1516 users online (256 members and 1260 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Post Manson family member Van Houten denied parole

By Mark Morgenstein, CNN
    July 6, 2010 8:34 p.m. EDT
    (CNN) -- Charles Manson family acolyte Leslie Van Houten has been denied parole for the 19th time, California authorities announced Tuesday.
    Before the ruling, lawyer Brandie Devall said she was "excited" about the appearance because she can bolster her argument with rulings in two cases from the California Supreme Court since Van Houten's last parole hearing in 2007. Each case was recently upheld by federal courts. more at link: http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/07/06/...parole/?hpt=T1
    This is the year to locate Mark Dribin http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ht=Mark+Dribin NamUs MP#876 and Ilene Misheloff http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...lene+Misheloff NamUs MP#6410 and bring them home to their families!

Parents watch your children. Free-range parenting leads to more child victims.

Cruelty to humans begins with cruelty to animals.

I believe in closure, not forgiveness. I'm also unapologetically judgemental.

JeSuisJuif
    JeSuisCharlie

There was no mercy for the poor victims stabbed and there should be no mercy given to these horrid killers. That is what they are. Just because they are old now does not take away what they did. They killed innocent people in cold blood and a pregnant woman. These were people who had their whole life in front of them. They should have died years ago when they had the DP. I'm sorry but I have no feelings for them. They make me sick. No compassion at all. I feel for all their victims. The poor LaBianca's who deserved to be together till their life ended when it was their time. I cry when I think about what Manson and his followers did to all these people. It is still one of the worst crimes we have witnessed in our lifetime.

Thank God she did not get parole. I don't care that she changed or any of them did. What they did is not to be forgiven by us on earth, only a higher power can do that.

Always
    Goz

I would think... that if they didn't parole her this time, they never will. I do feel like my own mind is made up more in the direction of keeping her in forever; mainly by the point made that she has never seemed remorseful. I've thought that of her before, when I've seen earlier parole hearings on tape. She says she's so very sorry, and of course it's hard to tell when someone is lying (that's why we have lie detectors), but something strikes me as cold and rehearsed when Leslie says this. She may very well have a degree of psychopathy, and if so, would always be a danger to society. That argument is more convincing to me than the "most horrible crime" so she should have died argument. There are many crimes, many are horrible; we have to apply the death penalty judiciously or we head toward Shari'a law.

I was thinking something else about this yesterday, before the verdict: high-profile crimes like this often have erroneous info reported about them, and in an old case like this, a mythology has grown up. It is very hard to know, at this point, what the circumstances were. (Think Ramsey case, but much longer for the myth to develop.) Also, I think that in this case, we lump all the defendants together: they committed the crime together, they were caught together, they were tried and sentenced together, they have been in prison together for 40 years. But they are not all the same, and they did not do the same things, for the same causes; nor has their incarceration time been spent the same way.

It's hard in the face of a crime like this, and in the face of the pop and media and political coverage of this particular case, to separate bias from reason. Guess that's what judges are for....
    TAPU'S BLOG
    Murder in the Hills

as I read here and and read about LVH I wonder:
    If I had been part of that massacre IN ANY WAY and if , before going before the board ,I read about what happened ...(as we have read) ..and I had any grasp of reality and the courage to really look at myself truthfully......I THINK (no one knows until they are in the situation) I would WANT to stay in prison and continue to live the life I was used to but / and let God work it out. In the end, Only God knows the hearts and minds of man. (Except for "The Shadow" , of course.

I knew she didn't have a chance at parole after the Arnold reversed the boards decision to grant parole to Bruce Davis. IMO Bruce is the only one of tha group still locked up who ever had a chance at walking out of prison. I honestly don't even believe he killed anyone.

LVH says she only stabbed a dead person but she also held her victim down and helped put a pillowcase and lamp around her head. Plus, whose to say Rosemary was even dead when Leslie stabbed her? She obviously wasn't traumatized by murder because she was able to eat food from the victims fridge and flirt with the hitch-hiker who brought her home after the cruel act.

I think it is ironic and disgusting that the only "major" known member California paroled (Steve Grogan) had a child molesting charge. Thank God he has not re offended.

someone solve this mystery ...even though it says i am logged in everytime i try to post it says i am not?...lol
    I am very much interested in the manson case tapu and would love a discussion of it, sounds like you may have info i have been wanting to know...
    I do not think any manson member should be released from prison nor should have any ever been.
    My question though is what became of the "lesser" members? where are they? what kind of life have they lead? the reason i am interested in this so much is that I have a wierd feeling some of those members may hold the key or at least clues to many of the other crimes that happened in that area at that time...as you all well know probably better than myself there are still many unsolved crimes, missing people...teens especially , and etc. from that time and that area. By lesser members i am refering to those who were not involved or prosecuted for the tate/folger Etc. murders....
    I am not one that necessarily buys into the "They were just innocent teens looking for a place to get high" spin we have been fed all these years. I am sure there were some, the younger runaways and such.
    I am also not a believer in the spin that those who commited the horrible crimes were innocents lead astray and brainwashed by Manson...Don't forget all we have are the word of the killers on that. and ALL of them have proved through the years to not only be inconsistant in those claims but also hazy in their claims....I am sure Charlie was their leader and main organizer of the crimes...But i still am not convinced he was the sole creator and mastermind of it all. Don't forget most of his coherts and perpetators had already been involved in murders and other crimes as well. the men especially.
    Your thoughts/questions/answers....
    Last edited by Piecone; 07-21-2010 at 03:01 PM.

I was looking up Jennifer Landon, Michael Landons daughter, to see what she has been up to since she was As The World Turns. She is so talented.

Anyway, IMDB has her listed as playing a part in a movie about the Manson Girls. At first I thought it was just a coincidental title until I read the synopsis. So there is a movie in either production or preproduction involving the women/girls that helped commit the murders, including Leslie.

My opinion, Charles Manson and the girls where given the death penalty. Their reprieve was a Life sentence. That's all they should get. The reprieve when given should have stated "Life without the possibility of Parole" Had that have been stated we wouldn't have to be going through all of this every few years.

Gosh, I didn't see Pinecone's post until now, and s/he's probably gone for good. Too bad. I'd enjoy a more in-depth discussion of the case, too. Especially along the lines of separating the myth from what there is testimony of and evidence for. (Altho.... good luck, tapu, huh?)
    TAPU'S BLOG
    Murder in the Hills

Post Manson Follower Faces Parole Hearing

Wasn't sure whether to start a new thread or not, but now it's Patricia Krenwinkle's turn.

Posted: 7:21 am PST January 20, 2011Updated: 7:23 am PST January 20, 2011
    CORONA, Calif. -- A follower of Charles Manson who has been imprisoned longer than any other woman in California is facing a parole hearing on her conviction in the Sharon Tate killings. Grey haired Patricia Krenwinkel, one of Manson's two surviving female followers, has maintained a clean prison record in her four decades behind bars, but her chances for release appear slim following the parole officials' rejections in other Manson cases. Krenwinkel, 63, was convicted along with Manson and two other female followers in seven 1969 murders, considered among the most notorious crimes of the 20th Century. None of those convicted has ever been paroled and one of them, Susan Atkins, died in prison last year after being denied compassionate release when she was terminally ill with cancer. Leslie Van Houten, 61, the youngest of the women convicted was long thought to be the most likely to win eventual release. But she was denied a parole date last summer by officials who said she had not gained sufficient insight into her crimes. Parole boards have repeatedly cited the callousness, viciousness and calculation of the seven murders committed by members of the Manson Family. Krenwinkel admitted during her trial that she chased down and stabbed heiress Abigail Folger at the Tate home on Aug. 9, 1969 and participated in the stabbing deaths of Leno and Rosemary LaBianca the following night, Both homes were defaced with bloody scrawlings. She was convicted along with Manson, Van Houten and Atkins. Another defendant, Charles "Tex" Watson was convicted in a separate trial. All were sentenced to death but their sentences were commuted to life when the U.S. Supreme Court briefly outlawed the death penalty in 1972. more at link: http://www.ktvu.com/news/26557021/detail.html
    This is the year to locate Mark Dribin http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ht=Mark+Dribin NamUs MP#876 and Ilene Misheloff http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...lene+Misheloff NamUs MP#6410 and bring them home to their families!

JeSuisJuif
    JeSuisCharlie

Post Manson Follower Krenwinkel Denied Parole

Posted: 7:21 am PST January 20, 2011Updated: 9:33 pm PST January 20, 2011
    CORONA, Calif. -- In a decision suggesting that the brutal Sharon Tate murders are unforgivable, a parole board panel on Thursday refused to consider releasing Patricia Krenwinkel, who told the board she killed for the love of Charles Manson. The two-member panel made clear it was the horror of the killings, among the most notorious of the 20th century, that led them to reject the bid for parole in spite of Krenwinkel's efforts to change her life. They said the atrocious murders of seven people had affected the entire world -- evidenced by letters which came in from around the globe urging that she be kept behind bars -- and said Krenwinkel failed to understand that. "These crimes remain relevant," said parole commissioner Susan Melanson. "The public is in fear." more at link: http://www.ktvu.com/news/26557021/detail.html

JeSuisJuif
    JeSuisCharlie

Quote Originally Posted by Shaemae View Post
    My opinion, Charles Manson and the girls where given the death penalty. Their reprieve was a Life sentence. That's all they should get. The reprieve when given should have stated "Life without the possibility of Parole" Had that have been stated we wouldn't have to be going through all of this every few years.
    yes, of all times for California to get soft on crime! They have not shown true remorse, and deserve to rot in prison. These frequent parole hearings are torture for Sharon Tate's one remaining immediate family member. Her mother and sister both fought terminal cancer while trying to keep the Manson followers in prison.

sharpar is offline If dogs dont go to heaven I want to go where they are
    Thank Goodness the parole board remembers the facts of those horriffic murders .
    The murderers do not deserve any compassion or leniency as they showed none for the victims . Victims who had done nothing to any of them.

They should never be allowed out.

Quote Originally Posted by tapu View Post
    I'm quite ambivalent about her getting parole. In my studied opinion, she has served adequate time to pay for her level of involvement. I don't believe she would be a danger to society. One side matter to consider: Would a member of the Manson family really be safe from others, outside prison?

I'm interested in seeing the discussion about this. I have quite a few books and films for reference if anyone has specific questions about the crimes, the killers, the victims, etc.
    IMO no one associated with these brutal, tortuous murders should ever see the light of day again.
    "Life is life's greatest gift. Guard the life of another creature as you would your own because it is your own. On life's scale of values, the smallest is no less precious to the creature who owns it than the largest..." Lloyd Biggle, Jr.

Let's bring Michelle Parker home: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ichelle+parker

All statements made by me are based on my opinion.

free leslie!

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast