Kaine tells us about Terri and PPD - what role does it play in this case, if any?

eyes4crime

Go Chicago Bears!
Reaction score
He told WW the illness came on after the birth of their daughter K 19 months ago and lasted well over a year.

“As far as I’m concerned, probably up until a month or two before Kyron was gone — and then she could have been hiding it at that point,” Kaine Horman said.

**snip**

He said the illness manifested in rapid mood swings.

“It wasn’t anything that was overly violent in nature,” Horman said. “It was just really erratic types of swings, from being very emotional to suddenly being very frustrated.”

**snip**

I was just supposed to watch her closely for a six-month period, which I did do,” he said. “And after the six months, things seemed to be OK

**snip**

Sound like PPD began shortly after baby girl was born, treatment was started, and she showed symptoms of erratic behavior until a couple months ago? Did she go off her medication? How terrible for her...for everyone. moo

To read - click on first heading in "posted in" right under the picture.

PLEASE REMEMBER - do NOT USE MINOR'S NAME...BABY GIRL, BABY K ETC. THANKS

http://www.wweek.com/

Wow. PPD is a scary thing. Not an excuse, at all, but she could have done anything while under the influence of such a disorder. :(

AD medication would explain Terri's weight gain. Maybe she went off the meds in an effort to slim down and get back to body building and normalcy.

I'm really concerned why this was not mentioned by the family earlier. Their own guilt for not doing more? Anyone going through PPD not only needs meds and psych help but a good support system around them.

If she is still unwell, then 'ganging up' on her in public was not the smartest move, imo. Empathy and psych help from the beginning would have changed the direction of this case entirely.

Kaine doesn't know what type of medication she was on? Seriously? No wonder she was a mess!! That really pizzes me off. My hubby could tell you every psych med I've ever taken! And even what time I take them.

Theres also a contradiction from Kaine in the article:

He told WW the illness came on after the birth of their daughter K 19 months ago and lasted well over a year
As far as I’m concerned, probably up until a month or two before Kyron was gone — and then she could have been hiding it at that point,” Kaine Horman said.
I was just supposed to watch her closely for a six-month period, which I did do,” he said. “And after the six months, things seemed to be OK

So which is it? She was fine after 6 months, 12 months or 17 months?
What the article doesn't state, was if Desiree knew about the PPD. If she did, I cannot comprehend her actions.

This changes EVERYTHING!

It doesn't condone anything, but explains a lot!

Also brings up the question....if she was still on meds, or re-instated on meds after kyron went missing, did that affect her poly?

But playing devils advocate a lil bit here, I would think if someone was that ill, and under so much scrutiny, with bio-parents straight out blaming her, that she would have harmed herself in the last month.
Who knows. She might have, and it was swept under the carpet too.

...Horman said he’s not sure what type of medication his wife was on or when she stopped taking it

~~snip~~

He didn't know??? How can that be? Did Terri take the medication long enough? And if she stopped, was it abrupt or did she wean off slowly.

Wish we knew about this early on. I think it could have everything to do with what has happened. moo

She could have hidden the severity of the PPD. Some people can do that, even if they are clinically depressed. After six months, she could have acted more "normal" and he could have assumed she was doing a bit better. Maybe not 100% like before the baby was born but maybe after six months she was doing quite a bit better than she was in the first few weeks and months after K's birth.

IMO, a lot of women are so mad at themselves for having PPD, to any degree, that they do their best at hiding it and only make it worse on themselves and possibly their babies. :(

I'm curious as to what AD she was on. I don't care if she weaned or went cold turkey (the latter being a bad idea, but regardless..). I'm just curious as to what she was on. If it were a regular AD like Zoloft or something they give people with BPD (bipolar disorder), which certain BPD drugs are prescribed for PPD sometimes (in more severe cases)?

A lot of OBs handle women and their PPD, as do general practitioners. I think they could sometimes (easily) miss when this is a case of PTSD or PPP (postpartum psychosis - very rare, but possible). So, for no real reason other than I am nosy, I am curious to know who prescribed the medications to her as well. And WHO instructed Kaine to keep an eye on her? Was it just something he opted to do or? *scratching head*

A BIG OLE' MOO TO THIS ENTIRE POST OF MINE!

Kaine Horman, father of missing 7-year-old Kyron Horman, told WW in an interview tonight Kyron’s stepmom suffered from post-partum depression and may have been hiding it when the boy disappeared.

