TH's body language

Kimster

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ufo2001.com
Those who have posted with me in other forums might know that I am intrigued by the body language and psyche of people involved in cases. Because we relaxed our sleuthing practices on TH yesterday, I'm looking forward to a discussion on TH's body language in the first presser.

Here's the link: http://www.kgw.com/video/featured-v...ly-speaks-publicly-for-1st-time-96171744.html

Note: I was able to quickly go to Kyron's case calendar to find what I was looking for. If you haven't checked it out yet, Butterfly has been doing a great job keeping it up to date. Everyone is welcome to add to the calendar! Here's the link: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/calendar.php?s=&month=6&year=2010&do=&c=10

I have a lot of thoughts about TH's body language. The one thing that stuck out to me right away the first time I watched the presser was that she seemed to be "consoling" everyone rather than be upset about Kyron!

Thanks, Kimster.

It was her body language at that first presser that set my mind into overdrive. There are some still photos from it that immediately made me think she was "fearful" more than anguished or upset.

There was also a moment where it appeared to me like she was sort of looking around, with her eyes only, as to the behavior on either side of her (Desiree and Tony on one side and Kaine on the other) and trying to mimic it.

That one pic where Kaine has his arm around her and her head is on his chest and she is looking upward...that is the one pic that has continued to haunt me since the beginning. It's like her face is saying "Oh please no, don't let anyone figure out that I had anything to do with this."

I can't explain why her facial expression says that to me. It just does.

Thanks, Kimster.

It was her body language at that first presser that set my mind into overdrive. There are some still photos from it that immediately made me think she was "fearful" more than anguished or upset.

There was also a moment where it appeared to me like she was sort of looking around, with her eyes only, as to the behavior on either side of her (Desiree and Tony on one side and Kaine on the other) and trying to mimic it.

That one pic where Kaine has his arm around her and her head is on his chest and she is looking upward...that is the one pic that has continued to haunt me since the beginning. It's like her face is saying "Oh please no, don't let anyone figure out that I had anything to do with this."

I can't explain why her facial expression says that to me. It just does.

Right around that time, her eyes were blinking a lot. We need to see what that might mean? I've never seen that before and wonder about that also.

When being consoled by her husband, she looked up and she seemed to me to be pleading for her husband to "believe her." She had pleading eyes to me. Also was the only one of the group who kept looking at everyone else so I was guessing she was monitoring their reactions, trying to copy.

I see some self soothing: arms crossed in front of stomach in a kind of hug, rubs one arm with her other hand/thumb while Kaine is speaking. I notice she doesn’t wipe her eyes, but does wipe her nose at one point, so to me she doesn’t appear to be trying hard to look like she’s weeping but may have some tears causing her nose to run. When Kaine returns from the podium, she opens her hands and moves into him as if she expects him to hug her, but he does not, so she is left awkwardly reaching for him and just as awkwardly putting her head on his shoulder. Painful to watch. When she side-hugs Desiree and looks up at her, that is pretty painful to watch too. I don’t think she is acting as though she is guilty (necessarily), but she does seem very self conscious. In all fairness, at the time it was quite clear already that the community’s suspicion was falling on her (comments on the local sites have been scary!), so she is probably second guessing how she is coming off, even if she has nothing to do with it. :twocents:

I think I’ve seen a longer version of this video somewhere, which includes the entry and exit?

I agree with the above posters. She kept looking at bio parents for clues on how she should behave. Nothing authentic was emanating from her. I also thought she was a bit over-the-top when she threw her arms around everyone's shoulders like a coach and then around Kaine's waist in a rather intimate "for-the-cameras" huggy moment. I briefly lost my children when they were little and there is no way I could have made those body movements. I felt weak, as though punched in the solar plexus and wanting to grab my stomach and double over. I notice Desiree had that kind of posture at the first presser...leaning a bit forward with her hand on her stomach. You are completely inside your own mind in that situation and unaware of other people around you. You are overtaken with a primal fear. As such, you're eyes would never dart around, rather, they would stare straight ahead or slightly downward...looking at nothing because the focus is inside your head. Your arms would be almost useless...they would certainly not have the strength to throw themselves around other people's shoulders or waists and you would absolutely not be cuddling-up with your hubby like you were at home on the couch watching a sad movie. You are completely alone in this kind of terror...you are living this horror, not watching it.

Rewatching that video made me remember why I was suspicious of her from that moment on. I see her looking at the other family members and trying to mimic their reactions. I see her either 'trying too hard' to console others or guarding herself by crossing her arm in front of herself. To me, it shows 'consciousness of guilt.' JMO

It looked to me like she was watching the others so she could copy their behavior.

When being consoled by her husband, she looked up and she seemed to me to be pleading for her husband to "believe her." She had pleading eyes to me. Also was the only one of the group who kept looking at everyone else so I was guessing she was monitoring their reactions, trying to copy.

Her upward looking eyes indicate fear to me but fear that she not be discovered. She looks clearly afraid but whether it has to do with fear for Kyron's safety is not clear to me.

Right around that time, her eyes were blinking a lot. We need to see what that might mean? I've never seen that before and wonder about that also.

Found a really amazing article from the American Psychological Association about research into just that: Psychological Sleuths - Detecting Deception (http://www.apa.org/monitor/julaug04/detecting.aspx)

They warn readers that detecting deception is an inexact science, but note an association between lying and increased pupil size, an indicator of tension and concentration. Second, they find that people listening to liars think they seem more nervous than truth-tellers, perhaps because their voices are pitched higher. And liars are more likely than truth-tellers to press their lips together. On the other hand, they note, liars don't appear to be more fidgety, nor do they blink more or have less-relaxed posture.

BBM. I don't know if this applies only to people who are telling lies, like during an interview or something, or people who are just practicing deceptive emotional practices... I'll have to go back and look at Terri's photos from the pressers to see if she's displaying any of the signs mentioned in the article.

She looks like she has guilt. Kind of reminds me of a little kid that has done something wrong and wants to be hugged and consoled and told that everything is okay and she is still loved. At first I thought she could have guilt just because she was the last person to see him but now that we are finding out more things about her maybe it's more than that.

The woman looks sucker punched.

Reading her body language at the time is tough for me, because if she is innocent, I can explain her body language by way of guilt for being the last parent to see Kyron alive. Who knows what may have been said to her prior to the press conference -- why didn't you walk Kyron to class, did you harm him, etc. And, if she is innocent, it would make sense that she was fearful or fidgety or overly comforting/helpful. Regardless of the outcome of this case, I think Terri is probably a fidgety and overly helpful person by nature, and so some of that may have bled through at the press conference.

Whenever I want to judge someone in this situation, I think of Ed Smart who I believed, at the time of Elizabeth Smart's abduction and up until the day she was found, was guilty as sin. His voice was high pitched, he was fidgety, his grief to me seemed insincere, the pubescent daughter disappeared from inside the home -- all the signs were there! I was obviously wrong.

New here and appreciate all the time you all dedicate to Kyron and others.

I noticed that she does not look up to the audience like the other 3. Almsot on cue the 3 parents look up to acknowledge the community. She does seem uncomfortable.

I am so glad this topic was brought up; I had been wanting to say something about that day when TY and Kaine spoke and how TH came across to me. At the time , I did not have any idea that attention would soon focus on her but my eyes were drawn to her for some reason I can't explain and the one view that stuck with me is not on this particular video;it must be on the longer one that another poster mentioned. I'm going to go look for it because I want to see if it still strikes me the same way.
I would describe it , best I can , as a "furtive" look.......and it was just for a very short moment....anyone else know what I'm trying to say? :help:

If this is not an acceptable post PLEASE delete it fast. Thanks

The arms crossed across her front being held still points to her trying to control her own body language. Interesting.

I am still on the fence~and being new I have a hard time believing any one could hurt a child.

I don't know if this would help or if it's a legit source but I thought maybe some of you interested in reading body language might find it helpful:

http://www.positive-way.com/body.htm

Specifically the second paragraph about "the eyes communicate.."

Here's another link about body language:

http://www.blifaloo.com/info/lies.php

Great thread Kimster! I am glad to now have a discussion on this subject.

I noticed the difference in TH and DY's behavior at the first presser. My first thought was that she was consoling KH and DY because she was the last person seen with Kyron and felt a degree of guilt because of that fact. There was a look of panic in her eyes or something, she just seemed physically jittery, IMO.

I have re-watched the video a few times and I have zoned in on different nuances of her body language each time. She looks very much the outcast who is trying to ingratiate herself into the 'fold'. Her overall 'look' to me is one of......"Oh shizz!" It seemed to me as though she was preoccupied with her own thoughts the whole time but I won't speculate on what those thoughts could be.

Funny how I don't pick up on things til the second or third time I watch these presser vids.:waitasec:

wm

MOO

I feel like it's cheating to examine body language "after the fact" as my observations are now prejudiced.

It seems I rather failed the first go around. I just thought she was acting nervous and concerned about everyone else, and feeling just terrible that she didn't walk that child into his classroom that day. I also attributed her relative attentiveness to (okay don't mess up your screen now...) Terri being a "giver-type". :blushing:

LOL.

But it sure is interesting. :D

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123