ID ID - Nez Perce Co., WhtMale 229UMID, 18-99, in Snake River, Jun'82

kline

Reaction score
18-20 year old white male,found in the Snake River south of Lewiston Idaho.
Died of gunshot wounds to shoulder and neck.
Killed with 38 caliber Smith and Wesson 38 centenial model.
150 pounds wearing designer jeans over swim trunks.
no tatoos.5'11" tall two inch scar on left ankle.Semi long black or dark brown hair.
Any info contact Lewiston Idaho Police Department.
The body was eventually buried in an unmarked grave at the Normal Hill Cemetary in Lewiston but I suppose they could retrieve DNA if they had to.
No missing person report from North Central Idaho Or Eastern Washington
was ever recieved that came close to the deceased.
this is the same River that the dismembered body of a female University of Idaho student was deposited in in 1981.
There is no known connection though both murders are unsolved.
The Young woman is thought to be part of a string of 4 other unsolved homicides that took place in Lewiston between 1979 and 1982.

The Doe Network:
Case File 229UMID
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/229umid.html
NamUs UP Case 3041 https://identifyus.org/cases/3041

229UMID.jpg

Sketch of Victim

Unidentified White or Hispanic Male

* Discovered on June 26, 1982 in the Snake River, on the Idaho side, 25 miles south of Lewiston.
* The victim was shot twice; once in the left shoulder and once in the neck.
* Estimated date of Death: January 1982

Vital Statistics

* Estimated age: 18 - 20 years old
* Approximate Height and Weight: 5'11"; 145-160 lbs.
* Distinguishing Characteristics: Long, straight dark brown to black hair. He had a 2" scar on his right ankle. piercings or bone breaks.
* Dentals: No dental work was evident in the teeth. He had great teeth with no cavities.
* Clothing: He was wearing designer jeans over blue swimming trunks with red and white stripes down the sides of the trunks, white socks, and blue bikini-style underwear.

Case History
No jewelery or identification were recovered and the body had no tattoos or distinguishing marks except for the scar on the ankle.
Ballistics proved the victim had been shot with a .38 caliber Smith and Wesson 36 Centennial Model. This particular weapon has not been manufactured since 1967.

Investigators
If you have any information about this case please contact:
Nez Perce County Sheriff's Investigator
208-799-3131
Email
You may remain anonymous when submitting information.

NCIC Number:
U-960002845
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Sean Kenneth Phelan
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/p/phelan_sean.html

229UMID.jpg
phelan_sean.jpg

Both he and the UID have a 2" scar on the ankle, although Charley says SKP's scar is on the left ankle, and NamUs and DoeNet say the UID's scar is on the right ankle.

The timeline is consistent. The vital stats are all within reasonable tolerance.

And SKP was known to have hitchhiked to Washington State. The Snake River separates Washington State from Idaho.

A few inconsistencies:

Charley says that SKP's eyes are blue (although you can't tell from the two photos of him whether that is accurate). NamUs indicates that the UID's eyes are brown.

Also, DoeNet indicates the UID's hair is "Brown to Black", while NamUs indicates tht the UID's hair is Red.

He looks similar to the sketch, but Scott is listed as having other scars and Namus only lists the ankle. Wouldn't Namus list those?

Boy, the pictures of Scott, both of them sure look like his eyes are brown don't they?

He looks similar to the sketch, but Scott is listed as having other scars and Namus only lists the ankle. Wouldn't Namus list those?

It depends on how badly decomposed the remains were.

But there are too many inconsistencies to be very confident with this one.

The ankle scars is probably just a strange coincidence.

That sketch reminds me of some actor, but I can't put my finger on it.

Updated information from the Nez Perce County Sheriff's Office

Estimated time of death is 1-3 weeks before discovery.

Estimated age is early to mid-teens, no older than 20.

Caucasian

Hair is black, straight and about 4 inches in length.

Wearing Britannica jeans, "California Sun" or California Shore" (hard to read tag) blue swim trunks or jogging shorts with red and white strips along outside leg seam, blue brief style underwear.

No tattoos or piercings, prominent raised 2-inch scar on right ankle.

No evidence of dental work; incisors missing.

Victim could have went into the river by Hells Canyon dam, approximately 50 miles upstream of where he was found. The Snake River is a wild and scenic river and part of Hells Canyon National Park. The area runs along three states--Idaho on one side, Oregon and Washington along the other. Since the Snake River originates in Wyoming, it's conceivable that this victim could have gone in anywhere; however, there are 7 hydroelectric dams and it may not have been possible for the victim to go through the dams. The river was running at 20 miles per hour during the May/June 1982 period.

The victim is definitely not Sean Kenneth Phelan.

Possible matches from the DOE Network are Mark Allen Merrit, William F. Woolheater, Dale Eugene Kelly, Bryan Lees, Stephan Charles Dunaetz, Titanic Hagen, Charles Collingwood, Jeffrey Keith Hegwood, Manthony Mario Bryan, Robert Curtis Coe, Gerald Douglas Oxby. Woolheater and Coes have been extensively researched, but until the Sheriff's Office can get DNA, these two individuals cannot be followed up on.

The Nez Perce County Sheriff's Office and the Coroner will be attempting to get approval to exhume the victim. This may take some time based upon budgetary constraints (small rural county).

We appreciate any and all assistance, tips, speculation, etc., as to the identify of this young man. Thank you for your interest in at least posting into a forum. You can e-mail us at investigator@co.nezperce.id.us if you have any information, questions, or tips.

Sgt. John Hilderbrand
Toni Greer

Forgot one thing...the Nez Perce County Coroner is updating NAMUS. No eye color and hair is black. The Sheriff's Office is attempting to update the composite based upon x-rays and post-mortem photographs.

Updated information by the Nez Perce County Sheriff's Office

13-20 years old
Black hair
Contact is the Nez Perce County Sheriff's Office, not the Lewiston Police Department.
Body is not in an unmarked grave. The site has been known and has a marker. The Sheriff's Office and Coroner are working on exhumation for DNA purposes.

Victim could have been from anywhere in the United States or elsewhere. This is a wild and scenic river and hosts thousands of tourists and sightseers. Several missing individuals from Idaho/Washington do match the general description; however, they have been ruled out.

Yes, it is the same river the young woman was found, but our victim was much farther upstream; at least river 30 miles.

Any information is appreciated by the Nez Perce County Sheriff's Office. Contact is 208-799-3131 (Dispatch) or investigator@co.nezperce.id.us.

I did a search at NAMUS and came up with a different list. the one that most closely matches location is Randall Leach, NamUs MP # 7429. (I did not have much luck posting links to individuals from NAMUS). he was hitchhiking to Oregon in late 1980 and was last seen in Idaho Falls in Nov 1980. He had brown hair.

the one closest in time to the discovery is Stewart E. Simmons, NamUs MP#717. it looks like he went AWOL from the Navy on June 19, 1982 from San Diego. he had light brown to blonde hair.

info on scars do not reference the ankle on either one.

This guy looks close:

James Edward Siwy
229UMID.jpg
2898508470045078242S600x600Q85.jpg

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/images/JESiwy.jpg

His height is right. His age is at the upper limit. He has semi-long black hair.

No mention of scars or missing teeth.

It's a little bit of a complicated scenario: He disappears from Alberta, is found across the US border in Idaho (below a US dam). His car is found in Toronto. I guess he could have driven into the U.S., was murdered, had his car stolen, and then the perp drives his car to Toronto.

ETA: I e-mailed this in to the e-mail address provided by Sgt. Hilderbrand.

Here's the response of the Nez Perce County Sheriff's Office to my e-mail regarding James E. Siwy. The response was sent Friday, but I waited until now so that I could verify with them that it was OK to post their comments online.

