2010.06.07 SM Claims inaccuracies in media reports

greenpalm

I don't say much unless I've really thought it thr
Reaction score
I've been reading virtually everything, and I haven't seen anyone point this out yet. In the Monday June 4th update, which is given by Captain Jason Gates from the Multnomah County Sheriff's office. At the end of the statement, when things shift to Q & A, A member of the media tells Captain Gates that Kyron's stepmother is informing the media that they are reporting inaccuracies in the articles and reports from the weekend.

You can find the video here.
http://www.kgw.com/video?id=95820394&sec=547977

5:00 - Media asks, “Yeah, cause, we understand from Kyron’s stepmother that there’ve been several innaccuracies being reported over the weekend, and…we’re getting information from you guys. Can you comment on what she’s referring to? What’s wrong that you guys are giving us?”

“I don’t know what innaccuracies she’s indentifying. What I can tell you is that everything you’re receiving from us is absolutely correct.”

This fascinates me. This means, that, as early as June 7th, The Stepmother WAS contacting the media and telling them that their reports weren't entirely accurate, but when LE is questioned about it, they maintain that everything they've shared has been true. Wow.

I just thought this was pretty powerful. What could that mean?

Is it possible that they were commenting on the comments she posted online, but not directly to the media?

Though I am curious to know what she feels were reported inaccuracies.

Is it possible that they were commenting on the comments she posted online, but not directly to the media?

Though I am curious to know what she feels were reported inaccuracies.

True, they could have been getting that information from something she posted online. It's not clear what "we're getting." means. We know that media checked her social networking site because they reported on it. So, perhaps her posts stated that the media was inaccurate.

Either way, she was stating that the reports from over the weekend were wrong. I can understand that if she felt the news was reporting some things wrong that it could hamper the public's ability to search for Kyron, for example if the information about what Kyron was wearing was wrong.

On the other hand it could also mean that she felt something about the reports might implicate her, she might be trying to correct the media as a defensive posture. Could be a defensive posture, even if she wasn't concerned about being implicated. For example, she might feel defensive if the media was reporting that she left him a longer distance from the classroom than she did. Does that make sense?

The media asking about it suggests that she felt quite strongly about it.

It could be something really small, such as the confusion over who really called 911, and the whole bus stop situation...

The only place that comment was made by TH was on her FB page, so we are not supposed to discuss anything from that now private page.

jmoo

The only place that comment was made by TH was on her FB page, so we are not supposed to discuss anything from that now private page.

jmoo

There is a link provided up thread where the media asked LE regarding any discrepancies that Terri may have been referring to, and it is in that press conference where the question was asked, and therefore is within the bounds of discussion, as long as we ourselves do not delve into the FB page and bring those comments over.

I think it is a great question: While LE was asked, and answered the reporter's question, the answer itself leads to virtually nowhere. It is worth noting that the media picked up on that and did go to a verifiable source to clear the matter up.

I've been reading virtually everything, and I haven't seen anyone point this out yet. In the Monday June 4th update, which is given by Captain Jason Gates from the Multnomah County Sheriff's office. At the end of the statement, when things shift to Q & A, A member of the media tells Captain Gates that Kyron's stepmother is informing the media that they are reporting inaccuracies in the articles and reports from the weekend.

5:00 - Media asks, “Yeah, cause, we understand from Kyron’s stepmother that there’ve been several innaccuracies being reported over the weekend, and…we’re getting information from you guys. Can you comment on what she’s referring to? What’s wrong that you guys are giving us?”

“I don’t know what inaccuracies she’s identifying. What I can tell you is that everything you’re receiving from us is absolutely correct.”

This fascinates me. This means, that, as early as June 7th, The Stepmother WAS contacting the media and telling them that their reports weren't entirely accurate, but when LE is questioned about it, they maintain that everything they've shared has been true. Wow.

That she wanted to set the record straight. Pretty much for the same reason I suspect as the moderators want the same on this site. Inaccuracies and misinformation really muddles up the true crux of the case imo.

I agree with LE. I only take what they have told the media to be correct information. I think the media gets their misinformation from other sources and runs with it without even checking them out to see if they are true or not.

IMO

“I don’t know what innaccuracies she’s indentifying. What I can tell you is that everything you’re receiving from us is absolutely correct.”

That's extremely helpful to have that date to use to go back and identify the info given by LE and know that it's absolutely correct. We can look to see, e.g., what date LE said at the press conference that Kyron was last seen at 9am.

There is a link provided up thread where the media asked LE regarding any discrepancies that Terri may have been referring to, and it is in that press conference where the question was asked, and therefore is within the bounds of discussion, as long as we ourselves do not delve into the FB page and bring those comments over.

I think it is a great question: While LE was asked, and answered the reporter's question, the answer itself leads to virtually nowhere. It is worth noting that the media picked up on that and did go to a verifiable source to clear the matter up.

The very fact that absolutely no further comment was ever made by media regarding this whole issue tells me that they got the information from the facebook page, also. Either way, there has been no further issue about this from any source at all, so I am assuming it is a dead issue for the press, the family, and LE. There seems to be nothing to discuss about it, sort of a one and done kind of thing for the media and all involved.

jmoo

Welp, maybe the SM should contact a news agency she trust and give them the correct information... or lawyer up and let the lawyer speak on her behalf... IMHO

How does one report on what is not being answered?

How does one report on what is not being answered?

