Florida Innocence Commission

sleutherontheside

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
Hmmm ---- (thinking out loud) Could this be why Cindy and the defense wanted HHBP to preside rather than HHJS?

Hmmm ---- (thinking out loud) Could this be why Cindy and the defense wanted HHBP to preside rather than HHJS?

I really don't think so. HHBP has in fact imposed the sentence of death before.

I believe he is a member of the commission because of his excellent knowledge of case law (as evidenced during his rulings) and his experience presiding over DP cases. I am curious to know the names of those who have applied to be on this commission.

Agree, Sleutherontheside, but I wonder if Casey & Co felt he might be slanted toward them, given he is on this Innocence Commission. In reality, it will seal Casey's fate, as HHBP will be especially SURE everything is done by the book.

Would they have known for certain that HHJP would be taking over the case if/when HHJS recused himself?

Dunno Snaz- some have said no. But this does make me wonder if JB might not have heard buzz of this Commission. We know the defense has been looking for any and every excuse to get Casey off the hook. We also know Cindy and the defense seemed to be happy with HHBP. At least when he first took over the case.

Dunno Snaz- some have said no. But this does make me wonder if JB might not have heard buzz of this Commission. We know the defense has been looking for any and every excuse to get Casey off the hook. We also know Cindy and the defense seemed to be happy with HHBP. At least when he first took over the case.

Well, at least they APPEARED to be happy with HHBP. But I'm not sure they would have said anything different, regardless of how they felt. After all, they caused all the ruckus about HHJS, so they couldn't very well show their disappointment that they were then given a judge who has been known to sentence a convicted murderer to he DP... and he has done so with a woman...

Just a thought.

Here is some info relating to the Florida Innocence Commission.

http://floridainnocence.org/
THis site is operated by Innocence Project.

While this is an organization not affiliatied with the Commission......I thought it may be interesting to see how they operate and to learn more about their mission.

Additionally....here is an AP article that names members of the commission not listed in other links.
http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/07/02/1712281/new-fla-chief-justice-creates.html
snip
Canady appointed Chief Circuit Judge Belvin Perry Jr. of Orlando to chair the commission.

Thanks for the links, SS. The commission sounds like a very good thing all around. And given HHBP's role in the commission, his exemplary reputation, and involvement in this case, could only be a very good thing for justice for Caylee, IMO.

Thanks for the links, SS. The commission sounds like a very good thing all around. And given HHBP's role in the commission, his exemplary reputation, and involvement in this case, could only be a very good thing for justice for Caylee, IMO.

I think more than anything....that it is a good thing for anyone charged with a capital offense. HHBP is well versed in case law and he seems to give very thoughtful consideration to all arguments.

I think that KC is assured of her rights being protected with HHBP presiding over her case.

http://www.wctv.tv/home/headlines/Eyewitness_Testimony_Faulty_110294054.html

Eyewitness Testimony Faulty

The Florida Innocence Commission has been told more than 200 inmates in Florida prisons are incarcerated based upon faulty eyewitness testimony

Experts suggest there are at least 200 innocents behind bars because of faulty eyewitness identifications.

Experts also recommend police use detectives who are not involved in a case or who do not know who is a suspect when they are showing pictures to a witness. They also suggest showing the pictured one at a time rather than in a group.

Innocence Commission formed; Belvin Perry, Gary Siplin are members

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/os-belvin-perry-gary-siplin-innocence-commission,0,3399969.story

The new chief justice of the Florida Supreme Court today formally created an Innocence Commission, a panel of judges, lawyers and others, to study why Florida courts have wrongly convicted at least a dozen people only to see them exonerated years later and released from prison.

Regrets to HHJP, but I already disagree with the nominal choice....'cause to me, there is no "innocence" in law, only findings of guilty and not guilty.
Innocence in character may come into play as a form of mitigation, but not necessarily in terms of establishing whether or not someone committed a crime.

Mother Teresa was mostly innocent.
Babies are innocent.
Caylee was innocent.
Just Jayla is innocent (maybe not always characteristically :angel:) of any crime involving Caylee Anthony, because I did not know her.
KC Anthony is no innocent, and the fact that she is not may or may not have anything to do with whether she intentionally killed her daughter. To me, she cannot be innocent, nor can anyone in that family, as they are not ignorant as to the life of Caylee. But there are the guilty and the not-guilty in the Anthony clan.

Hate to be a lingual stickler, but every once in a while I get aggitated with
the accepted changes in our language, call me traditional, and yes I know what the dictionary says-Just does not ring correctly in my ear.

Of course, to call it the Florida Non-Guilt Commission sounds stupid. So maybe I'll let this one fly....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back