TN TN - Kathy Jones, 12, Nashville, 29 Nov 1969 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

southern_scout

Reaction score
I couldn't find a thread on her, but we get this "newspaper" with old Nashville news stories, and Kathy Jones was on the cover. I was reading her case and thought someone might be interested in her.

Here is a snip from her story:

http://www.newschannel5.com/global/story.asp?s=10774294

Kathy Jones left her home on Ludy Street November 29, 1969 to go roller skating. The 12-year-old walked up to the rink on Thompson Lane, but she never made it.

"Whether she made it to the skating rink or not we do not know," said Miller.

Two days later someone found her body in a field behind the Krispy Kreme on Thompson Lane.

She was gagged, bound and sexually assaulted. Jones suffocated from a sock stuffed in her mouth.

Another article on Kathy from The Nashville Scene:

http://www.nashvillescene.com/nashville/a-killing-a-search-a-suspect/Content?oid=1182733

It seems like there is some information in those files. I am surprised it hasn't been solved in all these years. Thinking about you tonight, Kathy.

It's no coincidence those 2 comments at the end of that article are there Those 2 sound like they are hurt by the predator, themselves

Hi everyone.

I am Kathy Jones's cousin. I am NOT the cousin that commented on one of the linked articles, just to be clear about that.

I know it looks like no one cares about Kathy, but we love her. However, many people in my family have died. Everyone I can think of that really knew anything about this case has died.

Some of the information I have conflicts with some comments by other family members. I am not sure which one of us is right because there is no one left to ask who would know for certain. For example, the man they discuss.. I have a different last name for him. I don't know if there are two Darryls or what the deal is with that. Some people feel he is not the one, but I don't know why the conflict of opinions (these would be people who actually knew him to some degree). Other people believe absolutely he is. I really do not know what to think.

I know the police arrested one of the suspects for some more minor charge (not related to Kathy) and had an informer in the holding cell with him to see if he said anything. Apparently, they didn't find out anything because they weren't able to arrest him for Kathy.

Kathy's mother Nora died quite a few years ago. Her father also died. Her grandmother and all of her aunts and uncles have died. Her younger brother died. Her great aunts and uncles have died. Some of her cousins have died.

Kathy's mother Nora had two sisters Linda and Faye. They were all very close. They were sweet and kind people, but tended to get stressed. Being questioned through the years to go over the same details of the case was very hard on them because they did not really understand the police were hoping to find a new detail. Unfortunately, none of them really knew anything more than they had said (as far as I know, but I will say they were not the types of conceal information... so, I feel certain they said everything they knew). All three of these women experienced ill health and died before their time. I would not be surprised if the heartbreak over Kathy had something to do with it.

So, then the police began to question Kathy's younger brother Kelly. Now, he was very young when Kathy died. But, I guess he was the only person they had. However, this was very difficult on Kelly because he had a young daughter about Kathy's age by then. I do not know if he remembered anything about Kathy's murder because he was only a baby. I think they were hoping someone had told him something and if he could remember that person then maybe they'd have a new source of information.

So, the police worked the case. But, the people they had to question honestly had very little information. Kathy left one day and did not come home. Nora called the police to report Kathy missing when Kathy didn't come home on time. The police thought at first she was with "a little boyfriend". But, she was really too young for that. And she was a good girl who would not have worried her mother so much with her mother at home with a baby. So, there was a delay getting started on her case. I don't know how long of a delay. I am sure for Nora it seemed like an extremely long time because her daughter was missing.

The person who had Kathy kept her for a while. My father was told by a "nurse" (I do not know who this person was, but she examined Kathy's body) that Kathy had been "beaten by someone with big fists". My father was really bothered by this, obviously, because who could beat up a little girl? Even worse, they had to break Kathy's legs to put her in the coffin. I hope that is not too horrible to mention. But, I grew up knowing that.

A man claimed he'd killed Kathy when he threatened a little boy. I do not know the man's name or the boy's name. I do know the boy got away from the man and went and told his parents. His parents called the police and the man was investigated. The man had some connection to the skating rink, but I do not know what.

Anyway, I know I am hardly a fount of information. But, I wanted to join so people would know why the information on Kathy is so skimpy. I will try to find out more.

This is an extremely painful subject in my family. People are honestly heartbroken to this day about our Kathy.

Here is an article from 2009 about three cold case murders of young girls. Wanda June Anderson (died 1965), Reba Kay Green (1966), and Kathy Jones (1969). The article talks about the police trying to finally solve these cases using DNA evidence.

http://www.newschannel5.com/global/story.asp?s=10774294

Here are some people discussing the above article including a niece of Kathy's as well as a niece of a friend of Kathy's (the friend's name was Sherry). Other people talk about their memories of the case and Kathy.

One woman says that a man approached several girls including Kathy. However, she thought Kathy died in 1965 and Kathy's murder was definitely in 1969. So, I'm not sure if she only has the years confused or if she is thinking of someone other than Kathy.

