1230 users online (241 members and 989 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    western PA, USA
    Posts
    903

    PA - Breezewood, Male Skeletal 541UMPA, 35-43, off I-70, Oct'91

    Doe Network and NamUs recently added this case of a man's skeletal remains found October 7, 1991 in Breezewood, PA. He was thought to have died two years prior.

    http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/541umpa.html
    ** WARNING: Post-mortem (skull only) photos at site below:**
    https://identifyus.org/cases/7325

    The UID's facial features, especially his prominent cheekbones and strong chin, reminded me of Phillip Eugene Andrews, missing since February 2, 1988 from Marianna, Florida:

    http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/...s_phillip.html

    The UID was 5'2"-5'5" - Andrews is 5'7"
    UID was 35-43 years old - Andrews was 25
    The UID was found with prescription eyeglasses, there is no mention of Andrews wearing them.
    The UID had coins as recent as 1988, Andrews disappeared just a little over a month into 1988, so could he have already had that year's newly-minted coins in his possession? Or did he travel awhile, acquiring the coins in his change and whatnot, before arriving in Breezewood?
    The UID appears to have a bit more space between his nose and mouth than Andrews.

    Breezewood is "truckstop and motel central" on I-70 so IMHO the UID could be from virtually everywhere. I sent this potential match in to Jackson County, Florida's Sheriff's Office and received a reply that it had been forwarded to the investigating officers.

    I'm not that confident about the age difference and I'm not sure where the forensic artist got the hairstyle since there's no mention of the UID's hair color, but it oddly enough looks similar to Andrews'.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chicago burbs
    Posts
    74,839
    I will never understand the purpose of adding a photo of a skull on NamUs. It's not likely someone is going to say, "Oh yes, I recognize that skull". Not going to happen. And with so many post mortem loss of teeth it would be difficult for the average untrained person to make identification by the teeth..... ay yi yi.

    JMO
    ~JMO~

    A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown


    Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

    You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chicago burbs
    Posts
    74,839
    I think the possible match to Andrew was worth the call in but probably a rule out based on the 'flat face/mongoloid' description used for the John Doe. It won't hurt to know for sure.
    ~JMO~

    A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown


    Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

    You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    El Segundo, California
    Posts
    7,856
    A few random thoughts:

    Andrews doesn't appear to be of mixed ancestry. They say "may be of mixed ancestry", so I wouldn't rule-out on that basis.

    The facial shape is a pretty good match. The height difference is close to being borderline out of range, but since it is skeletal, it is still probably within range.

    Andrews does appear to have the marks on the sides of his nose to indicate that he might wear glasses.

    Some of the smaller space between nose and mouth might just be in the way that Andrews is smiling in the photo (i.e., with a high lower lip).

    Hairstyles are pretty close, and in response to your question, there were probably tufts of hair remaining at the scene to indicate the color, and texture, and probably length of his hair.

    There isn't much info in his disappearance, and therefore, no reason to say he didn't leave Florida.

    I was looking for possibles for this guy last night and didn't come across anyone that jumped out at me, but all in all, Andrews is probably worth a look.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    El Segundo, California
    Posts
    7,856
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubby View Post
    I will never understand the purpose of adding a photo of a skull on NamUs. It's not likely someone is going to say, "Oh yes, I recognize that skull". Not going to happen. And with so many post mortem loss of teeth it would be difficult for the average untrained person to make identification by the teeth..... ay yi yi.

    JMO
    Actually a skull is useful if you can do overlays. With this comparison though, you can't because Andrews photo isn't straight-on.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Southwestern PA
    Posts
    1,317
    Quote Originally Posted by tatertot View Post
    Doe Network and NamUs recently added this case of a man's skeletal remains found October 7, 1991 in Breezewood, PA. He was thought to have died two years prior.

    http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/541umpa.html
    ** WARNING: Post-mortem (skull only) photos at site below:**
    https://identifyus.org/cases/7325

    The UID's facial features, especially his prominent cheekbones and strong chin, reminded me of Phillip Eugene Andrews, missing since February 2, 1988 from Marianna, Florida:

    http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/...s_phillip.html

    The UID was 5'2"-5'5" - Andrews is 5'7"
    UID was 35-43 years old - Andrews was 25
    The UID was found with prescription eyeglasses, there is no mention of Andrews wearing them.
    The UID had coins as recent as 1988, Andrews disappeared just a little over a month into 1988, so could he have already had that year's newly-minted coins in his possession? Or did he travel awhile, acquiring the coins in his change and whatnot, before arriving in Breezewood?
    The UID appears to have a bit more space between his nose and mouth than Andrews.

    Breezewood is "truckstop and motel central" on I-70 so IMHO the UID could be from virtually everywhere. I sent this potential match in to Jackson County, Florida's Sheriff's Office and received a reply that it had been forwarded to the investigating officers.
    I'm not that confident about the age difference and I'm not sure where the forensic artist got the hairstyle since there's no mention of the UID's hair color, but it oddly enough looks similar to Andrews'.
    I live about an hour away from Breezewood and it's sure is "truckstop and motel central" It is along the PA turnpike which is I-70/I-76

    Breezewood is located in southern central PA, not far from the Maryland Boarder. This guy could be from anywhere.

  7. #7
    I graduated from high school in Bedford, been to / through Breezewood plenty of times.

    It's a truckers paradise for sure.

    This leads me to speculate the UID could have been a hitchhiker. Just speculation.

    Also, the reconstruction image: UID looks more Greek- Italian than Hispanic..

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    59

    Possible Match-William Fredrick Woolheater

    William Fredrick Woolheater's Charley Project File was recently updated.
    http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/...r_william.html

    When I opened it --it reminded me of this IUD.

    The height is way off but I have been reading about how height estimates are made on skeletons and apparently in order to determine height accurately the leg bones-femur, tibia and fibula and the arm bones- humerus, ulna and radius are measured and entered into to a software program and a height range is generated.


    William was 22 in 1981 when he was last seem boarding a bus from New York to New Orleans. In 1991, he would have been 32 which is a little younger than UID's range of 35-43. William was bipolar and was taking medication for his condition.

    The UID's NamUs file indicates that not all limbs were recovered, therefore, I am posting this potential match for comments.

    https://identifyus.org/cases/7325
    Attached Images Attached Images

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Northeast USA
    Posts
    3,538
    I was looking for possible matches and I found this guy Stephen Meeks, missing from NC at Thanksgiving time 1988. He is listed as being between 5'5" and 5'8" so his lower range is on the high side of the UID. when I saw his face I did a double take. nothing about glasses though.

    https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/2426/2/

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    western PA, USA
    Posts
    903
    The UID's clothing (light blue button-down shirt, dark blue pants, watch and low-quarter leather work shoes) might mean he was some type of repairman or he worked at a distribution center -- that combo, down to the colors, is classic work wear. I wish there were photos of the actual clothing, as someone might even recognize it as a specific type of work uniform.

    His possessions were utilitarian as well, like he was carrying just what he needed on an everyday basis and nothing else: his keys, a wallet, coin purse, mini flashlight, nail clipper and his eyeglass case. None of those things appear to be specific for his job, which makes me think he had a toolbox, a clipboard, and other work gear that weren't dumped with his body.
    <-- Watched one too many Hanna-Barbera "teenage detective" cartoons as a kid.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    3,931
    Quote Originally Posted by tatertot View Post
    The UID's clothing (light blue button-down shirt, dark blue pants, watch and low-quarter leather work shoes) might mean he was some type of repairman or he worked at a distribution center -- that combo, down to the colors, is classic work wear. I wish there were photos of the actual clothing, as someone might even recognize it as a specific type of work uniform.

    His possessions were utilitarian as well, like he was carrying just what he needed on an everyday basis and nothing else: his keys, a wallet, coin purse, mini flashlight, nail clipper and his eyeglass case. None of those things appear to be specific for his job, which makes me think he had a toolbox, a clipboard, and other work gear that weren't dumped with his body.
    What about Fransisco Rivera?

    http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/206dmny.html

    He is Hispanic.
    He was 5'6" and 52 years of age....slightly out of the high ends for height and age, but not unreasonably so.

    Clothing: Last seen wearing a blue work shirt with "Frank" and "Vinyl Masters" written on the front, blue work pants and black shoes.
    AKA: Frank Rivera
    Circumstances of Disappearance
    Rivera worked third shift at Vinyl Masters Factory on Bayshore Road in Deer Park, New York in 1988. He disappeared at approximately 04:00 on March 27, 1988; Rivera's shift did not end until 07:00 that morning.
    Rivera's residence was in Manhattan at the time of his disappearance. He never arrived at his home after vanishing from work.


  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    714
    Far away to ditch a body, but the outfit and timeline are pretty compelling at the resemblance is right there! I say good call!
    I can't complain but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far. - Joe Walsh

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    western PA, USA
    Posts
    903
    I think that's a pretty good potential match! The MP was last seen in late March, which might account for the sweater and insulated jacket if the factory got cold in the winter. A third-shift worker might well carry a mini flashlight like the UID had. And considering the sweater was badly deteriorated, maybe the portion of the work shirt with the name and company had disintegrated -- chances are the text was a small monogram if it was on the front of the shirt, as opposed to a large logo across the back. There's no mention of Rivera wearing eyeglasses.

    The distance is considerable, and there's the oddity of having to travel through New York City to reach Breezewood, but the MP may have voluntarily left work and traveled to where he met with foul play, instead of meeting with foul play close to where he worked.

    On the two previous potential matches, both Meeks' and Woolheater's DNA status is "sample submitted -- tests complete," so would those be CODIS ruleouts if the UID has mtDNA available?

    Woolheater - https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/5544/0/
    Meeks - https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/2426/0/
    <-- Watched one too many Hanna-Barbera "teenage detective" cartoons as a kid.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    435
    William Farris Goodmon


    LKA: June 27, 1988
    Age: 56
    Last seen in Polk City, FL
    Red/white checkered button down shirt, navy blue work pants, light brown western style boots

    -He has high cheekbones
    -Disappeared on his way to work
    -Possibly suicidal

    Location is an issue on this one, so I'm on the fence.


    Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Northeast USA
    Posts
    3,538
    Quote Originally Posted by tatertot View Post
    On the two previous potential matches, both Meeks' and Woolheater's DNA status is "sample submitted -- tests complete," so would those be CODIS ruleouts if the UID has mtDNA available?

    Woolheater - https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/5544/0/
    Meeks - https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/2426/0/
    unfortunately I do not think there is any standard meaning to "sample submitted -- tests complete" in terms of 1. what DNA was collected and 2. who has the results.

    sometimes if we ask, I've seen the curt "of course it's in CODIS", not specifying the types and other times we find out only one type is done and the results are not uploaded to CODIS.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. MS MS - Gulfport, Male Skeletal, 35-55, in woods, Dec'11
    By Wanting2Help in forum The Unidentified
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-30-2017, 03:14 PM
  2. Identified! TX - Sweetwater, Male Skeletal, on I-20 median, Jul'12 - Gabriel Salinas
    By KeepThemOnTheRadar in forum Identified!
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-11-2017, 09:09 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-26-2016, 02:41 PM
  4. FL FL - Sanford, Male Skeletal, off Summerlin Ave, Nov'13
    By summer_breeze in forum The Unidentified
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-09-2013, 10:28 AM
  5. TN TN - Chattanooga, Male Skeletal, w/ .410 Derringer, Oct'07
    By chicoliving in forum The Unidentified
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-05-2011, 11:34 PM

Tags for this Thread