1025 users online (220 members and 805 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chicago burbs
    Posts
    74,856

    Once a month male birth control pill on the horizon?

    Developing a once-a-month male birth control pill?

    Posted by Tiffany O'Callaghan Tuesday, June 29, 2010 at 1:07 pm


    In the search for a form of male contraception that can rival the female birth control pill, a team of researchers from Israel may have just made a breakthrough. As the Telegraph reports, in initial animal trials the team of researchers found that a pill they'd developed — which works by stripping sperm of a protein necessary to fertilize an egg — was able to create temporary sterility in mice for one to three months, depending on the strength of the dose.

    Researchers plan to start human trials with the pill next year, and estimate that it could be available to the public in as little as three years.



    Full article at link:

    http://wellness.blogs.time.com/2010/...#ixzz0sGuXwtjQ


    I'm interested in thoughts. I think it is high time men have some responsibility regarding their fertility. I didn't find a link yet-but when I saw this on WGN news in Chicago, the anchor mentioned the side effects of this male pill are believed to be far less than female hormonal BC - which can cause heart attack and stroke - and this will be the safer of the choices.

    Will men take it? Or will they use the excuse they don't want to put any thing in their body which may have a slight risk of side effects. Even slighter than female hormonal BC if what I heard on the news is true.

    Will this eventually lead to no more excuse of 'she tricked me into getting pregnant'? Especially if the male pill has the same rate of effectiveness as female hormonal BC.

    Will it lead to a ' BC war of the sexes' He only has to take a pill once every 1-3 months while she has to take one every day?

    Not trying to start a debate, just tossing out food for thought.

    Thoughts?
    ~JMO~

    A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown


    Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

    You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chicago burbs
    Posts
    74,856
    “The scientist behind the male pill discovery has developed a tablet that removes a vital protein in sperm that is required for a woman to conceive.
    So while sperm still get through to the uterus they are unable to fertilise an egg.
    Using this approach, researchers believe they have a pill that is 100 pc effective at stopping pregnancy.”
    Even better, the story notes that the male version of the pill will not be accompanied by the same pesky side effects as the versions women have been popping for years


    Full article at link:

    http://news.nationalpost.com/2010/06...-pill-for-men/

    I can see it now, the woman insisting, "Honey - you have to take the pill, it is much safer for you than for me".
    ~JMO~

    A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown


    Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

    You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    5,676
    If it works and proves as a valuable souce of male birth control, I'm 100% all for it. Also, how many men are into the Viagra, et al, male enhancement meds? If they can take those with no problem, I can't see why they would have issues taking a med, once a month, to prevent pregnancy. About time is my thinking....
    "I went to the bank and asked to borrow a cup of money. They said, "What for?". I said, "I'm going to buy some sugar".

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chicago burbs
    Posts
    74,856
    Quote Originally Posted by OrdinaryLife View Post
    If it works and proves as a valuable souce of male birth control, I'm 100% all for it. Also, how many men are into the Viagra, et al, male enhancement meds? If they can take those with no problem, I can't see why they would have issues taking a med, once a month, to prevent pregnancy. About time is my thinking....

    I agree. I hadn't even thought of the Viagra, Cialis factor. I also think this would be great for single men who don't wish to impregnate someone they are not in a serious committed relationship with.

    We hear so many stories of 'she tricked me into getting pregnant' and some women do in fact admit, even anonymously, they tricked their partner into getting them pregnant.

    I can't see a male pill flying if they had to remember to take it every day, but if they only have to take it once a month or once a quarter I see it being a very viable alternative to female BC.
    ~JMO~

    A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown


    Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

    You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    5,676
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubby View Post
    I agree. I hadn't even thought of the Viagra, Cialis factor. I also think this would be great for single men who don't wish to impregnate someone they are not in a serious committed relationship with.

    We hear so many stories of 'she tricked me into getting pregnant' and some women do in fact admit, even anonymously, they tricked their partner into getting them pregnant.

