Man, 89, accused of shoplifting diarrhea medicine is cleared

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
VENICE -- Shoplifting charges have been dropped against an 89-year-old Venice resident who was accused of walking out of a local store with a box of diarrhea medicine stashed in his pocket.

George Lott was taken to jail in handcuffs June 28 from the Kash n' Karry on U.S. 41 Bypass.

The state attorney's office dropped the charges against him soon after speaking to Lott's doctor.

Lott's wife, who entered the store with him and was to meet him at the checkout counter, said he'd forgotten that he had put the box in his pocket.

She said her husband had suffered two strokes and was in the early stages of Alzheimer's.

On Thursday, Lucille Lott said well-wishers keep making her husband relive a painful memory each time they call the Lott home for an update.

"I got two yesterday, and look how long it's been," she said.

The Venice Police Department, which took public criticism for the arrest, did not return a call for comment.

Lucille Lott denies that her husband ever tried to leave the store.

She said she still can't quite forgive the way he was treated by police and by the Kash n' Karry management.

"The worst part is, I could have been a block of wood standing there; nobody asked me a thing," she said. "I will not go there even if my life depended on it. And it's my favorite store."

http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2004407300694

The police really should not have arrested him. I have an uncle who is in the early stages of Alzheimer's and he does some really wacky things. :(

the officer certainly had some discretion here. that was disgusting. poor guy. :(

lisad71 said:
The police really should not have arrested him. I have an uncle who is in the early stages of Alzheimer's and he does some really wacky things. :(

I know Darlin, but they don't have a choice in the matter. Its not their job to diagnose people who shoplift. Remember that case here in Dallas where a great grandmother was arrested and cuffed (I think it was a driving offense and maybe she didn't have a license or registration or something). Anyway, they HAD to arrest her and they HAD to cuff her. She went on The Today Show and everything. She was a celebrity!! Anyway, the cops can get into trouble if they don't go by the book.

I would have thought the manager of the store could have NOT called them in the first place. At least I wouldn't have called the cops. Its not like he had a $5,000 watch in his pocket for crying out loud!!

I dont mean to be crass, my grandmother had final stage alzheimers, it was awful. but - man stealing diarrhea medicine was :laugh: CLEARED - that is just too funny not to comment on. I read the title of this thread and almost sprayed my computer with Diet Coke.

OK, sorry :doh:

Jeana (DP) said:
I know Darlin, but they don't have a choice in the matter. Its not their job to diagnose people who shoplift. Remember that case here in Dallas where a great grandmother was arrested and cuffed (I think it was a driving offense and maybe she didn't have a license or registration or something). Anyway, they HAD to arrest her and they HAD to cuff her. She went on The Today Show and everything. She was a celebrity!! Anyway, the cops can get into trouble if they don't go by the book.

I would have thought the manager of the store could have NOT called them in the first place. At least I wouldn't have called the cops. Its not like he had a $5,000 watch in his pocket for crying out loud!!
Jeana, you are right about that! The officers usually don't have much choice in the matter. Just check out this article about the "marshmellow" lady.

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/news/strange/062104_ap_sn_marshmellows.html

My sweety is an officer at this location and he was so happy he was off that day because wouldn't want to be the one to make the arrest. This particular arrest was at the direction of the U.S. Marshalls because the park where this happened at was a national park, therefore, it became a federal issue.

"Leg shackles"???? Jesus!!! What was that cop thinking about? I mean handcuffs sure, but leg shackles for leaving out your marshmellows! :loser:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back