~~snip~~

Hiding it? So maybe the medication was working, she stopped and had a relapse - before anyone saw symptoms? How tragic! :eek:

I wonder if Terri is hospitalized right now? Could be the reason we haven't heard from her or her lawyer.

Why are we just finding out about this now??? Was it a secret of some kind?

Kaine Horman, father of missing 7-year-old Kyron Horman, told WW in an interview tonight Kyron’s stepmom suffered from post-partum depression and may have been hiding it when the boy disappeared.

~~snip~~

Hiding it? So maybe the medication was working, she stopped and had a relapse - before anyone saw symptoms? How tragic! :eek:

Was she hiding it, or did he ignore it? As someone who has those same erratic mood swings every single month (PMDD), I can tell you there is no way to hide it entirely.

Depression is easy to hide. Mood swings are not, imo.

“It wasn’t anything that was overly violent in nature,” Horman said. “It was just really erratic types of swings, from being very emotional to suddenly being very frustrated.”

Nothing overly violent?
Where is Kyron in all this?
Now I'm thinking the worst.

She could have hidden the severity of the PPD. Some people can do that, even if they are clinically depressed. After six months, she could have acted more "normal" and he could have assumed she was doing a bit better. Maybe not 100% like before the baby was born but maybe after six months she was doing quite a bit better than she was in the first few weeks and months after K's birth.

IMO, a lot of women are so mad at themselves for having PPD, to any degree, that they do their best at hiding it and only make it worse on themselves and possibly their babies. :(

I'm curious as to what AD she was on. I don't care if she weaned or went cold turkey (the latter being a bad idea, but regardless..). I'm just curious as to what she was on. If it were a regular AD like Zoloft or something they give people with BPD (bipolar disorder), which certain BPD drugs are prescribed for PPD sometimes (in more severe cases)?

A lot of OBs handle women and their PPD, as do general practitioners. I think they could sometimes (easily) miss when this is a case of PTSD or PPP (postpartum psychosis - very rare, but possible). So, for no real reason other than I am nosy, I am curious to know who prescribed the medications to her as well. And WHO instructed Kaine to keep an eye on her? Was it just something he opted to do or? *scratching head*

A BIG OLE' MOO TO THIS ENTIRE POST OF

MINE!

BBM (bolded by me)

I'm going to have to disagree with you on stopping abruptly. When ever a medication crosses the blood brain barrier and changes our neurotransmitters we can't just 'stop' the medication. It's like slamming on the brakes. The withdrawal from doing that is terrible - throat can start to close, tremors, heart pounds, dizzy, might sweat, can't make sense of surroundings.

Of course the severity depends on how long a person has been on the medication and what med it is. Antidepressants are notorious for such symptoms. Weaning off slowly, a little at a time, gives our body and brain time to adjust. Hopefully, her Dr. and pharmacist told her not to ever abruptly stop. I'm sure it's also on the label. moo mho

I have to admit something. I had my boy in 1985. The AIDS epidemic was in full blown and not a lot was known about it and it was always fatal. I had lived in Los Angeles and dated a man I found out later was bi. After that I got married and pregnant. With all the news about AIDS coming out I became obsessed that I had it and would give it to my baby. I don't even know if there was a test yet for it. After he was born I was terrified that because of my bad choices my baby was going to suffer. I honestly thought I had gotten it from being with a bi man and passed it to my son. I started making plans to kill myself and the baby. I was going to park in the garage and turn the car on. I told no one, I was so ashamed. I felt like I was a bad person and didn't deserve such a wonderful baby and because of me he was going to suffer and die. This went on for a while before I could finally talk to my doctor about it. He assured me that chances of me having contracted the virus was very low even though I had unprotected sex. He educated me about the disease and why he was sure I didn't have it. I was afraid he would lock me up I was so fearful.
The bottom line is that after a while and due to educating myself I eventually stopped being obsesses and fearful. I don't remember if he had given medication, he might have. The point is my thinking was out of control irrational and because of my shame I kept it hiden. Thank God I never carried out my plans but I loved my baby too much. I was just fearful that I had condemned him to a terrible disease and we would both die. It seemed perfectly rational at the time. It did pass once I was aware that I had no signs and I allowed reality to come into the picture.
The point I am trying to make is how difficult PPD is. I think I may have even passed into PPP because my thinking was so irrational. I could have hurt myself and my baby if I didn't get help. It was only a few weeks thank God but I can understand how that can affect an otherwise normal person. Looking back I couldn't believe how consumed with fear I was over something that was very unlikely to happen.
If Terri had PPD or worse PPP I can see her becoming fixated on Kyron and maybe she felt there was something evil about him that she had to eliminate. I have heard other woman say they killed their baby because they were sure it was possessed by the devil or would go to hell. Terri didn't focus on her own child though but she may have focused on Kyron and a real threat to her baby. She might have convinced herself that he was dangerous and would hurt her baby if she didn't do something. I can see how it twists you mind and make you believe straight out lies and feel like you are the only one to fix this. My experience happened a few weeks after my baby was born but I can see how it could continue on, especially if she were feeding into it.
I am thinking Kaine is handing Terri a defense right on a silver platter for whatever reason. He may feel guilty for not doing more or helping more of leaving with the kids. It sounds like he is a lot of pain right now.
I'm not excusing anything Terri may have done because of these problems. She still has to be accountable for her actions. I just think that maybe Terri wasn't in control and wasn't able to get in control and had to listen to the voices that convince you to do something evil in order to protect your baby. God help her.

Eyes - since you're our resident pharmacist, can you tell me if SSRIs are often prescribed for TX of PPD? TIA!

I'm not buying this bit of news, but I'm glad I read the comments from the link.

Eyes - since you're our resident pharmacist, can you tell me if SSRIs are often prescribed for TX of PPD? TIA!

Hi sorrell - I've seen SSRI's given for PPD. I know what you are thinking - in some it can cause a worsening of suicidal ideation or may result in lashing out to others. Especially in children (has a black box warning). Can cause severe agitation and increase anger. Very important for us to know what medication she was taking. moo

ETA: Hopefully Terri was being monitored for symptoms and if anger/agitation occurred, she was switched to another AD. Some adverse reactions and side effects are rare but when they happen to you it's 100%. moo

How can you hide depression from your spouse??? I know I can hide a lot of moods from coworkers, friends, etc. But my spouse can definitely tell when I'm not myself. His statements make me think he was either in complete denial or their marriage was in such trouble that he was oblivious to her moods.

I wanted to add that if Terri had PPD or PPP and that is the reason she did what she did they Kyron is most likely not alive. If she had fantasies about a life without him she could have given him to Desiree to raise. She probably had fantasies about a world without him to threaten her child and marriage.

Wow...this could be them giving SM kinda a heads up that they knew she was sick. I have taken AD for PPD and they try to wean you off fairly quickly. Insurance doesn't want to pay for them after 6 months and want you to go to therapy to deal with your problems. At least this was the case with my insurance. I wonder if she was seeing a therapist. If not, maybe this would have helped. My husband probably couldn't tell you what medication I was on, but if there was an investigation he'd certainly try to find out! He'd probably be able to identify it if someone said it by name which was Effexor. I feel so bad for Kyron. If she is responsible, which remains to be seen of course, I hope that things weren't horrible for him. I hope he had no idea.

This case is like taking a trip down the Yellow Brick Road with a real cast of characters. Right now, I don't know what I believe.

If Terri was breast feeding that would make a difference as to what AD she was put on. Most AD are excreted in the breast milk, some just a little, and some not at all. Wonder what AD she was on? moo

This is seriously messed up. IDK what else to say.

http://blogs.wweek.com/news/2010/07/08/kaine-horman-kyrons-stepmom-suffered-post-partum-depression/

“As far as I’m concerned, probably up until a month or two before Kyron was gone — and then she could have been hiding it at that point,” Kaine Horman said.

Horman said he’s not sure what type of medication his wife was on or when she stopped taking it.

How does one hide "erratic mood swings"? As a female who has experienced the wonderful effects of PMS over the years and now the joys of peri-menopause, I will be the first to testify (and my family members will agree lol) that mood swings are not something that can simply be hidden. We're sometimes at the mercy of our endocrine systems, even when we're completely healthy.

And I agree with others who have said if he was "supposed to watch her closely for a six-month period" why didn't he know what medication she was prescribed? IMO, part of watching someone closely who is ill is making sure they take their medication so that they get well.

This stinks. I need to open a few windows to let some air in.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back