1307 users online (259 members and 1048 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

2010.07.01 - The Oregonian and Willamette Week not invited to the presser

IMO, I don't blame them for not inviting Willamette Week after they've been digging so hard into the family's history.

But I totally missed what the Oregonian did? That is a widely read statewide news source! What did I miss?

I don't know either, but I'm starting to be glad I don't live in Oregon.

Apparently, originally the Oregonian was kicked out, but by the time the family came back to answer the questions they were allowed back in.

The reporter at the scene said The Oregonian had somehow gotten back on the family’s good side and was among those waiting outside to hear the prepared statement

http://blogs.wweek.com/news/2010/07/...the-oregonian/
    ~True strength is being able to keep it together when everyone else expects you to fall apart.~

http://www.sheriannherboys.com

Possibly the news editors at those publications refused to abide by some ground rules. It's not uncommon for a journalist to refuse to participate in "off the record" conversations because they actually want to be able to report. If WW and Oregonian have good sources (which undoubtedly they do, you cannot do investigative journalism without it), then they might have felt it was smarter to be able to report what the news stations cannot. But that's all just speculation on my part. I don't know why they weren't invited.

I just think if I were a journalist, I'd not care that much about not being invited to what is essentially a press release/statement.

Okay, now I've read that WW article at the link CCup posted; "bizarre" is NOT even strong enough a word!

If the family truly wanted Kyron's name and face out there, they'd welcome any and all media.

Quote Originally Posted by sofia76 View Post
    Possibly the news editors at those publications refused to abide by some ground rules. It's not uncommon for a journalist to refuse to participate in "off the record" conversations because they actually want to be able to report. If WW and Oregonian have good sources (which undoubtedly they do, you cannot do investigative journalism without it), then they might have felt it was smarter to be able to report what the news stations cannot. But that's all just speculation on my part. I don't know why they weren't invited.

I just think if I were a journalist, I'd not care that much about not being invited to what is essentially a press release/statement.
    exactly what I was thinking ... Or maybe they already reported things they agreed not to.

Okay, is anyone else getting a bad taste in their mouth from this? What the heck? Why all this strategy? And does Law Enforcement have ANYTHING to do with today's press conference, or is it just the family?

Some interesting comments on this article at the end of this the Williamette Week article. It seems like there is alot suspicion goin on now. I didn't realize till now that the stepfather was a medford police detective. This case is all over the place.

http://blogs.wweek.com/news/2010/07/01/kyron-hormans-family-boots-ww-and-the-oregonian/comment-page-1/#comments

Quote Originally Posted by CCup View Post
    Apparently, originally the Oregonian was kicked out, but by the time the family came back to answer the questions they were allowed back in.

The reporter at the scene said The Oregonian had somehow gotten back on the family’s good side and was among those waiting outside to hear the prepared statement

http://blogs.wweek.com/news/2010/07/...the-oregonian/
    Did they cross thier heart and promise to be a team player?

Okay, is anyone else getting a bad taste in their mouth from this? What the heck? Why all this strategy? And does Law Enforcement have ANYTHING to do with today's press conference, or is it just the family?
    Not me. I don't let the trivial things bother me, given that Kyron is still gone. All I saw today that made any impact on me was a begging, desperate, distraught, sad mother pleading for her little boy, in the face of so little hope that he's out there alive.

This case likes to break the rules, that said, I have never seen LE orchistrate or stand behind anything like I saw today.

After reading the article, and some of the comments, my hinky meter is vibrating in a different direction.

I'm bringing over one of the best comments I saw posted regarding this:

Quote Originally Posted by raeann

The major clue that this whole PC was not about Kyron so much as about KH and the "team" asserting their 'control' of "the story" as they called it, is seen in the way it was handled. If they did not want to include certain outlets, it would have been easy enough to contact them ahead of time and let them know. They could have had their "bouncer" lady stop them at the door and send them quietly away. INSTEAD...they let them come inside, set up and sit down and then proceeded with a public flogging designed to humiliate, insult and punish them in front of their colleagues.

jmo
    bbm

Quote Originally Posted by winterrose View Post
    Did they cross thier heart and promise to be a team player?
    I'm kinda irritated at that myself.

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast