1426 users online (315 members and 1111 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

TX - Newborn abandoned at apt complex

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...n/7087442.html

Such a beautiful baby. Glad she is now safe.

A newborn girl likely born just early today was left on a doorstep at an apartment this morning in Fort Bend County.

The baby, whose identity is unknown, was found outside the door of an apartment at the Preserve at Colony Lakes apartments in the 1000 block of Farrah Lane about 4:30 a.m., according to the Fort Bend County Sheriff's Office.

Deputies said she was taken to Memorial Hermann Southwest Hospital.

Child Protective Services spokeswoman Gwen Carter says she was told the baby may have been an hour or two old. Carter said the girl appears to be OK.

She will likely be placed in foster care when released from hospital. CPS and sheriff's investigators will search for family members.

Deputies were dispatched to the apartment after the resident found the child and called 911, officials said.

I'm glad the baby is okay and hope the mom is also.

http://www.fortbendnow.com/2010/06/30/46515

Deputies Searching For Mother Of Abandoned Baby
    Wed, Jun 30, 2010
    News
    Fort Bend Sheriff’s Office Deputies are searching for the mother of a baby girl who was left on a doorstep this morning about two hours after she was born. The baby, wearing nothing and laying on a white towel, was taken by ambulance to Southwest Memorial Hermann Hospital, where she is being treated for hypothermia.

Deputies are searching for the mother of this baby girl, who was abandoned on the doorstep of an apartment outside Stafford around 4:30 a.m.
    She is expected to make a full recovery, but Chief Deputy Craig Brady said if no one had been home when the baby was abandoned, she likely would have not survived.

The newborn was left on the doorstep of an apartment at the Preserve at Colony Lakes in the 1000 block of Farrah Lane, just outside of Stafford. Residents of the apartment heard a knock around 4:30 a.m. When they opened the door, they saw the baby girl on a towel.

Brady said they believe the baby was born outside of a medical facility, possibly in a residence or in a car. The baby, an African-American, is a healthy birth weight of 7 lbs., and her umbilical cord was cut in a jagged manner, possibly with a knife or a pair of scissors

justbeachy is offline "It's good to see me, isn't it? No need to respond; that was rhetorical."
    Thank God the birth mother had enough sense to leave the baby somewhere instead of killing it like so many other women have done. My hope is that she knocked on the door and then hid and watched to ensure the baby was found. If I read the article correctly, there was a knock on the apartment door at around 4:30 a.m. and when the door was opened the baby was discovered on the doorstep. It's not an ideal plan, but it is certainly a better option than some other mothers (I use that term loosely) have chosen.

Quote Originally Posted by justbeachy View Post
    Thank God the birth mother had enough sense to leave the baby somewhere instead of killing it like so many other women have done. My hope is that she knocked on the door and then hid and watched to ensure the baby was found. If I read the article correctly, there was a knock on the apartment door at around 4:30 a.m. and when the door was opened the baby was discovered on the doorstep. It's not an ideal plan, but it is certainly a better option than some other mothers (I use that term loosely) have chosen.
    Honestly, anything and everything can be excused using this kind of logic. Whatever somebody has done, presumably somebody else has done worse.
    That's not so bad, cause somebody else could have done much worse-I don't believe in that kind of logic.

I drove past my local fire station just yesterday and saw the "safe baby zone" sign on it, and I wondered: How many people really do leave babies at hospitals and fire stations anyway? I would think very, very few because of the shame a person would feel at having to encounter a real person while abandoning their child. I wish it would happen more often at those places than in random locations like this one...but sadly, I think the opposite is true.

Such a relief that the baby is okay!

Quote Originally Posted by justbeachy View Post
    I am glad she left it on the doorstep instead of a dumpster as well, she did knock so it seems like she wanted the baby to be found.

justbeachy is offline "It's good to see me, isn't it? No need to respond; that was rhetorical."
    Quote Originally Posted by jjenny View Post
    Honestly, anything and everything can be excused using this kind of logic. Whatever somebody has done, presumably somebody else has done worse.
    That's not so bad, cause somebody else could have done much worse-I don't believe in that kind of logic.
    How do you feel about Safe Haven locations? Are you opposed to them? I'm not trying to be combative, I just am curious about your perspective on the whole concept of Safe Havens as an "out" for women who choose to leave their babies somewhere instead of kill them. Clearly there are other options (keep the baby, adoption, etc), but the sad truth is that way too many women choose to kill their child after birth rather than to admit they even had one at all.

For the record, I'm not excusing her behavior. I am, however, darn glad that she chose to leave the baby instead of kill it. There is a difference between excusing someone's behavior and being thankful they chose the lesser of two evils.

http://www.39online.com/news/local/k...,3633732.story Mother was found

Officials with the Fort Bend County Sheriff's Office said the mother is 22-year-old Marjorie Johnson. Deputies said she admitted to investigators that she abandoned her baby shortly after giving birth to it outside her home.

After giving birth, deputies said she walked the baby to a nearby apartment building about 100 yards from her own and abandoned the baby for shocked neighbors to find.

"Your own child, your own blood, how would you do something like that to your own kid," said Bilques Prasala, who found the abandoned baby.

After finding the baby belonged to Marjorie Johnson police also found out her reason for abandoning the newborn. Marjorie lives with her mother, Rochelle Johnson. According to deputies, Rochelle doesn't approve of the biological father. That prompted Marjorie to wear baggy clothes and hide the couple's third pregnancy from her mother.

"There's just so much animosity there between the grandmother and the biological father of the child that the daughter wasn't going to tell her mother she was pregnant by him," said Chief Deputy Craig Brady, Fort Bend Sheriff's office.

According to what Marjorie told deputies, she had the baby in the grass outside her apartment before walking it over to the neighboring apartment.
    more at link

Thank God, the mother did not harm the baby, and probably, in her own way, did what was best for the wee one. Blessings Child of God!

Quote Originally Posted by laura08 View Post
    According to deputies, Rochelle doesn't approve of the biological father.
    So move out and get your own flippin' apartment! This is her third child by this guy, why does she keep having more if her family "disapproves" so much? I hope they find a good loving home for this poor child. The photo is beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by reen View Post
    So move out and get your own flippin' apartment! This is her third child by this guy, why does she keep having more if her family "disapproves" so much? I hope they find a good loving home for this poor child. The photo is beautiful.
    Sadly it sounded like maybe grandma is already raising the other two, when I say that the means to provide for them food clothes shelter etc. And that could be the problem she has with the dad that he isn't owning up to responsibility. He knew She was pregnant, never said a word till he seen the baby on the news. That's his child so he should have told her she needed to come clean in the beginning, prenatal care etc. Also the video said the grandmother would likely try getting custody. She is a cutie for sure.

While I wish she had opted for birth control, I cannot fault her for what she did. Ultimately, she made sure the baby was safe. There are far too many women who don't do that and kill the child or place it somewhere that it will die. This woman made sure that someone found the baby and it was safe.

http://www.39online.com/news/local/k...,3633732.story Mother was found

"Your own child, your own blood, how would you do something like that to your own kid," said Bilques Prasala, who found the abandoned baby.

HA! That neighbor should come read HERE if she thinks thats bad.

According to deputies, Rochelle was completely shocked and upset that her daughter had hidden her pregnancy and abandoned the baby.

"She was pretty upset. I was kind of surprised in the end because they seem to have a real close family with the mom and the daughters and such," said Brady.

Right now, the two week old baby is in protective custody. Brady said the baby's grandmother, Rochelle Johnson, will likely try to get custody.
    Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don't say it mean.
    We are all just trying to make sense of an unimaginable crime.