744 users online (95 members and 649 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

PA - Registered Sex Offender Caught With 12 Year Old Boy In Philly

Someone in the Frankford section of Philly may have saved a 12 year old boy from something awful. I hope they got to this guy quick enough.

At about 9:30PM police responded to a suspicious vehicle call. That in itself is a miracle because there's not alot of calling to the cops there unless bullets are flying. They found 44 year old Robert Alvarez who is a Registered Sex Offender with a 12 year old boy.

Alvarez explained to cops he's a "friend of the family" who was taking the boy for fireworks and to McDonald's.

http://cbs3.com/topstories/Robert.Al...2.1787991.html

I hope this young man is alright. Poor kid.

Oh this creep is out of New York. He was in a van. Several neighbors called police because of the van and it's New York plates. You go neighbors of Rutland street. Alvarez is being charged with false imprisonment, and sexual assault.

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/...Frankford.html
    Last edited by Filly; 07-05-2010 at 02:25 AM.

I wonder where did he get the boy?

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?se...ime&id=7536387

"When I was walking by, I saw the kid in the van, and then he closed up the van, and said get inside, and that's when I realized something was wrong," Luis Colon told Action News.

"The cops came, they drug the guy out of the van," said Vanessa Gonzalez. "The little boy came out, he was shaking, he was terrified."

This case is a prime example of why people should get involved. I shudder to think how worse it could have been had he not been stopped.

Kudos to the neighbors!
    Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don't say it mean.
    We are all just trying to make sense of an unimaginable crime.

I am searching everywhere for updates. I have so many questions!!

How did he get this boy? How is this poor child?

From these articles it looks like he just picked the boy off the street. Someone overheard him telling the boy to get in, but I'm unclear whether he had a weapon. And it does sound like he was able to assault the boy inside the van before he got caught. People nearby called police THREE times before LE responded!

Quote Originally Posted by reen View Post
    From these articles it looks like he just picked the boy off the street. Someone overheard him telling the boy to get in, but I'm unclear whether he had a weapon. And it does sound like he was able to assault the boy inside the van before he got caught. People nearby called police THREE times before LE responded!
    That does not mean he just got the boy off the streets. The first article states he told the victim's family he was taking the boy to McDonalds, so it sounds like he knew the family and they actually permitted him to take the child with him, if that article is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by jjenny View Post
    That does not mean he just got the boy off the streets. The first article states he told the victim's family he was taking the boy to McDonalds, so it sounds like he knew the family and they actually permitted him to take the child with him, if that article is correct.
    Oh, so then the boy might be part of the family this creep was staying with in PA...Gah, can you imagine how they must feel now?? I wonder if they knew about his prior offense(s)?

http://www.criminaljustice.state.ny....ffenderid=8957

his SO profile states that his previous victims were an 8 and 10 year old boy. He was convicted in 1994.

Relationship to victim:
    Non-Stranger - Person established relationship for purposes of victimization (grooming)

I found this jjenny.

Police say Alvarez, who described himself as a "family friend" told the victim's parents that he was taking the boy out to "buy fireworks and go to McDonalds."
    from http://cbs3.com/topstories/Robert.Al...2.1787991.html

It looks like it was Alvarez who described himself as a family friend.

I'm as curious as the rest. I wonder where the boy came from. I wish they would update.

http://cbs3.com/local/Robert.Alvarez...2.1787991.html

Alvarez has been charged with Attempted Rape, Indecent Sexual Assault, Contact with a Minor, Unlawful Restraint, False Imprisonment, Attempted Aggravated Indecent Assault, Simple Assault, Indecent Assault, Indecent Exposure, Corruption of a Minor and Recklessly Endangering another person

Quote Originally Posted by Lovejac View Post
    I found this jjenny.

from http://cbs3.com/topstories/Robert.Al...2.1787991.html

It looks like it was Alvarez who described himself as a family friend.

I'm as curious as the rest. I wonder where the boy came from. I wish they would update.
    It's the police who say he told the boy's family that he was taking the boy to buy fireworks and then go to McDonalds. So it certainly sounds to me like he befriended the family to the extent they allowed the boy to go with him.

It's the police who say he told the boy's family that he was taking the boy to buy fireworks and then go to McDonalds. So it certainly sounds to me like he befriended the family to the extent they allowed the boy to go with him.
    that seems to be the case. Imagine how they are feeling now.

I looked him up on the RSO and saw his other 2 victims were boys aged 8 and 10. It stated he befriended and "groomed" them as opposed to stranger abduction.

I hope that boy is getting some intensive therapy.

I know this is an awful time to bring this up but check with your local Children's Advocacy Center and see if their funding has been cut. So many victims' services are being slashed state by state. I, too, celebrate the fact that caring strangers saved this boy from further abuse. Let's not assume that he is getting intensive therapy though. We can wish for that but it is rarely the case. Even federally and state mandated services are being overlooked at the present.

Victims require services but those services cost taxpayers money. Sadly, they are frequently some of the first services cut. Check into it, I implore you. If they've been cut, fire off some emails and ask your legislators what is going on. Use this case as an example. If your state has a crime victims advocacy group, call and ask what you might be able to do to help.

If you live in Oregon that would be:

http://www.crimevictimsunited.org/#about

Most states have their own chapter or version of this organization. I found this link for Pennsylvania:

http://www.pcvainfo.org/programs.asp

He was caught "in the act". There's a picture of the pervert at this link:

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20...n_boy__12.html

Ick. I wonder if the abrasion on his cheek is from the boy fighting back, or if it is from the police during the arrest. Either way, good. Unfortunately its not enough. It just goes to show that you never know what you will see when you stop to observe something that seems "off". Good for these neighbors for forgetting about their own lives for a few minutes to stop and notice something. Probably saved this boys life.

RIP McStays

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast