Identified! UT - Salt Lake City, Body in Red Butte Creek, Jun'10 - Douglas Nelson

What's that sound I hear? Running? North? Towards Canada?

Seriously, I don't know SLC very well. Is it feasible for him to have driving to this place and dumped her upstream? Near a dam, is it? Anyone from the area who could shed some light on this development?

Wouldn't this be a lousy, yet sweet father's day present for Chuck Cox?

This area is northeast of West Valley City (where the Powells lived). It would probably be about a 30 minute drive, definitely doable.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700041885/Possible-human-remains-found-near-Red-Butte-Garden.html

SALT LAKE CITY — A worker helping with the cleanup from last weekend's oil spill uncovered what appeared to be human remains Sunday near the Red Butte Garden amphitheater.
The Chevron employee was clearing brush along Red Butte Creek at around 11 a.m. when he spotted something sticking out of the water that looked like a partially decomposed foot. It was caught under a tree limb and other brush near the densely vegetated, steep creek bank.
University of Utah police and Salt Lake City fire crews are working to set up a rig from which they can clear more brush and safely reach the remains.
"We're presuming we're recovering a body right now," said U. Police Chief Scott Folsom.
He said he believed the foot had been there for weeks or months but not years.
Water flow from the Red Butte Reservoir has been slowed to lower the creek's level from 3 feet and aid in the recovery effort.
— Paul Koepp

Body removed from SLC creek near oil spill site

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_15339115

Police have removed a body found Sunday in Red Butte Creek during cleanup from a recent oil spill.
The decomposed body appears to be an adult, said University of Utah Police Chief Scott Folsom. He said it was fully clothed, but would not describe the clothing. The condition of the body is too deteriorated to determine its gender.
The body was discovered by a Chevron pipeline worker who was working on an ongoing cleanup of a June 12 oil spill on the creek. The worker saw a foot sticking from beneath a brush-and-debris pile in the creek near Red Butte Garden about 11 a.m., Folsom said.
Crews Saturday had opened a dam on the creek, raising its water level to flush the streambed as part of the cleanup. That action may have moved the remains further downstream to where they were found Sunday, Folsom said.
Recovery crews Sunday closed the dam about 3 p.m., to lower the water level and retrieve the body.

Do we know what Susan was wearing? Wonder what shape the clothing is in and if it will be any help in identifying the body.

Momtective - I remember the friend who had the meal with them on Sunday, said Susan was wearing long sleve black shirt and black pants when she last saw her (around 5 pm) - her husband has never commented on what she was wearing when he last saw her, so she could have been wearing the same clothes, or changed into pajamas that night.

http://www.fox13now.com/news/kstu-missing-utah-mom-family-prays-for-her-return,0,1851631.story
JoVonna Owings said she had dinner with the couple and their children around 4 p.m. and that Susan Powell was wearing a long-sleeve black shirt and black pants.

Crews Saturday had opened a dam on the creek, raising its water level to flush the streambed as part of the cleanup. That action may have moved the remains further downstream to where they were found Sunday, Folsom said.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_15339115

The snowstorm that hit Utah on the night that Josh was camping came from the South. Which is why is sounded strange that he would decide to go camping into an oncoming snowstorm.

Salt Lake got snow later in the early hours of Monday - which is why the police were claiming that they believe the Powell family could have had carbon monoxide poisoning because they had fresh snow in their driveway and sidewalks (no tire tracks or footprints leaving the garage or house) - so they either had to be inside the house or left before the snow storm (which from my memory started around 2 or 3 am)

If Josh went northeast to Red Butte at midnight, he wouldn't have to deal with snow for several hours. If he went South (like he said he did) he was driving into a heavy storm which began much earlier.

Red_Butte_location_map.gif

Is this the general area? Where is the dam?

University police also called in Salt Lake City Fire Department experts who are familiar with steep terrain recovery.
"It's a very steep, unsteady footing -- heavily overgrown with brush," Folsom said. "We set it up to do it safely so we don't have any of the detectives or firefighters injured doing the operation. It just involves setting up a lot of equipment.
Saturday, Chevron conducted a flush of the creek, so police say it's possible this body started out further upstream.
The university has no missing persons cases on file, so it's involving other agencies throughout the valley.
Police say there's no way to tell if the body could belong to Susan Powell, the West Valley City mother who's been missing since late last year.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=11249716

this station just updated their story with a little more information.

SBM

Police say there's no way to tell if the body could belong to Susan Powell, the West Valley City mother who's been missing since late last year.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=11249716

this station just updated their story with a little more information.

Well, they could if we could see what the Powell household's internet activity and mood has been this afternoon/evening. ;)

Of the other missing bodies found that could have been her, I am most hopeful of this one.

It's kinda weird, the local Fox news has not updated their story since they had news that a foot was found (before the body had been recovered - which happened about 5:30 pm local time) The local Fox news just ended their 9 pm news hour without discussing the story at all. Deseret News took the story off of their front page on their website. I am still waiting to hear updates from the other local news. The other newspaper and tv stations still have their story pretty prominent.

20 miles from his home and there is a road going up there. I bet it is her.

I have hiked that canyon. I just have a feeling it is her.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back