7-year old crashes boat; mother killed

lizzybeth

Reaction score
http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_news/hampton-woman-dies-in-boating-accident

A 35-year-old mother died after her 7-year-old son accidentally crashed their powerboat into a pier on the Hampton River Sunday evening, according to police. Virginia Marine Police Spokesman Don Bull said an adult allowed the child to briefly steer the boat as the family was returning home from a day on the water. The child veered the boat into and underneath the pier at about 6:15 p.m. His mother, Elizabeth J. Elliott of Hampton, was sitting on the bow of the boat and took the brunt of the impact, sending her crashing through the boat's glass windshield and into the back of the boat, according to John Bull, Director of Public Relations for the Marine Resources Commission of Virginia.

Why would someone allow a 7-year old steer a boat. Poor judgment for whoever did. Now this 7-year old is going to have to live with the fact that he was responsible (in actuality the adult was responsible) for his mother's death.

Please pray for this child.

I have seen people allow children to steer a boat out in the open water when no one is around, at a putting speed, and an adult is right there behind the child. I don't think it is a problem in such a case. However, this was right at the docks and clearly no adult was in control. Such a terrible tragedy for the whole family.

Very sad indeed. My heart goes out to all of those family members involved. Poor child.

This is such a heartbreaking story, especially since it was a preventable tragedy.

God bless this boy and his family.

As Cypros said, I don't see anything wrong with letting a child steer for a moment out in open, uncrowded water as long as it's a generally obedient child well-supervised by a sober adult.

But what were they thinking letting a child steer that close to a dock? I wouldn't let an inexperienced adult steer close to a dock, let alone a child! I wonder how much alcohol was involved with this poor decision?

My sympathies to this poor child. I cannot imagine what it will be like for him to grow up under this black cloud. I hope he can eventually realize it wasn't his fault, but that he was let down by the adults around him.

Very, very sad. And so preventable. :(

ETA: BTW, I also sympathize with the people who let the child steer, even though I am disappointed in them - that will be a decision that will be very hard to live with.

Oh goodness. That poor little boy is going to live this horror for the rest of his life. I hope his family gets him into therapy immediately. I can't imagine what it's like for a seven year old.. who likely feels it's all his fault his mother has passed.

I'm somewhat at a loss for words re: allowing the child to steer a boat. Open water makes sense with a responsible sober adult. :( Just heartbreaking. I'm really feeling for this little guy.

i would have guessed the father was the one that let him steer but apperentley he wasnt even there.

so who are the charges gonna be against? mom is dead. grandma is old. boy is too young.

poor kid has to live with this the rest of his life :(

Very sad! But not all that uncommon for unthinking parents to put deadly weapons in the hands of a 7 year old...remember the American girl who was killed when her parents tried to break the aviation record by having their 7 year old daughter fly coast to coast ...(early nineties, i seem to recall)

And perhaps the biggest screw up of all time...at least the most deadly...was
the Aeroflot pilot who let his tiny son play with the steering wheel of his brand new jet airplane at 30000 feet (loaded with 250+ passengers) and accidentally caused the plane to drop out of the sky with deadly consequences. (Saw this on a documentary in the "Airline Emergency" series.)

ETA: Years ago the star defender on my son's soccer team lost half his leg after his 6 year old sister rammed her high speed wave runner at about 30 mph into her 8 year old brother who at that moment was sitting still on his own high speed wave runner. More money than sense!

i would have guessed the father was the one that let him steer but apperentley he wasnt even there.

so who are the charges gonna be against? mom is dead. grandma is old. boy is too young.

poor kid has to live with this the rest of his life :(

I would guess, the family friend it was his boat and I would assume he's the one that should have been in complete control of it.

And perhaps the biggest screw up of all time...at least the most deadly...was
the Aeroflot pilot who let his tiny son play with the steering wheel of his brand new jet airplane at 30000 feet (loaded with 250+ passengers) and accidentally caused the plane to drop out of the sky with deadly consequences. (Saw this on a documentary in the "Airline Emergency" series.)
!

I had not heard of this 1994 incident and looked it up. The son was 15 years old and there were 75 passengers + crew. What a terrible screw up!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeroflot_Flight_593

Adults need to realize that there are times when indulging children is entirely inappropriate.

People who wouldnt drive a car drunk think nothing of driving a boat or riding a jetski drunk.Same for letting a child drive a car-they wouldnt-but they think nothing of letting a child do it because they are stupid and think of a boat as a 'toy'.
Its a HUGE problem here in Florida.People get out in the water and lose all common sense and dont realize(until its too late)that the water is just as deadly as the roads and rules DO apply.
I really wish it was mandatory that to purchase or rent jetskis or boats you had to take some serious boat and water safety courses!!

http://www.wtkr.com/news/wtkr-family-remembers-hp-boatax,0,4797083.story?track=rss

Air Force Veteran Elizabeth Elliott was enjoying her Fourth of July on the water with friends and her 8-year-old son, when she was killed in a boating accident in Hampton. Elizabeth and her son were visiting from Kentucky.

"I thought she bumped her head on the boat, that is what I wanted to believe," said Tina Hamilton, Elizabeth's sister.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd
Back