Thread: CO - Rick Steele - 48 years old - Montrose - 1 July 2010

CO - Rick Steele - 48 years old - Montrose - 1 July 2010

http://coloradoradio.com/?p=9203

Rick Steele
    Posted by Janine Mayfield on July 3rd, 2010

The 103.7 The Blast morning show DJ is still nowhere to be found. The last time he was spotted was Thursday evening around 7:00pm by a friend who saw him pulling out of his driveway in his white Ford Ranger pickup truck. Steele was apparently supposed to meet a friend that evening and never showed. Early Friday morning (July 2) he neglected to show up to do his live morning show, which is out of character for the 48-year-old.

A personal investigation by co-workers led to the location of his truck off of Highway 50 and Miguel Road, east of Montrose. The Montrose County Sheriff’s Office immediately responded to the scene where one of Steele’s dogs was found alive and well. One other dog was missing, along with Steele himself. The vehicle was unlocked. A short time, and several miles later, Steele’s other dog was found wandering the dirt road, healthy.

Soon after, the Montrose County Sheriff’s Posse was called in to assist with the search on land and water (as the South Canal runs through the area). A scent dog was brought in from Mesa County and had a few small hits, but nothing turned up in those areas. Today a K9 Water team from Dolores assisted in the search, coming up empty handed. ATV’s were used by the Posse to search both sides of the canal, and a boat was dropped into the water (heavily assisted) but those searches also yielded no sign of the fun-loving DJ.

Investigators and Posse members believe Steele somehow wound up in the high, swiftly moving canal waters either as the result of a fall or in trying to rescue a dog that fell in. All calls to Steele since Friday morning have gone immediately to voicemail. No personal items of Steele’s were found and there is no indication of foul play.

The Sheriff’s Office and Posse will continue to monitor the dirt road that follows the canal 15 miles before it dumps in the Uncompaghre River until further notice. The yellow crime scene tape was removed this afternoon as the private searches determined there are no more leads to follow at this time. While the Sheriff’s Office cannot prevent people from entering the public lands in this area, they do strongly advise that if looking for Steele or simply enjoying the area, recreationally, to be safe around the rushing waters – that supply irrigation water to the Valley – and be respectful of the private property in the area. Those property owners were kind enough to allow their gates open during the Sheriff’s Office searches, and appreciate the common courtesy of staying off their property otherwise.

Steele has no immediate family in the area but they have been notified. His on-air spot will be temporarily replaced by a co-worker and his dogs have gone to good homes. Stay tuned to our website and on-air newscasts for further updates.

The station would like to thank ALL those involved in the search of Rick Steele and getting the word out about his disappearance. By all means, if you think you have seen him or have any information that would lead to his location, call the Montrose County Sheriff’s Office Dispatch at 970-252-4020.
    (Posted by Janine Mayfield 6:59p)
    Last edited by summer_breeze; 07-19-2010 at 07:31 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to summer_breeze For This Useful Post:

Montrose radio personality Rick Steele has been reported missing

http://www.montrosepress.com/article...3173897712.txt

Staff Report
    Published/Last Modified on Saturday, July 3, 2010 3:18 PM MDT

MONTROSE ��”� Montrose radio personality Rick Steele has been reported missing. Steele was last seen Thursday evening while heading out to the South Canal Road. Steele was with his two dogs, which were both located and found to be in good condition. The Montrose County Sheriff's department, along with the Montrose County Sheriff's Posse, began searching for Steele Friday afternoon and as of Saturday afternoon have not located him.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to summer_breeze For This Useful Post:

fhc, Kat

UPDATE: Search for missing DJ continues

http://www.nbc11news.com/home/headlines/97778169.html

Updated: 8:04 PM Jul 4, 2010
    The search for a missing radio DJ is in its 3rd day.
    Posted: 7:19 PM Jul 4, 2010
    Reporter: Lizz Marrs
    Email Address: lizz.marrs@nbc11news.com

MONTROSE, Colo. (KKCO)- The search for a missing radio DJ is in its 3rd day.

