Thread: 7-7-10 Trial POSTPONED

7-7-10 Trial POSTPONED

Something about testimony of a dead person. I guess that would be letters Kathleen wrote?
    ugg

Beautiful Rox.
    Sept. 18, 1997 - May 26 2012
    Rest peacefully my love I'll forever miss you.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to drip~drop For This Useful Post:

This is from LAST July 14th when trial was postponed.
    http://www.upi.com/Top_News/2009/07/...9521247612391/

Beautiful Rox.
    Sept. 18, 1997 - May 26 2012
    Rest peacefully my love I'll forever miss you.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to drip~drop For This Useful Post:

TigerBalm is offline Pray for all the missing and innocent people whose lives were taken too soon!
    Prosecutors: Drew Peterson trial will be delayed
    The Associated Press
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010; 2:37 PM

JOLIET, Ill. -- Prosecutors say former police officer Drew Peterson's trial on charges of killing his third wife will be delayed while they appeal a judge's decision to exclude some hearsay evidence.

<snip>
    State's Attorney James Glasgow said Wednesday he will appeal the judge's decision but did not say exactly what hearsay statements were excluded.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...070703433.html
    JUSTICE FOR TRAVIS!!!
    MC Superior Court ‏@courtpio
    Jury selection to begin on September 8 #JodiArias

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TigerBalm For This Useful Post:

I thought this might happen. Last week the prosecution asked Judge White to reconsider the hearsay that he had denied be admitted as evidence. This included portions of the testimony given by Pastor Neal Schori at the January pre-hearing.

A couple weeks ago the Illinois State Supreme Court ruled unanimously in a similar murder case that the hearsay evidence presented at trial was valid. The defense in that case had tried to get the verdict overturned based on hearsay evidence very similar to the evidence the prosecution wants to present in the Peterson case. But, the Supreme Court ruled against the defense in that case, saying the prosecution's hearsay evidence was valid.

The prosecution in the Peterson case asked Judge White to read the Supreme Court ruling in the other case and reconsider some of the hearsay evidence the prosecution wants to present, but that Judge White had previously denied. Judge White said he would read the Supreme Court ruling over the weekend (July 4th weekend) and email the prosecution and defense with his decision. It was announced yesterday that Judge White's decision was to not allow any more hearsay evidence in the trial.

The prosecution has the option of appealing Judge White's decision to the Illinois Supreme Court and let them decide. This is obviously the route they've taken. In the end, this might work out for the better...........if the Supreme Court allows the hearsay evidence that the prosecution wants to present, they'll have a stronger case.

I think the prosecution is doing the right thing. I want them to have a strong case going into trial and a better chance at a conviction.
    My posts are my opinion..........

8. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Leila For This Useful Post:

This article has some good information on some of the hearsay evidence that's at issue in the appeal to the state appellate court. Judge White is allowing only a portion of Pastor Neal Schori's testimony, and denying any testimony from a co-worker of Kathleen Savio, whom Kathleen had told in detail about Drew Peterson grabbing her her and threatening her.

http://www.fox12idaho.com/global/story.asp?s=12768278

10. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Leila For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Leila View Post
    This article has some good information on some of the hearsay evidence that's at issue in the appeal to the state appellate court. Judge White is allowing only a portion of Pastor Neal Schori's testimony, and denying any testimony from a co-worker of Kathleen Savio, whom Kathleen had told in detail about Drew Peterson grabbing her her and threatening her.

http://www.fox12idaho.com/global/story.asp?s=12768278
    Thanks Leila for your great posts, making this very understandable. xox

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to scandi For This Useful Post:

I have a question...

If the state appeals this matter to the Illinois Supreme Court and they overrule Judge White and allow this evidence. Then Drew is convicted at trial. If his defense team appeals the conviction, are they petitioning the Illinois Supreme Court, the same court that made the rulling on the evidence?
    JMO

RIP Travis Alexander

Don't we have 6th amendment right to face your accuser..Confrontation clause....? Anyone know of a lawyer in Chicago who can fiile a federal civil rights lawsuit..I've been falsely accoused. Anyways I don't want him walking around...But that would suck to try this clown and have it eventually thrown out becasue of this hearsay law and who else can get accused will it be amended after a conviction...
    Last edited by jime23; 07-08-2010 at 11:05 AM.

http://wbbm.cbslocal.com/2010/07/12/...ion/#more-8418

Drew Peterson’s lawyers to file motion

Steve Miller
    Local News, More 780 Headlines
    7/12/2010
    2:40 PM

CHICAGO (WBBM) – Drew Peterson’s lawyers have indicated they plan to file motions in court this week to get the murder trial going again soon – and to try again to get Peterson released from custody.