From: Investigator [mailto:Investigator@co.nezperce.id.us]
Sent: Friday, October 29, 2010 3:44 PM
Subject: RE: Unidentified White or Hispanic Male Discovered on June 26, 1982 in the Snake River -

We looked at him today...again. Alberta is right above Idaho and it's about 4-5 hours south to Lewiston. Part of the problem we've encountered with getting information is some LE agencies listed on the Doe Network will not respond. The other problem we're having is getting the DNA. John and I actively pursue this case almost every Friday, going over the old case reports, photos, and we're trying to come up with something new. The reason we've changed the age on our victim is based on the thymus gland. According to new information, the gland showed the victim may have been as young as 13 but no older than 19. Twenty may be pushing it. Also, FYI, the victim was dressed for "fun in the sun" probably on a raft trip or jet boat trip or just sightseeing along the Snake/Salmon Rivers.

Thanks for your interest in our case! John will definitely contact our buddy at the RCMP. We've dealt extensively with them regarding missing Canadians. I'll let you know what we come up with and I'll definitely let you know when we get the DNA.

Toni Greer
Nez Perce County Sheriff's Office
208-799-3130
208-799-3101 fax

Randall Leach has been ruled out based on a large investigation by Sgt. John Hilderbrand and Detection Corey Norlander of the Sheboygan County Sheriff's Department utilizing dental images. Detective Norlander is the detective on Randy Leach's case and is always working hard to find Mr. Leach, even though Mr. Leach was reported missing in Oregon.

Checked NamUs for Simmons, looked at the photographs, not him either. We really appreciate all the information.

This guy looks like a good possible, although there is no photo available.

Gregory Robert Mitchell
https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/5650/3

Note: NamUs incorrectly lists his DLC as Nov 16, 1965. That is probably his DOB. His DLC is indicated in the description as Nov 16, 1981.

His description indicates a scar on his right or left shinbone.
He is the right height.
He has shoulder-length brown hair.

Looks like it's worth a look to me, despite that he is missing from Florida.

This guy looks like a good possible, although there is no photo available.

Gregory Robert Mitchell
https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/5650/3

Note: NamUs incorrectly lists his DLC as Nov 16, 1965. That is probably his DOB. His DLC is indicated in the description as Nov 16, 1981.

His description indicates a scar on his right or left shinbone.
He is the right height.
He has shoulder-length brown hair.

Looks like it's worth a look to me, despite that he is missing from Florida.

Correction:

Gregory Robert Mitchell’s DOB is 15-Jan-65.

Also missing along with Gregory was David Ceinon Rees of Auburndale FL (DOB: 24-Jun-62).

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/5652/2/

DC Rees' DLC is listed as 16-Nov-81. Since they disappeared at the same time, this confirms that the "Date LKA" (Date of Last Contact) listed in NamUs for Gregory Mitchell is incorrect.

I am trying to find a photo of Gregory R Mitchell.

I checked Classmates.com and the only Winter Haven HS yearbook they have is the 1987 edition - No help here.

I am trying to get ahold of the Winter Haven HS school library to see if they can e-mail me a photo of GR Mitchell from the 1980 or 1981 yearbook (if he can be found in one of those books). Nobody answered the phone. I'll try again later.

Edward James Siwy went missing in 1983. He appeared in court in August/September of 1982 according to the RCMP. He's been ruled out as our John Doe.

I got ahold of the Librarian at the Winter Haven HS Library. They do have yearbooks, but they are boxed up for remodeling of the library facilities. I explained why I was asking, and she said that she would get someone to look through the boxes to find them. She asked me to give her until Wednesday to find them. If she does, and can find Gregory Mitchell in one of the yearbooks, she will have someone scan the page and e-mail it to me.

ETA: I also e-mailed the NamUs case manager and asked that she correct the error in Gregory Mitchell's "Date LKA".

it is nice that we have someone from the investigating agency checking in here and sharing information. makes our work seem like it is getting some appreciation!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back