UT - Ronnie Lee Gardner to be executed by firing squad 18-June

I'm trying to locate details of Gardner's crimes while he was in prison. IIRC, in the 90's he blocked off prison guards on visiting day and had sex with his g/f. Got drunk, etc etc. I'll keep looking for links.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_15272705?source=pkg

Condemned murderer Ronnie Lee Gardner told the crowd gathered for his Thursday commutation hearing he's a changed man: staying busy with positive things such as counseling other inmates keeps him out of trouble.
But the 49-year-old raised eyebrows when he also said: "If I escaped today, I'd go back to being the person I was."
"That doesn't reflect change," pressed a confused Don Blanchard, one of five Board of Pardons and Parole members considering whether to spare Gardner from a June 18 death by firing squad.

More at link.

I'm trying to locate details of Gardner's crimes while he was in prison. IIRC, in the 90's he blocked off prison guards on visiting day and had sex with his g/f. Got drunk, etc etc. I'll keep looking for links.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_15272705?source=pkg

Condemned murderer Ronnie Lee Gardner told the crowd gathered for his Thursday commutation hearing he's a changed man: staying busy with positive things such as counseling other inmates keeps him out of trouble.
But the 49-year-old raised eyebrows when he also said: "If I escaped today, I'd go back to being the person I was."
"That doesn't reflect change," pressed a confused Don Blanchard, one of five Board of Pardons and Parole members considering whether to spare Gardner from a June 18 death by firing squad.

More at link.

I found a really good article the other day explaining his crimes in detail. I'll search for it again.

I believe it was 1987 or 1988, when he broke the glass partition down in the visiting area and then baracaded the door and had sex with his gf, while the other inmates cheered him on!

I'll see if I can find some links.

As absolutely disgusting and wrong as his crime was...I'm completely against the firing squad idea and I'm really not proud to live in Utah at the moment.

As absolutely disgusting and wrong as his crime was...I'm completely against the firing squad idea and I'm really not proud to live in Utah at the moment.

Yea, I agree! I'm against the firing squad. I'm even more surprised Utah gives DR inmates the option to choose how they want to die! The victims didn't get that option!

whoa! there's a firing squad death penalty?! I had no idea ... I thought they were all lethal injection

I think some inmates chose firing squad as a sensational way to get attention drawn to themselves. That's my opinion.

It would be quick.

I think some inmates chose firing squad as a sensational way to get attention drawn to themselves. That's my opinion.

It would be quick.

yes, I was thinking that they probably think it'd be a 'cool' way to go ... in a blaze of 'glory' and that it would add to their infamy

:sick:

yes, I was thinking that they probably think it'd be a 'cool' way to go ... in a blaze of 'glory' and that it would add to their infamy

:sick:

I think that's what he's up to also. He's shown by his past acts he's not above going out of his way to create sensationalism with himself as star as it were. At everyone else's expense.

might want to edit to state that this is from something that happened previously

I thought for a second there were pics of his 'death' by firing squad

Oops! Sorry! I'll edit, thanks!

Ronnie Lee Gardner executed by firing squad

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=11218887

From the article:

Strapped to a metal chair, Gardner was fired at by five anonymous marksmen standing behind a wall 25 feet away; all but one had live rounds.

I wondered how the markmans were going to be able to rationalize or live with what they saw even after knowing what he did, chose this way to die and was given the death penalty in a court of law. I bet they still will have a hard time dealing with it if they are decent human beings...

I am so glad this monster has finally been stopped. He was a monster. A killing machine with no feeling except for himself.

The sad thing is if we can prevent the type of horrible child abuse that seems to breed these psychopaths we can stop these creatures from being created.

There are many people who suffer horrible child abuse and grow up to be kind and caring. I don't know why others turn into things like Gardner but they do.

The death penalty does one thing and one thing only, it guarantees that person will not kill again. Until we can figure something else out that is as fool proof as execution we will need to continue using this way to stop killers.

I have no pity for him. Just relieved he is off the earth.

The above is my humble opinion.

Tricia

From the article:

Strapped to a metal chair, Gardner was fired at by five anonymous marksmen standing behind a wall 25 feet away; all but one had live rounds.

I wondered how the markmans were going to be able to rationalize or live with what they saw even after knowing what he did, chose this way to die and was given the death penalty in a court of law. I bet they still will have a hard time dealing with it if they are decent human beings...

That's the reason they have one round that is not live. So they can think that they were the ones without the real bullet.

If I understand correctly these men volunteered. I certainly cannot speak for them but I bet they will have all kinds of feelings after tonight. However, they knew exactly what they were doing and I would be surprised if any of them will feel regret.

I don't like the death penalty at all but I feel it is necessary (see above post)and am grateful there are people out there who can carry the sentence out.

That's the reason they have one round that is not live. So they can think that they were the ones without the real bullet.

If I understand correctly these men volunteered. I certainly cannot speak for them but I bet they will have all kinds of feelings after tonight. However, they knew exactly what they were doing and I would be surprised if any of them will feel regret.

I don't like the death penalty at all but I feel it is necessary (see above post)and am grateful there are people out there who can carry the sentence out.

I am all for the death penalty and I truly believe Gardner got what he deserved. There are so many animals that we read about here on W/S and some that don't even make it in the news that I would'nt mind volunteering to pull that trigger when it came down to it..but I think there would always be that little voice inside me, that little tear that would cry for me..not for the monster..

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back