Methods of putting pressure on a POI (aka "strategy")

JenB

Reaction score
If this is being discussed elsewhere, please move the thread as you see fit.

Given KH and DY's long pause when asked about possible accomplices, I wonder if some of their media strategy isn't geared toward another person, in addition to Terri.

It stood out to me that The Oregonian and Willamette Week were two publications pointed out as not "playing nice," and were asked to leave press conferences last week... but it appears KH is giving exclusive interviews to these pubs this week. I wonder if last week's shunning of these outlets was part of a plan that's no longer necessary.

Because the media strategy employed in this case is so different that what I've seen before, I wonder if a discussion of it might provide a useful case study for the future. I've seen people posting about new strategies being used in this case, as though there is a new standard being rolled out to LE for use in dealing with the media in missing persons cases -- is this part of it?

Again, if this thread is inappropriate please move it -- it's my first new thread and I'm nervous!

If this is being discussed elsewhere, please move the thread as you see fit.

Given KH and DY's long pause when asked about possible accomplices, I wonder if some of their media strategy isn't geared toward another person, in addition to Terri.

It stood out to me that The Oregonian and Willamette Week were two publications pointed out as not "playing nice," and were asked to leave press conferences last week... but it appears KH is giving exclusive interviews to these pubs this week. I wonder if last week's shunning of these outlets was part of a plan that's no longer necessary.

Because the media strategy employed in this case is so different that what I've seen before, I wonder if a discussion of it might provide a useful case study for the future. I've seen people posting about new strategies being used in this case, as though there is a new standard being rolled out to LE for use in dealing with the media in missing persons cases -- is this part of it?

Again, if this thread is inappropriate please move it -- it's my first new thread and I'm nervous!

Oh Jen you little sweetie you did great with a first thread IMO.
I would love to know what LE's "strategy" is. It appears that Terri is following In Casey and Mistys footsteps and just clamming up and saying NOTHING. I pray LE has secret tricks to use on peeps who just will not talk. I see on TV shows how cops work and work on people until they break. In the little bit of presser I got to see yesterday some LE officer said Terri is no longer cooperating and by that he said he meant she is not calling them with helpful info. I hope they are not "waiting" for her to call them, FGS.
That ain't gonna happen IMO> I know she has lawyered up, but can't they still call her to come in (with her atty) and question her, lay out the evidence they have and show her that all points to her, implore upon her to do the right thing....let her know shes screwed anyway and is going to be going away to jail, eventually, for quite awhile so she is gaining nothing by not telling the location of Kyron. Maybe give her some kindof "deal" (as much as I hate to say that) to tell them where this child is so his family can have closure.
She has ruined her life, surely she knows that. Theres no un-doing what shes done, she has lost her baby forever and her oldest son probably has zero respect for her, she surely must know that. She is at a point where shes painted herself into a corner and the only way out is to be honest and co-operate with LE. Hopefully her lawyer is advising her the same thing. There's no way shes getting "out of this" I don;t care how good her atty is.

I don't know what she thinks she is gaining by sitting in KAINES house and saying and doing nothing. Does she think she can hole up there forever and this will just "go away"? I think she needs a serious check-up from the neck-up, she can't be mentally "right".

These are my thoughts right now and JMO.

abbie

This is part of a post that I made last night on another thread:

I believe that LE has moved very stealthfully in this delicate family situation, and I think that they are slowly, but surely, backing Terri into a corner. She will eventually find herself in a trap of her own making and will either give up Kyron's location or take her own life. I'm sure that we would all prefer the former so that Kyron can be brought home, hopefully alive and well, because the latter would not benefit anyone. jmo

JenB, I almost started a thread last night with this very same topic and got busy and forgot! Thank you - great first thread! :wink:

I'm looking forward to the discussion!

I believe that LE has moved very stealthfully in this delicate family situation, and I think that they are slowly, but surely, backing Terri into a corner. She will eventually find herself in a trap of her own making and will either give up Kyron's location or take her own life. I'm sure that we would all prefer the former so that Kyron can be brought home, hopefully alive and well, because the latter would not benefit anyone. jmo

I agree that they're backing Terri into a corner, but I don't think they've been all that slow or stealthy about it.

From what we know, DY suspected her from the beginning. LE suspected her from the beginning. She was interrogated, polygraphed more than once, and her property and vehicles searched. There have been leaks that had to come from LE. A questionnaire was sent out primarily about her whereabouts the day Kyron went missing. DY and KH have publicly accused her of lying/not cooperating. She was the object of an undercover sting. Her husband has left her, filed for divorce, and taken their baby, a restraining order has been issued against her, and she'll likely be forced out of the family home.

This morning on the early show they both said they wouldn't be surprised if someone else is involved. In fact they hoped there was because that could mean Kyron was being taken care of by someone.

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=6661870n&tag=related;photovideo

If someone else is involved and Terri is aware of it insofar as she cooperated with the accomplice to abduct Kyron, and Kyron is alive, then I firmly believe Terri removed him from the home in a misguided attempt to protect him from something or someone.

I pray she HAS an accomplice IF Terrie was indeed involved with Kyron's disappearance. Because if not, after all the pressure and SCRUTINY from us, press, family, LE, if she acted alone in some sort attempt to hold Kyron away from his father, then that would suggest that she has been unable to check on/care for little Kyron for weeks now.

If she is involved I humbly pray she has an accomplice whois seeing to Kyron's phsyical well being.

If someone else is involved and Terri is aware of it insofar as she cooperated with the accomplice to abduct Kyron, and Kyron is alive, then I firmly believe Terri removed him from the home in a misguided attempt to protect him from something or someone.

Interesting thought cypress. But couldn't she just as easily gone to authorities if she suspected there was pending harm to Kyron. Certainly she could have saved him and hersef and her reputation.
However, with the news of her trying to set up a hit on her husband, if Terri did something to hurt or hide Kyron, she did it out of revenge or to hurt her husband and perhaps Kyron's mother. JMO

I doubt that any specific angle of media coverage is used by law enforcement as any major strategy here. Maybe some leaks happened early on, I doubt it had anything to do with an orchestrated attempted to make Terri crack. The police and news reporters have a give and take relationship for mutual benefit. Maybe it was just one officer's turn to give, instead of take.

Law enforcement did try to make her not a suspect in public opinion early on. I guess it could be that they were hoping she would slip up, and do something incriminating while she felt that she wasn't being watched.

After Kaine filed for divorce and requested a restraining order, why he did those things was bound to come out. I think after the cat was out of the bag, there was no reason for his parents not to acknowledge to reporters their feelings and suspicions.

I don't think law enforcement put them up to it. I just don't see how anybody would think putting this woman into a pressure cooker would be best for Kyron, if he is still alive, and if she is responsible.

I can understand putting the heat on if its a fugitive, to force someone confess participation in a crime, or to do something incriminating under surveillance, if its only the perpetrator they are dealing with. But I -highly- doubt that would be a method used to smoke out a person responsible for hiding or handing off an abducted child. It would be too risky. People are way too unpredictable in extremely high stress situations. To me, it doesn't make sense.

Amen, Bette. I totally agree. I hope she does not take her life because we may never find Kyron, just like poor Trenton Duckett. With her parents staying with her maybe that is keeping her from doing anything desperate, like suicide or fleeing. I hope LE has a car parked at the end of her drive, or in her drive, and she isn't getting out of their sight even for a second. She's got to be feeling intimidated, if shes capable of any 'normal' feelings.

How about the strategy of NOT putting pressue on a POI?

If the focus is on Terri, and the public tends to already believe, generally speaking, that the she is part of the reason Kyron is missing, wouldn't that allow LE to more readily investigate the real abductor?

I suppose there is not necessarily "one" investigation going on anyway. Parallel investigations, different theories, all being built or eliminated.

Where is Kyron?

I pray she HAS an accomplice IF Terrie was indeed involved with Kyron's disappearance. Because if not, after all the pressure and SCRUTINY from us, press, family, LE, if she acted alone in some sort attempt to hold Kyron away from his father, then that would suggest that she has been unable to check on/care for little Kyron for weeks now.

If she is involved I humbly pray she has an accomplice whois seeing to Kyron's phsyical well being.

BBM that would be the answer to everyone's prayers. Someone posted last night they envisioned a press conference, Kaine and Desiree and Tony and Baby K, and Kyron standing on a milk crate to make him taller, all of them together, happy and alive, and when you get that vision in your mind, it really puts some gladness in your heart. At least it did for me.

I doubt that any specific angle of media coverage is used by law enforcement as any major strategy here. Maybe some leaks happened early on, I doubt it had anything to do with an orchestrated attempted to make Terri crack. The police and news reporters have a give and take relationship for mutual benefit. Maybe it was just one officer's turn to give, instead of take.

Law enforcement did try to make her not a suspect in public opinion early on. I guess it could be that they were hoping she would slip up, and do something incriminating while she felt that she wasn't being watched.

