Family of Amber Dubois seeks damages from California

They should sue and they will win in my opinion.
I agree, and in my opinion, they should win.

I have no doubt that if given the choice between any large amount of money and having Amber back, they would choose to have Amber back.

It would be hard enough to lose your child in a car accident, or to cancer... almost unbearable, really... but, to lose your daughter because she was simply walking to school and was abducted by a sex offender, raped, stabbed and murdered, and then having to wait over a year to even find out where she was, or what had happened to her, is nothing short of brutal.

The kind of torment that Amber's parents have had to endure is inconceivable to me- and what makes it even worse, is that it was so unnecessary.

Maybe if more large settlements are awarded to victim's families, the courts will start to think twice about the leniency they show to sex offenders.

~I don't think even one day has gone by, since I learned Amber was abducted, that I haven't thought of her, and her family. I have never met any of them, but this 'case' bothered me even more than most that I follow.

Something about Amber, and the pictures of Amber that her family shared with us/ the public, and the fact that it was the day before Valentine's Day and she had valentines with her to pass out to her friends, and a check to buy a lamb.....

and along came a monster, named John Gardner, who should not have been out in free society to begin with.

I have no doubt that if given the choice between any large amount of money and having Amber back, they would choose to have Amber back.

It would be hard enough to lose your child in a car accident, or to cancer... almost unbearable, really... but, to lose your daughter because she was simply walking to school and was abducted by a sex offender, raped, stabbed and murdered, and then having to wait over a year to even find out where she was, or what had happened to her, is nothing short of brutal.

The kind of torment that Amber's parents have had to endure is inconceivable to me- and what makes it even worse, is that it was so unnecessary.

Maybe if more large settlements are awarded to victim's families, the courts will start to think twice about the leniency they show to sex offenders.

~I don't think even one day has gone by, since I learned Amber was abducted, that I haven't thought of her, and her family. I have never met any of them, but this 'case' bothered me even more than most that I follow.

Something about Amber, and the pictures of Amber that her family shared with us/ the public, and the fact that it was the day before Valentine's Day and she had valentines with her to pass out to her friends, and a check to buy a lamb.....

and along came a monster, named John Gardner, who should not have been out in free society to begin with.

+1
A lot of Individuals who are on parole always feel like their rights are being violated and the law is nagging to them. Well this is why it is this way. A life is more important than a crimianls feelings. When the law is at falut, they should have to pay for the damage.

the state of california is gonna be doling out a ton of money cause of its incompetence

I totally agree. This case bothered me a lot from the beginning, too. There was something special about Amber that I really identified with. I don't know if it was that she was an animal lover or avid reader. Or just that she seemed like such a good, sweet kid. I didn't know her, but I knew she was not a runaway. The day that LE announced they had found her remains was the first time I cried over someone's death that I didn't know. It was a real kick in the gut.

Has anyone heard an actual figure? The article mentions "in excess of $25,000" but the rumor has that they are seeking $20 million. Does anyone know for sure?

Has anyone heard an actual figure? The article mentions "in excess of $25,000" but the rumor has that they are seeking $20 million. Does anyone know for sure?

I don't know but I hope it is in the millions. Between Amber's law suit and Jaycee's lawsuit, I'm hoping that governmental agencies all over the county take heed! We are TIRED of not having protection and if we hit the lawmakers where it hurts - their pockets - maybe they will take notice? We can hope anyway!

I hope it's more than $20 million! No amount of money will bring their precious Amber back and no amount of money will fill the emptiness in their lives and hearts, but there will be a quiet satisfaction in the fact that California will think twice about their responsibility where SO's & RSO's are concerned.

I doubt they would be able to win a claim since it doesn't appear that the parole office was negligent in this case. They had the information and made decisions based on that, which is their perogative. And in any event, he was off parole at the time so they had no supervision, unlike Garrido in the Dugard case.

I doubt they would be able to win a claim since it doesn't appear that the parole office was negligent in this case. They had the information and made decisions based on that, which is their perogative. And in any event, he was off parole at the time so they had no supervision, unlike Garrido in the Dugard case.

Sorry, Natal I completely disagree. It's true Gardner was off parole as of September 2008. But he shouldn't have been. He committed at least 8 offenses that should have sent him back to prison during the time he was on parole, including being on the grounds of the prison after his release which is a felony. Any of the number of other offenses would have been enough to send him back to prison. He would have been off the streets and therefore, Amber Dubois and Chelsea King would be alive today if it wasn't for the negligence of the Dept. of Corrections.

The report of the Office of Inspector General, David Shaw details the violations and the opinion that the Dept. of Corrections was negligent in it's handling of Gardner.

http://media.signonsandiego.com/news/documents/2010/06/02/oigGardner.pdf

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back