649 users online (77 members and 572 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

FL - Cat killings caught on tape in South Florida

http://cbs4.com/local/psychology.chi...2.1785757.html

Animal Abuse By Kids May Be Bad Omen

"A South Miami Heights woman believes young children killed five of the stray cats that she cared for. The woman doesn't want to be identified. But she said she caught the kids on tape after she installed surveillance cameras outside of her home...."

and

"..."These kids tend to be really impulsive and since they don't really care about others feelings, they get some excitement out of it, sometimes a sensation seeking behavior, where its the actual thrill out of engaging in the animal cruelty or torture," said [Dr. Jason] Jent.

Research has tied serial killers to early acts of animal cruelty. Jeffrey Dahmer is said to have impaled frogs and dogs heads on sticks. BTK killer Dennis Rader is said to have strangled cats and dogs early on...."

more at link

This article seems incomplete. Were the children located? How is this crime being handled? Is LE even involved? I could find no other info. And as to the title of this article, "MAY BE BAD OMEN"????????? I think we all know that's the understatement of the year.

It's almost unbearable for me to read articles like this.

I do have a few questions, including since she apparently caught these kids on videotape, if these kids can be identified and anything is going to be done about it?
    Rest in Peace
    Joey, Summer, Gianni & Joseph Mateo

This is scary.
    When I was a kid, our summertime fun was making popsicles with Kool-Aid, riding our bikes around the neighborhood, going to summer recreation, running through the sprinklers on the lawn....I can't fathom a group of children killing cats for sport. It's horrifying.

Quote Originally Posted by Columbo View Post
    This is scary.
    When I was a kid, our summertime fun was making popsicles with Kool-Aid, riding our bikes around the neighborhood, going to summer recreation, running through the sprinklers on the lawn....I can't fathom a group of children killing cats for sport. It's horrifying.
    What I can't imagine is if and when they're caught they'll probably get a slap on the wrist, sent home and maybe ordered to get "counseling".
    Rest in Peace

Columbo--My experience was the same as yours. We are the fortunate ones. If we found a kitten, we took it home to Mom and begged to keep it. However, if you think back, I'm almost certain that you will remember some other teen or young person that seemed a little "off"--someone who you stayed away from. I've always wondered about those from my past who fit that description. Nothing obvious, but something odd or off.

There's another sleuther here on WS who knew our children's rapist. That person was well aware of the animal abuse and torture going on next door. We both believe that it's likely that they were themselves were being groomed. How sad that it so often starts with our precious animals.

I know this doesn't sound logical but I have to believe that there's a special spot in heaven for animals that die at the hands of abusers.

there was a big case in the area not that long ago with a cat killer

Quote Originally Posted by wanttohelp View Post
    there was a big case in the area not that long ago with a cat killer
    Yes. Tyler Weinman, mentioned in the article in the OP, is awaiting trial on charges of killing 19-20 cats.
    Rest in Peace

I'm just guessing here as the news reports are sketchy but I would imagine that the reason the lady went to the trouble to set up cameras is that she suspected Tyler might be responsible. Imagine the horror of seeing this on film. Being that our children's rapist killed and maimed pets and other animals, I can say from experience that the injuries of this type of crime are unmistakable. I hope LE is all over this as these children will escalate in their cruelty.

Its very hard to consider that young children would torture pets. I know when I was growing up, to find an injured animal was to take it home and minister to it. These children must come from families that never show compassion to helpless things. Although I do know that my brother would shoot frogs with a bow and arrow and I would run and cry to my daddy. I don't think many people consider themselves as stewards to the animal life of this planet.

When I started raising chickens, I would get very attached to them, they were our pets.
    And I remember that a dog broke into the chicken pen and killed them all one night. Dead chickens everywhere, I cried and cried. And someone I knew thought it was funny , afterall she said, they are just chickens. Chickens have feelings too.
    narrow, limited thinker, but I'm trying to grow

PGranny--You have empathy and love in your heart. That's what makes the difference. A child who is unattached, unloved, neglected and abused by his/her family often turns to hurting creatures and humans smaller and more vulnerable than themselves in an attempt to gain some sense of power in their life. If this is not stopped immediately, that person will often move on to harm others forever.

I happen to be vegetarian and am a life long animal lover. I certainly realize, though, that animals can be humanely killed for food. After all, I choose when my dear pets last days will be. My mother told me that the only "whipping" she'd ever gotten as a child was when she and her sister laughed as a hog was being butchered. Their father would not tolerate the disrespect of the animal. After all, that hog was going to feed the family.

I remember being surprised that a young adult novel had been written along the same story line, "A Day No Pigs Would Die". That leads me to believe that this lesson is very often taught on the farm. It's a lesson that all children must be taught, wherever they grow up.