Thread: Boy not allowed hat to honor military

Boy not allowed hat to honor military

A young boy was not allowed to wear the hat he and his dad had prepared for Hat Day in his school because it had some little toy soldiers glued to it and the soldiers had guns. These are plastic toys glued to a hat. Guns are what our military use. Our military protects us and others and gives us the freedoms we are able to enjoy. Now we have a principal who doesn't know the difference in a plastic soldier holding a gun and a real weapon that might harm someone. Yes, this little boy learned a lesson. Because someone is a principal, she may have a book education but she is completely lacking in common sense. What a shame that this little boy tried to honor our military and worked on a special hat for Hat Day and got this put down from that woman and that school!

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/06/17...est=latestnews

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Annie For This Useful Post:

I heard this story on the way to my dentist office yesterday - I was appalled. The boy didn't get to participate in CRAZY HAT DAY because his crazy hat was camo with toy army men glued on it!

The army men would have been OK if they were army men without guns.

Bxtch slap that person will ya? I'm so very, very tired of this. I think someone needs some "common sense knocked into them" as my late father would have said.
    Disclaimer: while I have graduated law school and hold a JD, I am not yet licensed to practice. Therefore, if I say anything which could possibly be considered legal advice, or if I explain anything related to legal matters, rules of evidence, legal procedures, or anything related to law, please be aware that I do not yet hold a bar card and we have no attorney/client relationship. Please always, always talk to a personal attorney, and follow their directions. Please also follow the TOS in regards to all unverified posters. Thank you!

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ziggy For This Useful Post:

Disclaimer: while I have graduated law school and hold a JD, I am not yet licensed to practice. Therefore, if I say anything which could possibly be considered legal advice, or if I explain anything related to legal matters, rules of evidence, legal procedures, or anything related to law, please be aware that I do not yet hold a bar card and we have no attorney/client relationship. Please always, always talk to a personal attorney, and follow their directions. Please also follow the TOS in regards to all unverified posters. Thank you!

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ziggy For This Useful Post:

Silly nonsense. We have zero tolerance rules because bureaucrats are too stupid to think for themselves.
    For Travis Alexander, a human being. Justice will prevail.

*Gitana (means "Gypsy girl"). Pronounced "hee tah nah."

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gitana1 For This Useful Post:

What the other posters said. I totally agree. Just plain stupid.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Opie For This Useful Post:

I wish I could find a link that I read earlier, which contained a quote from the retired commander of the RI National Guard. I'll have to paraphrase, since I can't find the darn link, at least not yet! He said the American soldier IS armed. It isn't called the "Armed Forces" for nothing!

With my fellow posters, I agree that this is yet another example of the stupidity of blindly following a "no tolerance" policy.

SHEESH.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kgeaux For This Useful Post:

Still, a toy gun is a toy gun...if they are not allowed toy guns in school. I know it's is nitpicking, but we go crazy if school are lax, so common sense goes out the window with over-caution...
    Just my opinion, of course.

David awarded medal by Army

He was awarded a medal today by the army for his hat honoring troops. Hooray!

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2010/0..._medal_061810/

15. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Annie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cluciano63 View Post
    Still, a toy gun is a toy gun...if they are not allowed toy guns in school. I know it's is nitpicking, but we go crazy if school are lax, so common sense goes out the window with over-caution...
    OK but let's think for a minute: why have the rule in the first place? Probably because some kids might bring guns to school; they might not know the difference between a toy gun and a real one. The no guns in school idea is for safety, not to teach an anti gun ideology I WOULD HOPE. The school has no business teaching anything anti-Constitutional rights. We have a RIGHT in this country that is as old as the country itself and that right was given to us by the use of guns.

So a toy gun IS not a toy gun in every sense because we must look to the intention of the drafters of the policies and stick with that. Common sense has every right to rear it's head lest we become puppets of the government who can't have a single thought or make a good decision on our own.

Why aren't these "teaching opportinites" instead of opportunities for some looney left teacher to push a personal agenda. It makes me fight harder and harder for my law degree so I can defend our Constitution.