48 year–old Rick Steele hasn't been seen since Thursday and was reported missing Friday by co–workers.

The Montrose County Sheriff's Office is searching the entire area near south canal where Steele's truck and two dogs were found on Friday.

They say as more and more time goes by the more worried they are about finding the radio personality alive.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to summer_breeze For This Useful Post:

fhc, Kat

Rick

I live in Montrose and know Rick. To see his name on here is absolutely strange! I never thought someone I knew would be on Websleuths. Summer Breeze, how did you know to post this? Are you someone I know?
    I dearly hope that we find Rick soon.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to westerncolorado For This Useful Post:

I know westerncolorado, I lived in Montrose for quite sometime I remember him on the radio, never met him personally, but my husband and I are both saddened to be watching this unfold .... We are concerned he fell in the water and may have drown seems to be the only logical explanation.

I do not know if LE has checked where the south canal empties out back into the Umcompaghre River, but unfortunatley there has been a few people found there. We owned the home on the river there right where it empties back in, it was the first place my husband suggested to look....
    What lies behind you and what lies in front of you pales in comparison to what lies inside of you....
    Ralph Waldo Emerson ~

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mysticrose For This Useful Post:

Formal searches called off for missing DJ

Authorities say all formal searches ended on Tuesday night for a radio DJ who has been missing for nearly a week.

The Montrose County Sheriff's Office will continue to patrol canal roads, but the Colorado National Guard has stopped its search for 48-year-old Rick Steele.

http://www.9news.com/news/article.as...2672&catid=339

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RubyRed For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by westerncolorado View Post
    I live in Montrose and know Rick. To see his name on here is absolutely strange! I never thought someone I knew would be on Websleuths. Summer Breeze, how did you know to post this? Are you someone I know?
    I dearly hope that we find Rick soon.
    Hi there westerncolorado.

No, we do not know each other and we have not met, I am sure. I'm on the other coast. Credit google alerts for bringing the story to my attention.

My prayers for Rick, his friends and family.

~Summer_Breeze

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to summer_breeze For This Useful Post:

No clues in search for DJ; friends remain hopeful

http://www.montrosepress.com/article...b405787024.txt

Staff Report
    Published/Last Modified on Friday, July 9, 2010 4:11 AM MDT

MONTROSE ��” Despite the efforts of law enforcement, dozens of locals, out-of-towners and the Colorado National Guard, zero leads have surfaced in the case of DJ Rick Steele, who has been missing since last Friday.

But Montrose County sheriff’s deputies and posse members continued to scour the area Wednesday, affixing a “net” of posts into the South Canal in case Steele fell into the turbulent waters there.

The Sheriff’s Office and posse still are actively searching for Steele, monitoring the canal and nearby roads, said Kristin Scuderi, county spokeswoman. She earlier said the “formal searches” had ended, but Thursday Scuderi said she meant the search had been scaled back.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to summer_breeze For This Useful Post:

Gate installed in hopes of catching clue into man's disappearance

http://www.nbc11news.com/home/headlines/98175889.html

Updated: 9:11 PM Jul 10, 2010
    Posted: 6:14 PM Jul 10, 2010
    Reporter: Lizz Marrs
    Email Address: lizz.marrs@nbc11news.com

<snipped>

Montrose County has borrowed a gate system and installed it on Thursday at the Uncompahgre Road section of South Canal.

They hope it will catch some clues into the whereabouts of Steele.

Could someone offer some information here: what is a "gate system" and how would it help catch clues?

tia!
    "Don't forget the kangaroo!"

19. The Following User Says Thank You to hoppyfrog For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hoppyfrog View Post
    Could someone offer some information here: what is a "gate system" and how would it help catch clues?

tia!

Hi Hoppy.