If she had ever contacted them at all, they would have said that "we got an email from" or a voice mail, or we spoke to, etc. AND they would have for sure used an exact quote just to have the scoop of having been in direct contact with the family when the family was NOT speaking to media. I am looking at this from the angle of a journalist and knowing from experience how they work. Having a direct quote from the family would have been BIG and I mean really BIG and they would have used it! Just look at how demanding they were to get a family statement for days and days. If they had ever had any contact with them prior to that, believe me it would have been right there in their headline article.

jmoo

I get what you're saying, Raeann. Really I do. However, the family is NOT speaking to the media outside of prepared LE press conferences. If the line of communication is shut down, and the reporter asks LE directly which inconsistencies were being referred to, and the answer deflects to a 'prepared statement' which says they are GETTING the correct information, doesn't it leave one to conclude that the media, regardless of what they're getting, could be representing the information which could lead to a wrong conclusion?

Perhaps it should suffice to say that media everywhere likes to take a story and make of it what it will until they're forced through a clearer and unequivocal comment to walk their own conclusions back a few steps.

First of all, that is factually true; the media reports from the first few days were full of inconsistencies. There were a lot of posts here on WebSleuths pointing out inconsistencies based only on logic. I'm sure there were more errors apparent to someone who knew more of the facts.

Second, I believe that the SM made a post to her Facebook page saying something to the effect that there were errors in the media. I believe that media question was based on her FB post.

I get what you're saying, Raeann. Really I do. However, the family is NOT speaking to the media outside of prepared LE press conferences. If the line of communication is shut down, and the reporter asks LE directly which inconsistencies were being referred to, and the answer deflects to a 'prepared statement' which says they are GETTING the correct information, doesn't it leave one to conclude that the media, regardless of what they're getting, could be representing the information which could lead to a wrong conclusion?

Perhaps it should suffice to say that media everywhere likes to take a story and make of it what it will until they're forced through a clearer and unequivocal comment to walk their own conclusions back a few steps.

I understand what you are saying completely. The media often seems to prefer to "interpret" the news rather than report facts. Who knows how the original comments about inaccuracies came about. My opinion of the original comment is that media was CALLING the family and saying we heard this or we heard that, as a method of trying to get the family to give out information to them. Media often does this and just makes up stuff that they "heard" in order to get the family to make a statement of some kind in an attempt to get out the accurate information. It is a common media tactic, not that it is the right way to do things by any means, but they do it all the time.

jmoo

I think it was purely defensive on SM's part. The reports make it seem like she was the last person to see Kyron - when in her mind she knows there is now way that's true. If she were to push the issue - it might make her seem like she is trying too hard to make it known that she is not the last person to see him. (Make sense?)

Also - what about the email from the dad to the people at Intel? Didn't he say the reports had it mostly right? When was that sent out again?

First of all, that is factually true; the media reports from the first few days were full of inconsistencies. There were a lot of posts here on WebSleuths pointing out inconsistencies based only on logic. I'm sure there were more errors apparent to someone who knew more of the facts.

Second, I believe that the SM made a post to her Facebook page saying something to the effect that there were errors in the media. I believe that media question was based on her FB post.

Yep, it's also possible that the SM heard things from other people that were inaccurate, and THOSE people claimed to have heard the inaccuracies from the media - and that may or may not have been true. So the SM's perception that the media was getting stuff wrong may have been out of proportion to what the media was actually wrong, but she wouldn't have known that.

If she thought things were wrong - why didn't she right them - then and there?

I would have said something like "the media has some things wrong...Kyron was wearing a green shirt - and I took him to his room where he stayed with his classmates as I left..." or somesuch - you get the idea.

Why say something is wrong if you don't say what that something is - and you don't correct it?

If she thought things were wrong - why didn't she right them - then and there?

I would have said something like "the media has some things wrong...Kyron was wearing a green shirt - and I took him to his room where he stayed with his classmates as I left..." or somesuch - you get the idea.

Why say something is wrong if you don't say what that something is - and you don't correct it?

This was one of the original thoughts I had regarding this as well. I'd like to know what precisely she felt was being wrongly reported, and why she didn't correct it.

The way the reporter words her question, it sounds like she is claiming that the media has ONLY reported information from the LE statements, which, we all know is not the case, because we have quotes, in those first couple of days, from Tanner Pumala, Gina Zimmerman, Carol Moulton, Nora Schrieber, Matt Shelby and then a couple of other people who saw stuff they thought was suspicious - but who were not themselves witnesses at the school that morning. But, because she words her question that way, it implies that the SM was finding conflict with what LE was reporting when compared with her version of the story.

I can definitely see why she would not want to be widely reported and thought to be the last person to see Kyron if, in fact she was not. We actually know that someone else saw Kyron after she did, we don't know who, and we don't know if Kyron was alone or with someone else.

I want to make it clear that I feel I am well within the rules to discuss this because, although that reporter may or may not have gotten her information from the now close fb site. I did not see the fb site. I did not bring this topic up based on a rumor. facebook is never mentioned in the video I linked and quoted, so, unless you expect me to be able to be a mind reader and somehow know with absolute certainty that that reporter got her information from facebook - then how could I be in any kind of violation. From my perspective this thread has nothing to do with facebook.

I think it was purely defensive on SM's part. The reports make it seem like she was the last person to see Kyron - when in her mind she knows there is now way that's true. If she were to push the issue - it might make her seem like she is trying too hard to make it known that she is not the last person to see him. (Make sense?)

Also - what about the email from the dad to the people at Intel? Didn't he say the reports had it mostly right? When was that sent out again?

According to http://ackerlaw.com/posts/2010/06/07/missing_child__kyron_horman_7 , it was sent out on 6/6 at 8:39am. I just now saw this. In the email, his dad states that "He was dropped off at school about 8:45 and went missing sometime between then and 9 or 9:30am." Really? Or did he mean that that was when SM left him at the school, after having been there for a while before hand?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bosie
Back