U.S.A.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ziggy For This Useful Post:

Aww that's a good ending. Now, I think an apology is in order from that school admin.

Shucks can't get that image to show. ARG.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ziggy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cluciano63 View Post
    It wasnt a toy gun it was an Army man. So it had the image or replica or a gun attached to it. It still was not a toy gun.

Are guns allowed in the books at school ? As in a picture in the dictionary? or a book about the old west?

They are training our children in a way that our children will not even understand the constitution because every thing they teach the child having to do with their policies undermines their constitutional rights.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Soulmagent For This Useful Post:

Ridiculous!!!

I have to wonder where our priorities are these days. I appreciate what our military does for us just as much as anyone else but I fail to see why a young boy being asked to abide by the rules and/or wishes of his school administration is somehow wrong.

"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler".

Albert Einstein

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated”.

Mahatma Gandhi

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Jack For This Useful Post:

I have to wonder what part of NO GUNS toy or not, is so hard to understand at these schools! i mean honestly, it may be silly, but it IS a rule. And that Includes when it's upon another toy. SOrry guys, but i'm with the school.
    Find Brian Shaffer!!
    www.findbrianshaffer.com

Janet Christiansen, Kaiden, and Family, justice WILL prevail!

JUSTICE FOR AMBER!

~*Cancel my subscription, I'm THROUGH with your issues*~

Yes, it is silly. There should be a difference made between a weapon that can harm someone and a picture or small toy. Everyone wants real weapons kept out of school in any form. But for educated adults to lump plastic toy soldiers in the same category is ridiculous. They need to use common sense. Last year a little boy got in trouble at a school for just drawing a picture of a gun in art class. I am with the little boy and think the school needs to change that policy. Shame on those adults.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Annie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I have to wonder where our priorities are these days. I appreciate what our military does for us just as much as anyone else but I fail to see why a young boy being asked to abide by the rules and/or wishes of his school administration is somehow wrong.

I understand the school not wanting toy guns at school.

But an army man is not a gun. IT is not a gun ,cant pretend it is a gun when it isnt. Where are the lines drawn ? Can the boy where a star wars shirt? or a toy story backpack? What are buzz light year action figure ?

They needs rules in place for a reason and this kids hat was not the reason.
    There is shooting and bombs going off in the movie ann frank and they show that in schools.
    Had it been a toy gun glued to his hat I could have said IT is a rule.
    but it isnt It was an action figure. So no barbie dolls should be allowed in school either because her clothing does not fit the dress code.

Our military is supposed to protect our freedom and defend our country. The nation was made on the challenging of rules. Rules that limited people from freedom of expression ,freedom of voice, and choice. This child was honoring that very thing.
    The goverment has decided that while your child is at school they get to act in loco parentis so can make decisions concerning your child and what rights they are entitled to that is how they get arround upholding the childrens constitutional rights. But now most high schools keep a resource officer on the grounds leading the student to the impression that this is the working example with all aurthoritive roles. So now you have a whole generation of young people running arround believing the constitution isnt important. Having no clue how to defend their rights or even understading what those are.
    Last edited by Soulmagent; 06-22-2010 at 01:26 AM.

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Soulmagent For This Useful Post:

Cubby is offline 50K reward, Bob Harrod-Missing: Call Det. Radomski 714-993-8176
    Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    He was awarded a medal today by the army for his hat honoring troops. Hooray!

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2010/0..._medal_061810/

This link made my heart happy for this little boy. AT least he is understanding sometimes the adults make some messed up rules! I'm glad he was excited about the medal!
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

Websleuths Resource Center

Call Kurtis - Psychics and the Missing

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cubby For This Useful Post:

this just goes to show that bearacurcy (sp) and paranoia out weighs patriotisim and common sense.

the kid was showing respect for our armed forces. and yet we say 'why are kids so desensitized to important things around them?" well this kid isnt. he cares. and he got in trouble for it.

the whole worlds gone mad.

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kbl8201 For This Useful Post:

Stupid rules really make me insane. This is a stupid rule.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to miimaa For This Useful Post: