Lawmakers approve $20 million for Jaycee

chasing.halos

10/26/22 WAS the day. Justice for Abby & Libby
Reaction score
Lawmakers approve $20 million for girl held captive for 18 years

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) - California lawmakers approved a $20 million settlement Thursday with the family of Jaycee Dugard, who was kidnapped as a girl and held captive for 18 years by a paroled sex offender.

Lawmakers approved the settlement with a 30-1 vote in the Senate and a 62-0 vote in the Assembly.

Jaycee Dugard, who is 30, resurfaced last August with two daughters she bore with Phillip Garrido.

Garrido and his wife, Nancy, have pleaded not guilty to charges that they kidnapped and raped the young woman.

Dugard, her mother and daughters filed a claim saying state corrections officials failed to do their jobs. They claimed psychological, physical and emotional damages.

Prosecutors said Dugard and her daughters lived in a ramshackle backyard compound in the Northern California city of Antioch.

Dugard resurfaced after Phillip Garrido, a convicted rapist, brought her and the girls with him to a meeting with his parole officer, who did not know he had a young woman and two girls living at his home.

Before then, the daughters were raised to think Dugard was their older sister, according to court documents.

http://www.katu.com/news/national/97597249.html

wow i read this somewhere and thought the amount was a mistake.

holy moly!

who's the idiot in the house that voted no! impeach him! :)

ok in all seriousness, jaycee and her family, though it obviously wont make up for what they have all gone thru, can now not have to worry about money for therapy, education, physical problems ect anymore.

does the terminator still have to sign this into law?

Great news! I just hope she gets that money without any hitches. CA is in the hole, financially speaking, so I hope it's not a giant IOU. You know, $20 million may seem like a lot, but considering what they went through, it's not. It amounts to about $7 million for each of them for the rest of their lives.

The caption to the second photo says:
"Jaycee Dugard at age 11, when she was kidnapped, in an undated FBI photo obtained in August 2009 after she was freed."

Well this is good news. Poor girl, no amount of money will take away what happened to her, but at least she won't have to worry about how to take care of herself and her children financially. Money will be one less worry for awhile hopefully. I also hope that she actually gets the money and it's not just a big I.O.U. by the State of CA.

Lawmakers approve $20 million for girl held captive for 18 years

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) - California lawmakers approved a $20 million settlement Thursday with the family of Jaycee Dugard, who was kidnapped as a girl and held captive for 18 years by a paroled sex offender.

Lawmakers approved the settlement with a 30-1 vote in the Senate and a 62-0 vote in the Assembly.

Jaycee Dugard, who is 30, resurfaced last August with two daughters she bore with Phillip Garrido.

Garrido and his wife, Nancy, have pleaded not guilty to charges that they kidnapped and raped the young woman.

Dugard, her mother and daughters filed a claim saying state corrections officials failed to do their jobs. They claimed psychological, physical and emotional damages.

Prosecutors said Dugard and her daughters lived in a ramshackle backyard compound in the Northern California city of Antioch.

Dugard resurfaced after Phillip Garrido, a convicted rapist, brought her and the girls with him to a meeting with his parole officer, who did not know he had a young woman and two girls living at his home.

Before then, the daughters were raised to think Dugard was their older sister, according to court documents. http://www.katu.com/news/national/97597249.html
:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: SHE SURE DOES DESERVE IT

Great news! I just hope she gets that money without any hitches. CA is in the hole, financially speaking, so I hope it's not a giant IOU. You know, $20 million may seem like a lot, but considering what they went through, it's not. It amounts to about $7 million for each of them for the rest of their lives.
While the damage is done, at least they have enough money for therapy and to live a decent life. most people never see that kind of mula, but most people may not need as much therapy, nor do they have to hide from the public. Or start an education so many years later. IT IS A GOOD THING :)
She deserves it and CA better pay her in one sum. :)

Thank god! The government finally did something right. I posted awhile back here (which Natal strongly opposed) that the state should compensate Jaycee like they do with inmates that were wrongly imprisoned. The state of CA clearly made numerous mistakes that lead to Jaycee being held hostage and tortured for so long...

I'm thrilled that Jaycee and her children will have the financial freedom to do whatever they want or need for their recoveries and NEVER have to be forced to sell their stories to get by.

:woohoo: :dance:

Lol...where did you come up with the idea that I opposed compensation? What I said is that the state shouldn't be liable for damages under the circumstances, which is true since the damage was done under federal supervision, not the state. The state thought that they would have a case as well, but didn't think it was worth it going to a jury, according to Felipe Fuentes spokesman. The translation is that they had a legal case but it was bad politics, so they gave her the money through political means instead.

She won't be getting the money for the time being though, it was granted by passage of an appropriations bill, which has to be signed by the governor first. I expect she will get it eventually.

20 million is more than enough for a couple of lifetimes. I imagine that she is going to be getting lots of new friends soon wanting to help her dispose of it.

I'm thrilled that Jaycee and her children will have the financial freedom to do whatever they want or need for their recoveries and NEVER have to be forced to sell their stories to get by.

Actually, Jaycee has the money, the two girls and the Probyns don't. I wouldn't count out the possibility that any of those might tell their story. I don't believe there is all that much money to be made in the story as such anyway, it's more in how the moment of fame could be capitalized on, and I'm not sure if any of the players could do that (well, the girls we don't know).

one of the articles says the budget office approved it so they should get the money reasonably soon.

it equals out to 5 million i think (jaycee her mom and her girls)

Actually, Jaycee has the money, the two girls and the Probyns don't. I wouldn't count out the possibility that any of those might tell their story. I don't believe there is all that much money to be made in the story as such anyway, it's more in how the moment of fame could be capitalized on, and I'm not sure if any of the players could do that (well, the girls we don't know).

not true. in the suit the complaitants were jaycee, her mom and her girls.

so its not just jaycee getting the money.

not true. in the suit the complaitants were jaycee, her mom and her girls.

so its not just jaycee getting the money.

Jaycee's mom wasn't mentioned in the settlement, so I think it's just Jaycee and the girls.

Reading the comments in the news, it seems people are quite divided on this, with some people thinking that she deserves $20 million and others saying that that amount is excessive considering the taxpayers will be footing the bill (with possible job and program cuts as well). I can see where both sides are coming from, honestly.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlueSmurf1
Back