Public Swimming Pools: How Dirty Are They?

Thanks Dark Knight!! My hubs thinks I'm nutso and overprotective because wont let the kids swim in the town pool!! Im showing him this article! I have 2 toddlers, who would spend their time in the wading side, which apparently is just asking for some kind of parasite. ewww and ewww!

I can only imagine as our pool takes a lot of work. We returned from vacation to find that it had rained and my grand's little wading pool was filled with algae and tadpoles. I forgot to turn it over:crazy:

What I really wanted to say is that we have avoided waterparks for this reason. However when we were on vacation the pools and slides were saltwater so I felt better about that, and we saw how often they were attended to.

We had a problem with dirty pools last summer, mostly from mothers who took their diaper-clad toddlers to the pool and proceeded to change diapers right there!

Thank you DK. I'm going to show my Husband this article. Of course he's going to laugh me off! It's been an ongoing giggle between the two of us for almost as long as we've been married.

I won't swim in a public pool. I have always said that it was like taking a bath with 100 people in water that had been dirtied by a couple hundred before I even got in---then I will go into the graphics about not wanting water in my mouth or on my face that has been on someone's backside. LOL.

Personally, I've always been a bit skeeved out by public pools. One of my cousins actually got a really nasty stomach bug from swimming at a water park once.

I heard this the other day on the news. 1 and 5 people admit to peeing in a pool! First I couldn't believe it was that many people, and then I couldn't believe they admitted it!

http://www.livescience.com/health/090514-pool-hygiene.html

ETA - Oh, I like the advice they give: Don't swim when you have diarrhea! REALLY? THANKS for that little hint! sheesh!

I heard this the other day on the news. 1 and 5 people admit to peeing in a pool! First I couldn't believe it was that many people, and then I couldn't believe they admitted it!

http://www.livescience.com/health/090514-pool-hygiene.html

ETA - Oh, I like the advice they give: Don't swim when you have diarrhea! REALLY? THANKS for that little hint! sheesh!

Eww! I'm not sure I want to set foot in a public pool ever again. LOL.

Never really thought about where I was swimming. We used to always swim in lakes and rivers. Now that I have owned a pool for 10 years, I won't swim anywhere but my own back yard. The first time that I waded into a lake, freaked me out.

Thanks DK, always felt weird about swimming in public pools and now you have confirmed why I won't be going to the beautiful one they have at the
Y. It looks tempting when I go there, but I really don't like the heavy smell of chemicals now that I read the article.

Goz

We had a problem with dirty pools last summer, mostly from mothers who took their diaper-clad toddlers to the pool and proceeded to change diapers right there!

That works my last nerve. Just ewwwwwww.

I can't believe I'm even saying this but our city run pools are clean. At least the ones that I have been to. They intermittently blow the whistle and everyone has to get out and they do the samples and such. Knock on wood we never got sick in a city run pool here.

Those water slides now there's something I wouldn't let my kid go on. Those huge things like on the boardwalk. Every single year my brother took the kids and every year they'd get wicked sick. We all swam in the same ocean and hotel pool and that was fine. Water slide to me says germs.

Thank you DK for that article.

I hate public swimming pools....but even more public hot tubs!!!!!!!!! Was recently on vacation and actually saw a woman get into the hot tub for less than 60 seconds and then hop out. I swear she used it instead of walking to the restroom at the bar.

This was a high end resort so I was even more shocked. I don't think she realized I was watching her but as son as she got out....I just casually said "classy" loud enough for her to hear and she shot me a death stare.

So......I guess I was right.

My opinion on public hot tubs.....don't get in one. Yuck!!

Public swimming pools have earned a bad rep as unsanitary petri dishes of infectious diseases - but is this reputation unfounded or well deserved?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20100702/sc_livescience/publicswimmingpoolshowdirtyarethey

All I know is that three people very close me have had liver transplants and, per strict doctors orders, they are not allowed to go to public pools or water parks - their doctors say both types of places are petri dishes for all sorts of grossness.

That said - I never think about it. I figure if it doesn't kill me, my immune system will just get stronger!

I never really gave it a thought. If and when I go swimming it's in an adult swim session where everybody swims his/her lanes and no children allowed. Typically these are the first sessions of the day, so I hope the person in front of me doesn't.......

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back