    I can't see a male pill flying if they had to remember to take it every day, but if they only have to take it once a month or once a quarter I see it being a very viable alternative to female BC.
    Completely agree with you. Funny story (well, not really) ex accused me of doing that. I mean, seriously. This would be helpful on *so* many levels that I can't even begin to describe it. Let's face it. It takes two. Period. I love how the side affects, at this point, are nearly non-existant than what women have taking the Pill. Sounds like a win/win to me.
    "I went to the bank and asked to borrow a cup of money. They said, "What for?". I said, "I'm going to buy some sugar".

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Penn's woods
    Posts
    17,195
    This is such great news. Thanks for posting it! I hope it does become available to our male population soon.

    My Sons would be able to use it if they wished to do so. That makes me happy.

    My oldest daughter can't take hormonal BC. This could be used by her partner.

    Barrier methods only work to a certain extent. This would be great insurance for a lot of people.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Carolina Coast
    Posts
    12,597
    I don't know. We are talking about a gender who can't remember to put their dirty shorts and socks into the dirty clothes hamper, right? Can't remember birthdates, anniversaries? Refuses to wear condoms. Unless I sat him down, pried his mouth open, threw the pill down his throat, clamped his mouth shut, rubbed his throat until he swallowed and then checked the inside of his mouth just in case he didn't swallow it, maybe then I would trust his word that he took it. I can just invision a heated moment just before a bit of love when the important question is asked, "Did you take your pill honey?" and he replies: "Pill? Yeah, honey of course, yeah, let's go!".

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chicago burbs
    Posts
    74,856
    Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    This is such great news. Thanks for posting it! I hope it does become available to our male population soon.

    My Sons would be able to use it if they wished to do so. That makes me happy.

    My oldest daughter can't take hormonal BC. This could be used by her partner.

    Barrier methods only work to a certain extent. This would be great insurance for a lot of people.

    I too think this is fantastic for so many reasons! How many parents put their teen daughters on BC to avoid an unwanted pregnancy? I think this would be fantastic for teen sons who don't wish to become teenage fathers. As much as we preach absistance let's face it, some teens do become sexually active....

    I'm also one that could not tolerate hormonal BC, it was horrible for me. I can only describe it like PMS times one thousand from what I remember, it's been decades since I recall trying, twice and about 10 years apart each time. Both times it was way worse than the usual moodiness that accompanies PMS. In fact, I once had a gyno suggest I take anti-depressants in order to help me tolerate the effects I had from hormonal BC. I declined. No way was I going to take anti-depressants just to tolerate the pill.

    I see this as a win win all around too. Especially with the decreased side effects for a male bc pill than all female BC pills combined.

    I imagine this would be available to safely take for men long after the max age of 35 it is recommended for women to stop taking hormonal bc because the side effects become so much greater after the age of 35. Women still have many many more years of fertility once the health risks outweigh taking hormonal BC. I can see men being able to safely take this into their 50's 60's and even 70's...... if their partner has not yet reached menopause.
    ~JMO~

    A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown


    Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

    You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chicago burbs
    Posts
    74,856
    Quote Originally Posted by lonetraveler View Post
    I don't know. We are talking about a gender who can't remember to put their dirty shorts and socks into the dirty clothes hamper, right? Can't remember birthdates, anniversaries? Refuses to wear condoms. Unless I sat him down, pried his mouth open, threw the pill down his throat, clamped his mouth shut, rubbed his throat until he swallowed and then checked the inside of his mouth just in case he didn't swallow it, maybe then I would trust his word that he took it. I can just invision a heated moment just before a bit of love when the important question is asked, "Did you take your pill honey?" and he replies: "Pill? Yeah, honey of course, yeah, let's go!".

    LOL! If they remember the start of their golf games, the dates and start times of their favorite sporting events, the scores of games and the stat's of their favorite players; I think they can be 'directed' into remembering to take a pill once a month.
    ~JMO~

    A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown


    Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

    You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,263
    I'm all for it! Can't you just see all the men standing around in the locker room talking about taking their birth control??!!! LOL

    On a serious note, I wonder if some men will be apprehensive to take it b/c they're macho and associate birth control as a female thing?


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chicago burbs
    Posts
    74,856
    Quote Originally Posted by Indianagirl View Post
    I'm all for it! Can't you just see all the men standing around in the locker room talking about taking their birth control??!!! LOL

    On a serious note, I wonder if some men will be apprehensive to take it b/c their macho and birth control is a female thing?
    I thought about that too but times are a changin'. Men are demanding equal parenting rights. They are fighting mad that fathers are just as good of a primary care taker when it comes to divorce or single parenting and fighting mad the courts favor mothers. Equal is equal right? Why not be equally responsible for our fertility? and why not take something that has fewer side effects than those females have endured for decades taking the pill?


    My son is only 7.5 now, but if this comes to fruition, and he is dating seriously in HS I would be sure to make sure he is on the male BC pill. I think the genertion(s) of men who are accustomed to birth control being a 'chick thing' would be the most resistant of change, if they are resistant. Boys growing up now won't be as resistant.....

    JMO
    ~JMO~

    A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown


    Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

    You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    30,906
    Quote Originally Posted by lonetraveler View Post
    I don't know. We are talking about a gender who can't remember to put their dirty shorts and socks into the dirty clothes hamper, right? Can't remember birthdates, anniversaries? Refuses to wear condoms. Unless I sat him down, pried his mouth open, threw the pill down his throat, clamped his mouth shut, rubbed his throat until he swallowed and then checked the inside of his mouth just in case he didn't swallow it, maybe then I would trust his word that he took it. I can just invision a heated moment just before a bit of love when the important question is asked, "Did you take your pill honey?" and he replies: "Pill? Yeah, honey of course, yeah, let's go!".

    Hysterical! Your post made me snort soda through my nose! You rock!


    Nosy by Nature and a Websleuther by choice

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    16,021
    Honestly, I think BC must always rest with the woman because the woman carries the bullet, so to speak. I mean - for me - if some guy is trying to get me into bed with a "I'm on birth control" line, I wouldn't trust that not to make me pregnant....guys will often say anything to get laid. I'd want to handle my own BC!
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chicago burbs
    Posts
    74,856
    Quote Originally Posted by southcitymom View Post
    Honestly, I think BC must always rest with the woman because the woman carries the bullet, so to speak. I mean - for me - if some guy is trying to get me into bed with a "I'm on birth control" line, I wouldn't trust that not to make me pregnant....guys will often say anything to get laid. I'd want to handle my own BC!
    I agree, each should be responsible for their own BC. how many times has a female been dishonest about bc to a male? I wouldn't rely on the other person if we weren't in a committed relationship. For those teenage or younger who may be sexually active they won't have to rely on the female. And committed couples will have a choice. How many mothers would send their sons off saying make sure she is on the pill honey? Most would give him a condom. If this comes to fruition men will have the choice to better protect themself from an unplanned pregnancy for which they will have no choice in whether the female carries the child to term but will be legally responsible for 18+ years of child support.



    JMO
    ~JMO~

    A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown


    Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

    You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Penn's woods
    Posts
    17,195
    I think both of the individuals within a consentual sexual relationship should each take precautions to prevent pregnancy if that is they want to do.

    As for my own daughter, she had a blood clot (pulmonary embolism) from the BC pill. We almost lost her after her honeymoon. She can never use a hormonal form of BC again. There are many women like that out there. JMHO.

    In situations like that, I think this pill will give partners more latitude in their BC choices.

    On a personal note, I have both sons and daughters. ( 2 sons, 3 daughters). I am teaching my Sons never to put the responsibility of BC solely on the female in their relationship. That they too have a responsibility to prevent a pregnancy that may not be wanted at that time.

    Off topic but I had my two youngest daughters (teens) take the HPV vaccine. I wish that it was available to my sons too. Even though the rate of the cancer that is associated with males and that virus is rare. I don't want to hijack this thread though. Just throwing that out there as an aside.

    All of the above is JMHO.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Birth control pill recall!!! Please share!
    By longtallcold in forum Food, Drug & Product Recalls National & International
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-06-2012, 12:09 PM