Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: SC - Justin Turner, 5, found strangled in Moncks Corner, 5 March 1989

SC - Justin Turner, 5, found strangled in Moncks Corner, 5 March 1989

This happened on the same small street in which I grew up and it has haunted me for quite some time. I was 11 years old at the time and Justin was the same age as my little sister.

Here is the most detailed article I can find to date. This pretty much explains it. I would like to add some fact if I may. *Mods, I am assuming it is alright to add my own personal known facts. Please feel free to steer me in the right direction as this is my first thread topic. Thanks!

I cannot remember how many days Justin was missing. (not many)
    My parents own a pond and LE dragged the bottom of the pond.
    His home was down a small dirt driveway and his stepmother told LE he had went to catch the bus.
    LE searched a camper on the property.
    They searched that exact same camper the very next day and found Justins cold body. It was colder than you would expect even post mortem. Almost as if it had been chilled.
    Justin was strangled and sexually abused.

Below is pretty much everything else known in the case..which is sad
    Please help find justice for Justin. This is one of those cases that this community still speaks about. Anyone who lives here or lived here knows exactly who Justin Turner was. I need to find a pic. He was blonde, average/skinny, and caucasian.

Files on 1989 slaying case found

MONCKS CORNER - Police plan to examine documents from a former Berkeley County coroner in an attempt to glean more information in the 1989 slaying of a 5-year-old Moncks Corner boy.

A number of old files, including one devoted to the death of Justin Turner, were found last week among the possessions of former Coroner William Smith Jr.

Mr. Smith died last month. Family members discovered the documents and called current Coroner Wade Arnette, who immediately gave the Turner file to the State Law Enforcement Division.

"I don't know if these are duplicates or additional, but there was a portion pertaining to Justin Turner," Mr. Arnette said.

The child's body was found March 5, 1989, inside a pickup truck camper outside the home he shared with his father and stepmother. An autopsy showed he had been sexually assaulted and strangled.

Mr. Smith held a coroner's inquest in which Justin's parents refused to testify but resulted in a murder charge against Pamela K. Turner, the boy's stepmother.

The charges were dropped in 1990 because of a lack of evidence. Victor Turner, the boy's father, was not charged

http://old.chronicle.augusta.com/sto...h_203034.shtml
    Last edited by Kimster; 12-26-2011 at 12:54 PM. Reason: featured cold case from 12/18/2011 to 12/25/2011

2. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to 4BB For This Useful Post:

Also can a Mod help me out. What/Who can we sleuth? The step mom was charged and the charges dropped due to lack of evidence. Can we sleuth her?
    Thanks!

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 4BB For This Useful Post:

Cubby is offline 50K reward, Bob Harrod-Missing: Call Det. Radomski 714-993-8176
    She's been listed in the news as a POI /Suspect so yes she can be sleuthed. You can always send us a pm if you have a question. With as many posts as we have at WS, questions directed to mods within threads might be missed.

It would be good to find as many news articles as possible. Review the known facts and go from there.

I'm curious to know why the boys mother was charged.. and other details of the case.

Will have to look into this case.
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

Websleuths Resource Center

Call Kurtis - Psychics and the Missing

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cubby For This Useful Post:

Cubby is offline 50K reward, Bob Harrod-Missing: Call Det. Radomski 714-993-8176
    Here is an article about Justins case. It says he was on his way to go to a neighbors house a few hundred yards away to wait for the school bus early friday morning. He was missing two days before his body was found Sunday in the camper near the home he had lived in with his dad and step mom. LE had searched the camper on Saturday and Justin was not in the camper Saturday. Someone had to have brought him back to the camper, imo, hoping since it was searched once it wouldn't be searched again.

According to this article, step mom claims to have been in the shower when Justin left the house and stated his father was at work.

Photo of Justin at link. Very cute kid. Hopefully he gets the justice he deserves.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...trangled&hl=en
    Last edited by Cubby; 07-25-2010 at 05:19 PM. Reason: correction
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

8. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Cubby For This Useful Post:

Found a snippet available. The article itself is only 209 words long.

http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/...ckval=GooglePM

December 23, 1989

STEPMOTHER OUT OF JAIL AFTER BOND IS POSTED (headline).

The following article might be one to order IMHO.

http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/...ckval=GooglePM

December 23, 1989

(What caught my eye was the synopsis of the article that was below the link above, it's not available for view if you click on the link and read the opening sentences of the article):

Justin was found dead March 5 in a camper near his Berkeley County home An autopsy showed the boy had been strangled and sexually assaulted
    ----------------the above are all pay per view links----------------

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...a-turner&hl=en

(NOTE: this link is a bit off center when you open it, look for the yellow highlighted area and move the page over there) Very interesting article, appears to be a feud between family members?

NOTE: Picture of StepMom at link

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...indicted&hl=en
    No Indictment.

Intersting not directly related but mentions both parents.

Charges dropped

That's all I could find for the moment, hope that helps. I am sorry I didn't provide an outline of what's available in each article but I have to go bed LOL it's almost 2 AM here

10. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Kat For This Useful Post:

Thanks Kat, I corrected my post to say Camper near home he resided in with his dad and step mom.

Lots to read up on this case...... I am still wondering what evidence LE had to charge the step mom.
    ~JMO~

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cubby For This Useful Post:

Me too Cubby, it's been 21 years and we've had so many advances in forensics I wonder if they would take another look at Justin's murder.

There are reports of evidence found peppered throughout those articles but they aren't specific details.

As I scanned last night (I didn't read all of the articles word for word because it was very late and there were so many) I did wonder why the push for the SM as the murderer?

Of course women can sexually assault children as often as men. It still makes me wonder what they have that suggests to them that she is the one that sexually assaulted him.

Before I hit that particular piece of evidence (if it is accurate) I thought to myself---well, we have the classic scenario of a step parent that either accidently or intentionally murdered a step-child but that one bit of information gave me pause.

I think that this particular murder needs to be reinvestigated (if possible) by LE. As everyone knows there is no statute of limitations on murder and if she is guilty and commited these acts against Justin she needs to be held accountable. If she didn't, then the person who did needs to be.

All JMHO.

14. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Kat For This Useful Post:

I agree Kat. It almost makes me wonder if LE made mistakes initially investigating this murder. I don't have any facts to base that on, just an initial feeling with skimming the articles like you did.

I have more reading and research to do on this case, but perhaps the OP or one of us can call LE and ask if they can give us any insight as to whether the case will be re-opened etc.

Justin kind of reminds me of my son. The blonde hair, blue eyes. Justin deserves justice. I know if it were my son (god forbid), I'd go to not only the ends of the earth but the ends of the solar system to get justice for him. Justin deserves that too.
    ~JMO~

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cubby For This Useful Post:

Last night when I was reading one of the articles Justin's Mother spoke to media by phone and said (after the charges were dropped IIRC) "This will never be over for us".

That hit me right in the heart.

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kat For This Useful Post:

Justin Turner aged 5 years

I couldn't adjust his picture much because it was pubished in black and white and printed in a newspaper and then scanned to the internet. I thought it important to have his face here while we look at his case.

Justin Turner aged 5

20. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Kat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 4BB View Post
    This happened on the same small street in which I grew up and it has haunted me for quite some time. I was 11 years old at the time and Justin was the same age as my little sister.

Here is the most detailed article I can find to date. This pretty much explains it. I would like to add some fact if I may. *Mods, I am assuming it is alright to add my own personal known facts. Please feel free to steer me in the right direction as this is my first thread topic. Thanks!

I cannot remember how many days Justin was missing. (not many)
    My parents own a pond and LE dragged the bottom of the pond.
    His home was down a small dirt driveway and his stepmother told LE he had went to catch the bus.
    LE searched a camper on the property.
    They searched that exact same camper the very next day and found Justins cold body. It was colder than you would expect even post mortem. Almost as if it had been chilled.
    Justin was strangled and sexually abused.

Below is pretty much everything else known in the case..which is sad
    Please help find justice for Justin. This is one of those cases that this community still speaks about. Anyone who lives here or lived here knows exactly who Justin Turner was. I need to find a pic. He was blonde, average/skinny, and caucasian.

Files on 1989 slaying case found

MONCKS CORNER - Police plan to examine documents from a former Berkeley County coroner in an attempt to glean more information in the 1989 slaying of a 5-year-old Moncks Corner boy.

A number of old files, including one devoted to the death of Justin Turner, were found last week among the possessions of former Coroner William Smith Jr.

Mr. Smith died last month. Family members discovered the documents and called current Coroner Wade Arnette, who immediately gave the Turner file to the State Law Enforcement Division.

"I don't know if these are duplicates or additional, but there was a portion pertaining to Justin Turner," Mr. Arnette said.

The child's body was found March 5, 1989, inside a pickup truck camper outside the home he shared with his father and stepmother. An autopsy showed he had been sexually assaulted and strangled.

Mr. Smith held a coroner's inquest in which Justin's parents refused to testify but resulted in a murder charge against Pamela K. Turner, the boy's stepmother.

The charges were dropped in 1990 because of a lack of evidence. Victor Turner, the boy's father, was not charged

http://old.chronicle.augusta.com/sto...h_203034.shtml
    Can someone look at this and see if I'm determining the age on this entry for Justin?

The above link has this at the bottom:

"From the Friday, January 24, 1997 edition of the Augusta Chronicle"

Is that indicating that the above article was republishing of news from the Augusta Chronicle that was originally published on the date I snipped?

(I had to get my bearing through google maps, now I know where Moncks Corner is, I previously lived in Augusta GA for 3 years well over a decade ago).

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kat For This Useful Post:

4BB found StepMom entry in intelius. It's her. Male relative first name the same as Justin's fathers name as reported in media.

Middle initial for PT is K

Here are the towns associated with her:

Goose Creek, SC
    Ladson, SC
    Summerville, SC
    Waco, TX

I'll dig around later this week and see what we come up with

ETA: This does not prove is she is still alive, just gives an area to start looking for info.
    Last edited by Kat; 07-26-2010 at 12:25 AM.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kat For This Useful Post:

More info on Justin Turner

IMHO, some members of Justin Turner's family knows about what happened than they're telling -- at least that was the opinion of the late newspaper reporter Mary Bailey. She worked at The Berkeley Independent (Moncks Corner, SC) 1988 - 1992 and covered the murder investigation in greater detail than the out of town media.

I wonder what happened to Mary's files and notes on the Turner case?

Mary continued following the Turner case until her death in 2001. Privately, she told me she thought parts of the investigation and collection of evidence was botched and thus unable to be used in court. Berkeley County Sheriff's Detective Sidney Wrenn, who headed the initial investigation, might dispute her contention.

The newspaper's online archives are fairly recent, but the Berkeley County Library has issues from 1989 through the '90s on microfilm. It's possible the library put clippings of the stories in their vertical files.

26. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Dixierose For This Useful Post:

Welcome to WS dixierose! Glad you joined the convo

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kat For This Useful Post:

It seems it would be someone who knew that the camper was searched when Justin's body was placed in there.

Another thought I had is why was he allowed to leave the house when the stepmother was in the shower and no other adult in the house? It may be just me but my son isn't allowed to leave the house if I am in the shower, yes I am very over protective and with good reason.

This little boy needs justice.
    Debbie

To catch a criminal, you must think like one. (Professor Hamre)

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Debbie Miller For This Useful Post:

Oh my goodness!!! I am in tears. I checked this thread for a while and there was no response so I assumed it got buried...then I decide to check again and here you all are!!!
    Thank you so much for taking the time to help Justin.

I can tell you that he had to walk down a dirt driveway to get to his bus stop. His bus stop was not in view of his home.

Rumor alert ~ I was told that there was evidence he was molested with a glass Coca Cola bottle (???)

How in the world did you find all of this information? I have googled and found little/nothing!

32. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to 4BB For This Useful Post:

If memory serves...Justin has blonde hair, blue eyes, and in that black and white picture, was wearing a yellow shirt

I have put in an email to the Sheriffs department asking what I could do and what information was still available. I will report back as soon as I hear something.
    Last edited by 4BB; 08-18-2010 at 09:25 AM.

34. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to 4BB For This Useful Post:

I find it very hard to believe that someone unknown to the family, or outside the family, or the neighborhood was involved. They lived at the end of a dirt road. Anyone who didn't 'belong' would most likely have stood out at the time. Then there is the matter of the camper being searched and the body being found there later. What I wonder though is what motive the SM would have even had? The family said she was sweet to Justin.

I wonder if there is other evidence the coroner had that wasn't in the 'official report' for some reason? This poor little guy deserves justice!

36. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SunnieRN For This Useful Post:

Bump

Just wondering if the Sheriff's department responded. If not, this might take a bit of pushing to get them to respond, since it's been so long.

I wonder if Justin's murder case is Active, Inactive or Closed.

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kat For This Useful Post:

Justice for Justin

One thing each of us on this forum could do is send a note to the newspaper in Moncks Corner -- The Berkeley Independent -- to suggest they do an article on this infamous case.

The anniversary of the murder -- March 5, 1989 -- is coming up and would be a good time to run an article.

40. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dixierose For This Useful Post:

Link to Newspaper

Here's a link to Dan Brown the reporter at The Berkeley Independent
    http://www.journalscene.com/aboutus/#staffbios

42. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dixierose For This Useful Post:

new story

I wrote to Dan Brown and he is going to do a story on Justin in the March 2, 2011 issue of Berkley Independant. He needs to know if anyone knows the physical address of the place Justin was found.

44. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to scjustice For This Useful Post:

My deepest apologies. Multiple family emergencies have kept me from focusing on Justin's case. Here is the response from Wayne Dewitt.

Thanks so much for your e-mail and your interest in the unsolved Justin Turner case. We review the case file periodically to see if any new technology has been developed that could help break this tragic case. What we are facing, unfortunately, is the fact that there is very little physical evidence that had been preserved. However, that is not saying that the case can never be solved (just makes it more difficult). I will make it a point to review the case again very soon. As a concerned citizen, you have every right to ask questions and be afforded the opportunity to give insight into the case. I will be happy to meet with you and /or your friends in regards to the case if you wish.

Thanks again for your concern and interest.

H. Wayne DeWitt
    Sheriff
    Berkeley County

Also, I do have an address...kind of. LOL His home was on a small trail off the road and I think its a private drive with its own little name now. Let me see if I can link it or something. Thank you SCJustice!

ETA~ the name of the private drive with new owners is Little Acres Lane right off Horseshoe Road in Moncks Corner
    Last edited by 4BB; 01-30-2011 at 10:21 PM.

46. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to 4BB For This Useful Post:

http://server1.berkeleycountysc.gov/...apdetail=owner

lets see if this works and hopefully helps with some information.

48. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4BB For This Useful Post:

Another update from me....I wrote Sheriff Dewitt again to see what can be done. Can a grand jury be called to look into a case again?
    He was so open and forthcoming in his last email so I hope he can guide us a bit. I have 4 kids and little time to do much actual footwork but I can do a ton of deskwork from home. LOL

50. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to 4BB For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast