NY Man Blows Off Arm with Party Fireworks

When I worked at the hospital the week before and after the fourth of July saw A LOT of stupid injuries.

Can they really re attach his arm? That would be awesome.

Its ashame to hear about these accidents every year.

Yeah, you would think these guys would stop and think.....
When I saw the fireworks going off tonight, I told my daughter, "just think, the man igniting those rockets is the happiest man in the world, that is better than sex to him"

I hope they can re attach that arm, and God Bless him.

I just wish people would go to the local fireworks shows in every city and town and let the professionals handle this...happens every year. At first I was annoyed to hear that the city I live was spending $50K on a show tonight, but maybe the cost of dealing with the kooks who insist on doing it themselves is even higher...

Once upon a time I was behind the scenes where they were shooting off the county fireworks, those guys were so drunk I am surprised someone didn't get hurt. It was very scary.

My friends and I are among the stupid people when it comes to fireworks. I learned my lesson on Saturday...I'll never shoot off a bottle rocket while holding it in my hand again. I only got a little singed, but even before reading about this incident, I decided that I'll respect explosives a lot more. Actually, I think I'll avoid bottle rockets all together. Now I just need to send this to my boyfriend, and see if I can talk him out of buying mortars next year.

This happens every year and it doesn't surprise me. People are stupid when it comes to fireworks.

On Friday I walked in on a school teacher telling her students, "Be careful. Fireworks will blow off your arms, your legs, your hands and your EYES!!!" Wow. I thought that was some overkill. No pun intended.

Hi, they're explosives. Don't treat them like they're harmless.

a 3-foot long metal tube to shoot mortars - from the link. IF that don't spell trouble, I don't know what will.

I was 9 or 10 yrs old when I held one of those tiny pencil thin 2" fire works to a gas stove when the fuse didn't set it off.

Well, it blew up in my hand... and I was lucky. My thumb and pointer finger hurt like hell for a bit, but that was all.... other than popping so loud I jumped back.

It could have been much worse....

I was a kid, and I knew that little tiny fire work was small.
What kind of adult would attempt this with a 3 foot long tube!

Candidate for the Darwin Award Honorable Mention?

Seriously, I do hope his arm can be reattached and I hope he has very good insurance to cover the expense.

Candidate for the Darwin Award Honorable Mention?

Seriously, I do hope his arm can be reattached and I hope he has very good insurance to cover the expense.

I do too, but it wouldn't have been a bad thing for hm to chlorinate the gene pool.

This article suggests that his arm is not going to be reattached.

Smith's friends wrapped the arm in ice and took him to the emergency room at Southside Hospital, and he was transferred to the intensive care unit of Nassau County Medical Center, where he is listed in critical, but stable condition, according to a hospital spokeswoman.
While she wouldn't comment on the status of Smith's arm, spokeswoman Shelley Lotenburg said the hospital does not perform limb reattachments.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/07/04/new.york.fireworks.arm.loss/index.html

Well I don't want to go out on a limb here but I'd think it's pretty obvious that if it hasn't been done yet it will never be done. JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kac313
Back