any kind of an under 2 minute talent. My kids would have most likely done something that I wouldn't want to see. Includes cupping their hand and an armpit or fitting their fist in their mouth.

Seriously, imo this was not a big show and was for fun.

Maybe it was just a casual fun thing. The talent show from last year was for anyone to participate in any kind of an under 2 minute talent. My kids would have most likely done something that I wouldn't want to see. Includes cupping their hand and an armpit or fitting their fist in their mouth.

Seriously, imo this was not a big show and was for fun.

You make a good point. The issue is that the talent show could have been hidden from them before KH went missing and now 3 weeks later they don't seem that interested in conclusively finding out if in fact he was supposed to be in that talent show. I say could because it is only speculative if they were purposely kept out of the loop on this.

Someone knows if KH was supposed to be in the talent show and if he was, why did Kaine and Desiree not know about it?? Time will tell I guess.

If Kyron was as shy as they are saying he is/was, then he was more than likely not directly involved in the talent show. An exception to that would maybe be if his whole class was doing something. I can't speak for this particular school. But, I know growing up all the talent shows at my schools (elem. to hs) were voluntary participation and typically involved some type of audition. Also, it was often mostly kids in older grades. Maybe the younger children were just supposed to be the audience for the older kids?

edited to add - that I saw where JBean posted that it was for all K-8 students. So, I guess they all could participate. But, again, it was voluntary and that brings me back to my original point that he seems unlikely to voluntarily participate in that type of thing.

It seems a little weird to me that the parents don't know if he was supposed to be in the talent show or not. I would think anything and everything in that day's timeline would be of interest to them and LE.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back