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/nashville-tn/TAPAQ4326OV40R0OL

Thank you to the people who are reading.

An article from 2012 about Wanda, Reba, and Kathy.

Here is a quote from the article that pertains to Kathy:

""Kathy Jones was reported missing on Nov. 29, and her body was found Dec. 2, 1969," Postiglione said.

Twelve-year-old Kathy headed off for the roller rink but never made it there.

"She was found in the alley on Grandview Avenue in a vacant lot with her roller skates still with her," Postiglione said.

Officers found the girl bound, gagged and sexually assaulted.

Police later arrested Edward Adcox, a convicted rapist, who they said bragged to other inmates about killing her, but the case fell apart when he changed his story."

Here is the link to the article:
http://www.wsmv.com/story/19024068/cold-case-detectives-seek-publics-help-in-grisly-killings

Those roller skates just haunt me. Someone in our family gave them to her. They were handmedowns, but in very nice condition. I believe this was going to be her first time to use them.

Nora had given her some money to get refreshments and Kathy had her new (to her) skates. It should have been a fun trip.

One of the police officers talked about seeing her little white skates there beside her...

I am having trouble finding accurate information about Kathy. Some people in my family were afraid to talk about her. They loved her, but had a lot of fear associated with her murder. All of them are now deceased.

Those roller skates just haunt me. Someone in our family gave them to her. They were handmedowns, but in very nice condition. I believe this was going to be her first time to use them.

Nora had given her some money to get refreshments and Kathy had her new (to her) skates. It should have been a fun trip.

One of the police officers talked about seeing her little white skates there beside her...

Not my immediate family. Just one of Kathy's cousins. This is in case someone from my family turns up.

I just remembered, I have driven down the main road Kathy would have been walking on that day. This was many years later and the road had been widened considerably. However, a few things would be the same.

On one side, there was a subdivision with roads connecting for the houses. Kathy lived in one of these houses. On the other side, there was one road intersecting before Kathy would have gone onto the road. So, she wouldn't have passed it. The rest of the side of the road, there is nothing until the main intersection (where she was going).

Therefore, it is almost certain that whomever did this had a vehicle of some kind. There was really no convenient place for a pedestrian or bicyclist to drag her off to quick enough that she couldn't have screamed or something.

The police were apparently shaking down cab drivers after this happened.

Then later, there was talk of a blue truck.

I think there are two theories...
1. someone quickly dragged Kathy into a vehicle and drove aaway with her
2. someone Kathy was acquainted with offered her a ride and she accepted.

One reason Kathy might have accepted a ride is she didn't have that long before she was expected home. However, she didn't hitchhike or anything like that, so it would have to be someone she knew. There were some cab drivers in her neighborhood.

Also, it is absolutely true that Darrell drove a cab.

Kathy Jones left her home on Ludy Street November 29, 1969 to go roller skating. The 12-year-old walked up to the rink on Thompson Lane, but she never made it.

"Whether she made it to the skating rink or not we do not know," said Miller.

Two days later someone found her body in a field behind the Krispy Kreme on Thompson Lane.

BBM
(Miller is with Nashville police... I thought it was known Kathy didn't make it to the skating rink, but I remember stories as if maybe she did.. so IDK how that happened and I guess no one does... or no one who will say which is a shame.)

Information quoted above is from here:
http://www.newschannel5.com/Global/story.asp?S=10774294

Here is a post on the Marcia Trimble Solved thread that is about Kathy.

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - SOLVED TN - Marcia Trimble, 9, Girl Scout abducted/killed delivering cookies Nashville, 1975

quoted from that post (this isn't the complete post):
she was found across the street from, what use to be, the old RollerDrome up on Thompson Lane.....the girl had left the skating rink & was found dead in some weeds, i believe, behind the Krispy Kreme there.....trying to think of the details...i believe a sock was found stuffed in her mouth...anyway, i was a kid when it happened, & i remember feeling really scared hearing folks discuss it....not sure if it was ever solved, but maybe it was....my Daddy was one of the cops on the scene when they found her....

Another post from that thread with more information about Kathy. I do not know who this person is her father is talking about. I didn't live around there, ever. So, I don't know that much about this neighborhood and was only ever there long after Kathy died.

Here's the link and the quote:

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - SOLVED TN - Marcia Trimble, 9, Girl Scout abducted/killed delivering cookies Nashville, 1975

"Jones" is right....Daddy said her name was Kathy Jones, & no one's ever been charged w/her murder.....he said there was a person of interest way back then, but could never get anything on the guy to arrest him...some weird guy that hung around the area...the Shoneys up the street & at the skating rink....wonder if that was the creepy step-uncle?

Just in case anyone who knows something ever reads this thread, here is where to call:

Nashville Police Department's Crime Stoppers Division anonymously at (615) 74-CRIME [742-7463].

I'm sorry about your Kathy. :( I hope anyone who has info will be forthcoming in the future. Rest in peace, Kathy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 2

T4Tide, thank you for the nice post. She has many family members buried near her now, so maybe that helps her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
archangel78100