After Kaine filed for divorce and requested a restraining order, why he did those things was bound to come out. I think after the cat was out of the bag, there was no reason for his parents not to acknowledge to reporters their feelings and suspicions.

I don't think law enforcement put them up to it. I just don't see how anybody would think putting this woman into a pressure cooker would be best for Kyron, if he is still alive, and if she is responsible.

I can understand putting the heat on if its a fugitive, to force someone confess participation in a crime, or to do something incriminating under surveillance, if its only the perpetrator they are dealing with. But I -highly- doubt that would be a method used to smoke out a person responsible for hiding or handing off an abducted child. It would be too risky. People are way too unpredictable in extremely high stress situations. To me, it doesn't make sense.

It doesn't feel to me like anyone else is involved, I don;t feel like she has an accomplice, but thats just my personal feeling and I realize I could be way off. I wish, if they feel she had help and Kyron is still alive out there being cared for, they would plead to whoever has him to drop him off somewhere, a hospital, anywhere safe, and let him retur to his family. They can worry about vcatching any accomplice later. All that matters now is getting Kyron back to his family, preferably alive, but if not, back to his family for closure.
JMO

I guess Desiree finally admitted what I have thought all along...that they have to hope TH has an accomplice in order for hope to remain for Kyron. That is telling me, as I felt from the first time D spoke, that they do not have any "inside info" on Kyron being held someplace unknown to all. It is simply a desperate need to believe that he could be alive and well, and it is very sad that their only hope is that some wacko Terri hooked up with has their child.

I don't think LE is telling the parents what to say; I think the weeks of pressure have built up and they are erupting.

I believe since the FBI is involved that there are profilers directing every statement and every media "leak".

Everyone wants Kyron back and they certainly aren't going to do anything that would compromise it. To imagine that Desiree or Kaine would risk their child's life just get some story out there seems ludicrous to me.

Would you shoot from the hip if profilers , FBI and LE were advising you?

I believe since the FBI is involved that there are profilers directing every statement and every media "leak".

Everyone wants Kyron back and they certainly aren't going to do anything that would compromise it. To imagine that Desiree or Kaine would risk their child's life just get some story out there seems ludicrous to me.

Would you shoot from the hip if profilers , FBI and LE were advising you?

I have to wonder what they plan to do next to apply more pressure.

It doesn't feel to me like anyone else is involved, I don;t feel like she has an accomplice, but thats just my personal feeling and I realize I could be way off. I wish, if they feel she had help and Kyron is still alive out there being cared for, they would plead to whoever has him to drop him off somewhere, a hospital, anywhere safe, and let him retur to his family. They can worry about vcatching any accomplice later. All that matters now is getting Kyron back to his family, preferably alive, but if not, back to his family for closure.
JMO

I agree. Having someone hold a child to later be released defies all logic. Involving unnecessary people which could later incriminate her also defies logic.

I hate typing out these words... but I feel that if blessed Kyron is still alive, its because she sold him knowing she would never again know of his safety or whereabouts (and I feel that is improbable), or a real stranger danger abduction. And we all know the statistics of what happens to a child within the first few hours of that happening. I pray for his safe return, but its difficult to remain optimistic. That was my first gut reaction. My second reaction was thinking that with all the confusion over doctor appointments, an unorganized school day due to the fair, no working security cameras... someone has set up a huge lawsuit to Skyline Elementary.

I have to wonder what they plan to do next to apply more pressure.

I have a few ideas but unfortunately none of them are legal in this country.
It infuriates me she is sitting silent about this and not doing the right thing. If she is not mentally messed up, then she is just plain evil to put those poor people through this. I have so much empathy for poor DY and KH, it makes my heart ache.

... My second reaction was thinking that with all the confusion over doctor appointments, an unorganized school day due to the fair, no working security cameras... someone has set up a huge lawsuit to Skyline Elementary.

Respectfully edited. At the risk of sounding like a broken record (those of you who are old enough know what this means :D), I will repeat what I've said previously on a couple of threads.

If I were a parent who had a child/children at Skyline, I'd be getting very nervous about when and if there will be an arrest in this case. Unless there is some sound evidence that there isn't a child predator on the loose who abducted Kyron from the safety of his elementary school, I would be reluctant to send my child to Skyline come September (or whenever school starts in Portland).

The clock is ticking, and I hope that LE realizes that they have to assure the Skyline community that their children are not in danger because it is believed that this was a "family" situation gone bad. Without that reassurance, many parents are probably going to think twice about the safety of this close-knit school community. jmo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back