I'm thinking that a "gate system" is akin to the device that is described in the below link.

http://www.fs.fed.us/fire/sdtdc/02511306/02511306.html

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to summer_breeze For This Useful Post:

I hope beyond anything he will turn up. I know it sounds morbid, but I have a friend who id dear friends with him and it is killing him and Rick's family and friends. So sad. Just to let you all know, the general feeling is that there is nothing hinky about it, just a tragic accident.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to westerncolorado For This Useful Post:

Still nothing and it is so hard on everyone!

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to westerncolorado For This Useful Post:

Vigil planned for missing radio personality

http://www.nbc11news.com/news/headli...9.html?ref=639

Posted: 4:51 PM Jul 16, 2010
    Reporter: KKCO
    Email Address: tips@Nbc11news.com

MONTROSE COUNTY, Colo. (KKCO)_A vigil has been planned for a popular Montrose DJ who has been missing for two weeks.

Friends and family of Rick Steele say they haven't given up on finding him but wanted to organize a different kind of event to bring people together for him. The vigil will take place Sunday night at 8:00 pm near the area where his truck was found.

Body Found in Montrose Canal

http://www.kjct8.com/news/24295952/detail.html

Identity Not Yet Determined
    Tami Brehse tbrehse@kjct8.com
    POSTED: 1:46 pm MDT July 17, 2010
    UPDATED: 1:56 pm MDT July 17, 2010

MONTROSE, Colo. -- Saturday morning a Montrose County Sheriff's Deputy found a body in the South Canal near Uncompahgre Road.

The body has been identified as male and the coroner's office is working to determine the identity.

The Sheriff's Office says the circumstances surrounding the body are consistent with the case of missing DJ Rick Steele. Steele went missing on July 1. His truck and two dogs were found near the South Canal shortly after.

The Sheriff's Office says as part of its search for Steele, crews placed a grate retrieving device at Uncompahgre Road where the canal slows down. That's where the body was found.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to summer_breeze For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by summer_breeze View Post
    http://www.kjct8.com/news/24295952/detail.html

Identity Not Yet Determined
    Tami Brehse tbrehse@kjct8.com
    POSTED: 1:46 pm MDT July 17, 2010
    UPDATED: 1:56 pm MDT July 17, 2010
    Well I am sure it is him, this is so sad

My husband was right about Uncompaghre Rd, and the canal I wonder if it is there by our old house.....

If it is Rick at least his family and friends can have some sort of closure now, it is never easy but at least they can rest now, I am so sorry for the loss....
    What lies behind you and what lies in front of you pales in comparison to what lies inside of you....
    Ralph Waldo Emerson ~

30. The Following User Says Thank You to mysticrose For This Useful Post:

Outpouring of sorrow, fond memories follow discovery of body in South Canal

http://www.montrosepress.com/article...3981034535.txt

By Matt Lindberg
    Daily Press Writer
    Published/Last Modified on Sunday, July 18, 2010 4:10 AM MDT

MONTROSE ��” Family and friends of popular Montrose DJ Rick Steele expressed their devastation Saturday after a body believed to be his was recovered from the South Canal.

Saturday’s news of Steele’s apparent passing was especially tough for his family.
    <snipped>

Janine Mayfield, Steele’s close friend and co-worker at KBNG 103.7 The Blast, said though the body’s identity won’t be confirmed until Monday, everyone is assuming it was Steele.

Montrose County Coroner identifies body found Saturday as that of missing DJ

http://www.nbc11news.com/regionalnew.../98770174.html

Posted: 1:40 PM Jul 19, 2010
    Reporter: KKCO
    Email Address: tips@nbc11news.com

MONTROSE, Colo. (KKCO) - Montrose County Coroner's Office officials have identified the body found Saturday in South Canal as that of missing DJ Rick Steele.

According to a release, 48-year-old Steele drowned and his death has been ruled as accidental.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Rest in Peace Rick.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to summer_breeze For This Useful Post:

How very sad. Prayers for his family, loved ones and friends. Rest In Peace Rick.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kat For This Useful Post: