2010.07.01 - The Oregonian and Willamette Week not invited to the presser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimster

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ufo2001.com
IMO, I don't blame them for not inviting Willamette Week after they've been digging so hard into the family's history.

But I totally missed what the Oregonian did? That is a widely read statewide news source! :waitasec: What did I miss?

I don't know either, but I'm starting to be glad I don't live in Oregon.

Possibly the news editors at those publications refused to abide by some ground rules. It's not uncommon for a journalist to refuse to participate in "off the record" conversations because they actually want to be able to report. If WW and Oregonian have good sources (which undoubtedly they do, you cannot do investigative journalism without it), then they might have felt it was smarter to be able to report what the news stations cannot. But that's all just speculation on my part. I don't know why they weren't invited.

I just think if I were a journalist, I'd not care that much about not being invited to what is essentially a press release/statement.

Okay, now I've read that WW article at the link CCup posted; "bizarre" is NOT even strong enough a word!

If the family truly wanted Kyron's name and face out there, they'd welcome any and all media.

Possibly the news editors at those publications refused to abide by some ground rules. It's not uncommon for a journalist to refuse to participate in "off the record" conversations because they actually want to be able to report. If WW and Oregonian have good sources (which undoubtedly they do, you cannot do investigative journalism without it), then they might have felt it was smarter to be able to report what the news stations cannot. But that's all just speculation on my part. I don't know why they weren't invited.

I just think if I were a journalist, I'd not care that much about not being invited to what is essentially a press release/statement.

exactly what I was thinking ... Or maybe they already reported things they agreed not to.

Okay, is anyone else getting a bad taste in their mouth from this? What the heck? Why all this strategy? And does Law Enforcement have ANYTHING to do with today's press conference, or is it just the family?

Okay, is anyone else getting a bad taste in their mouth from this? What the heck? Why all this strategy? And does Law Enforcement have ANYTHING to do with today's press conference, or is it just the family?

Not me. I don't let the trivial things bother me, given that Kyron is still gone. All I saw today that made any impact on me was a begging, desperate, distraught, sad mother pleading for her little boy, in the face of so little hope that he's out there alive.

This case likes to break the rules, that said, I have never seen LE orchistrate or stand behind anything like I saw today.

After reading the article, and some of the comments, my hinky meter is vibrating in a different direction.

I'm bringing over one of the best comments I saw posted regarding this:

raeann said:
The major clue that this whole PC was not about Kyron so much as about KH and the "team" asserting their 'control' of "the story" as they called it, is seen in the way it was handled. If they did not want to include certain outlets, it would have been easy enough to contact them ahead of time and let them know. They could have had their "bouncer" lady stop them at the door and send them quietly away. INSTEAD...they let them come inside, set up and sit down and then proceeded with a public flogging designed to humiliate, insult and punish them in front of their colleagues.

jmo

bbm

After reading the article, and some of the comments, my hinky meter is vibrating in a different direction.

After today's events, I know where I'll be going for my news on this case.

The family has continued to state from day one that they want the focus to be on Kyron. But by their odd actions and especially KH's words and actions today...he has accomplished the exact opposite. Look at every local news station's comment section and everyone's focus is now the dad's behavior.

By kicking news reporters out of a presser that is supposed to get focus on Kyron has created the exact opposite. It's made people focus on the family dynamics. Very Sad. Praying for Kyron.

Originally Posted by raeann

The major clue that this whole PC was not about Kyron so much as about KH and the "team" asserting their 'control' of "the story" as they called it, is seen in the way it was handled. If they did not want to include certain outlets, it would have been easy enough to contact them ahead of time and let them know. They could have had their "bouncer" lady stop them at the door and send them quietly away. INSTEAD...they let them come inside, set up and sit down and then proceeded with a public flogging designed to humiliate, insult and punish them in front of their colleagues.

jmo
Wow,that just hit me,isn't that what's happening to Terri?And you're exactly right,they could have just called the media outlets asked for the reporters they wanted,noone would ever have thought anything.But,now people are getting a different picture of what might have led up to this whole "situation" as Kaine puts it.

The family has continued to state from day one that they want the focus to be on Kyron. But by their odd actions and especially KH's words and actions today...he has accomplished the exact opposite. Look at every local news station's comment section and everyone's focus is now the dad's behavior.

By kicking news reporters out of a presser that is supposed to get focus on Kyron has created the exact opposite. It's made people focus on the family dynamics. Very Sad. Praying for Kyron.

Exactly, they accomplished taking the focus off of Kyron in two ways: by excluding media that were there to report on what they had to say about his disappearance - including apparently the largest newspaper in Oregon - and by shifting the focus to their 'agenda', their rules for 'team players' and more about them, them, them (or more precisely the father and rules he was laying down) -- and not Kyron.

And Mark Klaas on Nancy Grace rightfully said earlier that he actually can put himself in their shoes and he doesn't get excluding various members of the press either. I posted earlier that I thought that that's how he would see it since he always says that parents of missing children tend to manage to not be offended by investigations because the focus is on doing whatever to move an investigation forward and find their child. And it makes sense that that would go for the press as well as law enforcement.

Exactly, they accomplished taking the focus off of Kyron in two ways: by excluding media that was there to report on what they had to say about his disappearance - including apparently the largest newspaper in Oregon - and by shifting the focus to their 'agenda', their rules for 'team players' and more about them, them, them (or more precisely the father) -- and not Kyron.

And Mark Klaas on Nancy Grace rightfully said earlier that he actually can put themselves in their shoes and he doesn't get excluding various members of the press either. I posted earlier that I thought how that that's how he would see it since he always says that parents of missing children manage to not be offended by investigations because the focus is on doing whatever to move forward and find their child.

He said more than that -- he also clearly cut them a break given what they're going through (which he has actually been through), and was not condemnatory of them at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni