Thread: Peterson Trial Begins July 8th

Peterson Trial Begins July 8th

http://www.southtownstar.com/news/24...terson.article

Fourteen months after being arrested and jailed, Drew Peterson is to go on trial Thursday in Will County Circuit Court for the March 2004 murder of his third wife.

Will Peterson's lawyers give him the chance to testify in his defense? Joel Brodsky, the longest serving of Peterson's six attorneys, won't say if his client will do so. He said he's not sure whom he will call to testify.

"It depends what evidence the state puts on," said Brodsky, who is trying his first-ever murder case with the eyes of the world watching.

Brodsky said the defense has some tricks up its sleeve.

"There's going to be some surprises in my opening (statement). It will be informative and entertaining," said Brodsky, who predicted that he is going to get under the skin of State's Attorney James Glasgow, who's personally trying the case. "You'll probably hear him grunt and groan."
    Last edited by Paintr; 07-07-2010 at 08:44 AM. Reason: fix link
    JMO

RIP Travis Alexander

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Paintr For This Useful Post:

http://www.myfoxchicago.com/dpp/news...-case-20100706

Trial: Three Things Each Side Needs to do, to Win the Case

Experts say the prosecution needs to focus on three key points: establish a motive (and show Peterson is the only one who benefited from Savio's murder); convince the jury that hearsay evidence is reliable; and convince jurors that State Police blundered the original investigation (so the first autopsy can be regarded as flawed).

snip

Overall, the defense team needs to focus on three key points: the lack of evidence (DNA or fingerprints) connecting Peterson to Savio's murder; highlight the conflicting autopsies (to force them to question whether it was murder or an accident); and point out that the law requires them to find Peterson guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.
    JMO

RIP Travis Alexander

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Paintr For This Useful Post:

I really do not understand why Brodsky thinks he needs to be such a smart a@@.
    It comes across like he doesn't take this seriously. I guess if he was any different, DP would not have hired him. Birds of a feather...

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ohiogirl For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ohiogirl View Post
    I really do not understand why Brodsky thinks he needs to be such a smart a@@.
    It comes across like he doesn't take this seriously. I guess if he was any different, DP would not have hired him. Birds of a feather...
    Oh my, do I ever agree! They both have the ewwwww factor if you ask me. Ick.

But, on the other hand, I hope with all my being that the states case is solid and they are able to convict. Maybe that would shut both of them up.

Hey! A girl can dream, can't she??????

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TallCoolOne For This Useful Post:

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2...-evidence.html

Peterson trial delayed as prosecutors appeal ruling on evidence

Drew Peterson's murder trial will be delayed as prosecutors appeal a ruling that bars several hearsay statements they believe would help convict the retired police officer of his third wife's death.

"The people of the state of Illinois are entitled to a fair trial, and I intend to see that they get one," State's Attorney James Glasgow said in a statement. "As state's attorney, I am obligated to appeal the judge's ruling to ensure that every legally admissible statement may be presented at trial."
    JMO

RIP Travis Alexander

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paintr For This Useful Post:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...5s2SwD9GQDCJG2

Peterson attorney says prosecution 'chickened out'
    (AP) 1 hour ago

CHICAGO The defense attorney for Drew Peterson says an appeal on hearsay evidence in the former police officer's upcoming murder trial signals to him that prosecutors have no case.

snip

That evidence is considered crucial because prosecutors have not yet produced physical evidence linking Peterson to Savio's death, first-hand witnesses or a confession.

State's Attorney James Glasgow said Wednesday he will appeal the judge's decision but did not say exactly what hearsay statements were excluded.

snip

During a hearing earlier this year to determine what hearsay evidence a jury would be allowed to hear, several witnesses testified Savio told them she feared Peterson would kill her and had even sneaked into her house and held a knife to her throat and threatened her life.

They also presented witnesses who told of conversations they had with Stacy Peterson, including a pastor who testified Stacy told them she had helped Peterson concoct a fake alibi the weekend Savio's body was found
    JMO

RIP Travis Alexander

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Paintr For This Useful Post:

I'm sure the prosecution has a solid case, but if the inclusion of the hearsay that Judge White has deemed not allowed, would make the case even stronger, I'm all for this move by the prosecution.

It may take a few weeks to go before the appellate court and get a decision, but if that decision allows the hearsay evidence previously denied to be used in the trial, and that leads to a conviction, I'm all for it. I'd rather the trial be delayed than to have Drew Peterson acquitted.
    My posts are my opinion..........

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Leila For This Useful Post: