750 users online (119 members and 631 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1
    Liz's Avatar
    Liz is offline I am not a chemist and this is not my 1st rodeo
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Northwest
    Posts
    25,446

    US - Russian Spy Ring Suspects Busted! 10 Alleged Secret Agents Arrested

    Russian Spy Ring Suspects Busted! 10 Alleged Secret Agents Arrested in U.S.

    The allegations are shocking: four couples living in the U.S. under assumed false identities while secretly working as covert Russian spies on long-term, "deep-cover" assignments to obtain information on nuclear weapons.

    They are part of a clandestine network that used a series of cold war tactics such as encrypted Morse code messages, brush passes and invisible writing to send intelligence back to the Russian government, the FBI said today as it announced the results of a multi-year investigation into the alleged spy ring.

    Charged are Richard and Cynthia Murphy of New Jersey, Donald Howard Heathfield and Tracey Lee Ann Foley of Boston, Massachusetts, Michael Zottoli and Patricia Mills of Arlington, Virginia, and Juan Lazaro and Vicky Pelaez of Yonkers, New York.

    More at link & video:
    http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/russia...ry?id=11037360

  2. #2
    Liz's Avatar
    Liz is offline I am not a chemist and this is not my 1st rodeo
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Northwest
    Posts
    25,446
    Links to the Justice Department's Complaints:

    Complaint 1
    http://www.justice.gov/opa/documents...complaint1.pdf

    Complaint 2
    http://www.justice.gov/opa/documents...complaint2.pdf

  3. #3
    Liz's Avatar
    Liz is offline I am not a chemist and this is not my 1st rodeo
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Northwest
    Posts
    25,446

    Cyprus Police Arrest Suspect in Alleged Russian Spy Ring

    Fox News just reported that this 11th suspect was arrested, but according to the article, he's been released on bail. (That doesn't seem too smart.)

    Snippet:
    Robert Christopher Metsos, 55, was arrested at Cyprus's Larnaca airport as he tried to leave the island for Budapest early on Tuesday, Reuters reported, and then released on $24,410 bail.

    http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/06...sian-spy-ring/

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    4,333
    I guess I'm naive but I really didn't think this went on between Russia and the US anymore. Brings back memories of the Falcon and the Snowman.

  5. #5
    Liz's Avatar
    Liz is offline I am not a chemist and this is not my 1st rodeo
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Northwest
    Posts
    25,446
    Quote Originally Posted by lizzybeth View Post
    I guess I'm naive but I really didn't think this went on between Russia and the US anymore. Brings back memories of the Falcon and the Snowman.
    You're not the only one, lizzybeth!


    Here's another snippet from another story:

    Moscow, meanwhile, has called the arrests of the alleged secret agents "baseless and improper."

    "We do not understand what prompted the U.S. Justice Department to make a public statement in the spirit of Cold War espionage," the Russian Foreign Ministry said in a statement on Tuesday.


    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/worl...s_baseles.html

    Alleged spy, Anna Chapman, pictured there, is young and very pretty!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    4,333
    Yes, she is beautiful. Had a business worth 2 million also. Just curious but would being that beautiful be an asset when involved in espionage? It might help in acquiring information from men but it would also make your face unforgettable. I would think you would want to sort of blend.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    25,216
    Quote Originally Posted by lizzybeth View Post
    Yes, she is beautiful. Had a business worth 2 million also. Just curious but would being that beautiful be an asset when involved in espionage? It might help in acquiring information from men but it would also make your face unforgettable. I would think you would want to sort of blend.
    As far as I can understand now, she is accused of trying to provide someone with a false passport (and even that was a set up by the FBI). This whole story right now sounds like a massive exaggeration to me. If these people did not work in positions which would have allowed them access to some classified information, what could they have possibly found out that was so super secret?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    25,216
    Quote Originally Posted by lizzybeth View Post
    Yes, she is beautiful. Had a business worth 2 million also. Just curious but would being that beautiful be an asset when involved in espionage? It might help in acquiring information from men but it would also make your face unforgettable. I would think you would want to sort of blend.
    On line real estate business. Which in New York would be what, a couple of apartments worth?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Rochester, New York
    Posts
    30,559
    Quote Originally Posted by Liz View Post
    Fox News just reported that this 11th suspect was arrested, but according to the article, he's been released on bail. (That doesn't seem too smart.)

    Snippet:
    Robert Christopher Metsos, 55, was arrested at Cyprus's Larnaca airport as he tried to leave the island for Budapest early on Tuesday, Reuters reported, and then released on $24,410 bail.

    http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/06...sian-spy-ring/
    I'm sure they're monitoring him. At least I hope so.

  10. #10
    Liz's Avatar
    Liz is offline I am not a chemist and this is not my 1st rodeo
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Northwest
    Posts
    25,446
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
    I'm sure they're monitoring him. At least I hope so.
    Yeah, you'd think and hope so, wouldn't you? However, it was just reported on Fox News that this guy who was released on bail is now missing.


  11. #11
    OneLostGrl's Avatar
    OneLostGrl is offline I'm going against the grain- I'm going sane
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Myrtle Beach
    Posts
    14,316
    Interesting stuff.. I'm surprised more people aren't discussing this.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    753
    Apparently they have a confession from one of the accused:


    The suspect known as Juan Lazaro made a "lengthy post-arrest statement on June 27," according to a bail letter provided by the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Southern District of New York.

    He allegedly told federal agents that he was not born in Uruguay, that "Juan Lazaro" is not his real name, that his house in Yonkers, New York, had been "paid for by the 'Service' and, although he loved his son, he would not violate his loyalty to the 'Service' even for his son," he said after he waived his Miranda rights, prosecutors say.

    The document also says Lazaro, who is married to co-defendant Vicky Pelaez, told agents she delivered letters to the "Service" on his behalf, and that he refused to provide his real name to prosecutors.


    more at link

    http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/07/01/...ef=mpstoryview

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Anaheim, CA
    Posts
    13,689
    Bizarre story. It seems most of these people just settled here and then created very American lives with property ownership, pool parties, etc. They had children who think of themselves as Americans. I didn't read the complaints but from the newspaper, it doesn't seem these people even gathered any usable intelligence for Russia. Makes no sense. I kind of feel these people had the benefit of a Russian-subsidized life in the states at the same time they pursued the American dream and reaped the benefit of being able to make money here through legitimate means as well. Were they just inept spies or were they using their government or, did they actually gain real intelligence. What's going to happen to their poor kids? I feel naive too. I though Russia had evolved from their totalitarian, cold war ideology. Guess not.
    For Elizabeth, a minor child, a victim. Thank God she is home!

    *Gitana (means "Gypsy girl"). Pronounced "hee tah nah."

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    753
    Quote Originally Posted by gitana1 View Post
    Bizarre story. It seems most of these people just settled here and then created very American lives with property ownership, pool parties, etc. They had children who think of themselves as Americans. I didn't read the complaints but from the newspaper, it doesn't seem these people even gathered any usable intelligence for Russia. Makes no sense. I kind of feel these people had the benefit of a Russian-subsidized life in the states at the same time they pursued the American dream and reaped the benefit of being able to make money here through legitimate means as well. Were they just inept spies or were they using their government or, did they actually gain real intelligence. What's going to happen to their poor kids? I feel naive too. I though Russia had evolved from their totalitarian, cold war ideology. Guess not.
    On an NPR show it was pointed out that all of the info gathering activity was within the legitimate bounds of their chosen professions etc, and that this could lead to russia and others detaining our journalists, academics etc under the same types of vague laws in response - not good.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    25,216
    Quote Originally Posted by SkewedView View Post
    On an NPR show it was pointed out that all of the info gathering activity was within the legitimate bounds of their chosen professions etc, and that this could lead to russia and others detaining our journalists, academics etc under the same types of vague laws in response - not good.
    I'd say. What exactly were they supposed to have found out that would be so secret and illegal? They aren't alleged to have worked somewhere they had access to secret information as far as I can tell. Then one guy supposedly confesses to being an agent, but refuses to tell what his actually name is. So why is confessing in the first place? They were supposed to have been infiltrating suburbs? What in the world could you spy on by infiltrating the suburb? The whole thing is bizarre.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. GUILTY PA - Darryl Bryant for dog fighting, animal cruelty, Wilkinsburg, 2012
    By passionflower in forum Recently Sentenced and Beyond
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-03-2016, 09:07 PM
  2. IL - Child porn ring busted, 27 charged
    By Liz in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 06-14-2011, 08:07 PM
  3. PA - 8 arrested online child pornography charges
    By magic-cat in forum Crimes-Spotlight on Children
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 01-25-2011, 01:46 AM
  4. Child Porn Ring Busted
    By Rocky in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 04-27-2006, 12:54 PM
  5. CIA holds terror suspects in secret prisons
    By tybee204 in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-05-2005, 02:13 PM