Drew Peterson’s defense team is expected to file at least a couple of documents with the court – probably as early as this week:

First, to try again to have Peterson released from jail. And to try to force Peterson’s murder trial to proceed sooner rather than later.

Last week the Will County’s State’s Attorney’s office announced it was appealing the judge’s ruling to ban some hearsay testimony in the murder trial.

That appeal is expected to delay the trial for months.

Now Peterson’s defense team says the state’s attorney waited too long – that is, more than 30 days – to appeal the judge’s hearsay ruling. And Peterson’s lawyers say the state’s attorney shouldn’t be allowed to challenge the hearsay ruling now – so, they say, the trial should go on.

Newsradio 780 is trying to reach the Will County State’s Attorney for comment.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fleetfoot For This Useful Post:

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=393788

Attorneys for Drew Peterson accused Will County prosecutors Tuesday of intentionally delaying the trial until after the judge overseeing the high-profile case retires.

snip...

But in the latest twist, lead defense attorney Joel Brodsky said Glasgow is well aware he missed a 30-day appeal deadline, but pursued one anyway as a stalling tactic to push the start of trial beyond White's expected October retirement.

The defense is asking the Third District Appellate Court to dismiss Glasgow's appeal.

"This is pretty open and shut," Brodsky said. "(Glasgow's) either incompetent or he's doing it to intentionally delay the trial because he wants a different trial judge. Judge White was going to give Drew Peterson a fair trial and (Glasgow) doesn't want that."
    JMO

RIP Travis Alexander

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Paintr For This Useful Post:

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/b...071310.article

Peterson, the accused wife-killer and disgraced former cop, faces murder charges in connection with the death of his third wife, Kathleen Savio. He is also suspected of slaying his fourth wife, Stacy Peterson.

Earlier this year, Judge Stephen White ruled that Peterson probably killed both women, clearing the way for a substantial amount of hearsay evidence to be allowed at trial. But a recent Illinois Supreme Court decision prompted State's Attorney James Glasgow to ask White to reconsider his ruling and allow all of the hearsay evidence.
    JMO

RIP Travis Alexander

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Paintr For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Paintr View Post
    http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=393788

Attorneys for Drew Peterson accused Will County prosecutors Tuesday of intentionally delaying the trial until after the judge overseeing the high-profile case retires.

snip...

But in the latest twist, lead defense attorney Joel Brodsky said Glasgow is well aware he missed a 30-day appeal deadline, but pursued one anyway as a stalling tactic to push the start of trial beyond White's expected October retirement.

The defense is asking the Third District Appellate Court to dismiss Glasgow's appeal.

"This is pretty open and shut," Brodsky said. "(Glasgow's) either incompetent or he's doing it to intentionally delay the trial because he wants a different trial judge. Judge White was going to give Drew Peterson a fair trial and (Glasgow) doesn't want that."
    I think Joel Brodsky is wrong on this one. It was June 18th when Judge White issued his ruling on the hearsay. The prosecution filed their appeal to the appellate court on July 7th - 17 days later. So the prosecution is within the 30-day window.

Joel Brodsky is using a date of May 18th for some reason.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Leila For This Useful Post:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...,3979282.story

Peterson lawyers try again for jail release

Drew Peterson's lawyers will take another shot at getting the retired police officer out of jail while an unexpected appeal delays his murder trial.

In a sharply worded motion sent to the Illinois Appellate Court on Wednesday, the defense team argued that Peterson is neither a threat to society nor a flight risk.

"Notwithstanding a very public investigation, and a stated desire to bring charges, at no time did Drew ever attempt to flee from the jurisdiction of the court," the motion stated. "The prosecution has never claimed he is a flight risk. There would be no merit to any suggestion that he would have the capacity or desire to flee if freed pending this appeal."
    JMO

RIP Travis Alexander

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Paintr For This Useful Post:

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/f...100715.article

Joseph "Shark" Lopez, another of the Peterson's attorneys, said the appeal process could last as long as two years. With Peterson unable to post his $20 million bond and sitting in jail for more than 14 months already, Brodsky accused Glasgow of keeping his client locked up for no other reason than to mete out punishment to a man who should be presumed innocent.

"I think they want to punish him," Brodsky said. "If we really believe in the presumption of innocence, Drew should be let go."

Glasgow's spokesman, Charles B. Pelkie, disputed Brodsky's version of why prosecutors want to keep Peterson behind bars.

"Certainly not," Pelkie said, adding, "We presented information and compelling reasons for the bond remaining the same during the pendency of this appeal."
    JMO

RIP Travis Alexander

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paintr For This Useful Post: