Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CA - Baker - Female (UP 7384), 25-65, Burned Body @ Zzyzx Road Near I-15, July'10

CA - Baker - Female (UP 7384), 25-65, Burned Body @ Zzyzx Road Near I-15, July'10

MOJAVE DESERT
    Human remains discovered off 15 Freeway
    Human remains were found Saturday in the Mojave Desert, according to the San Bernardino County coroner's office.
    The bones were discovered west of the 15 Freeway near Zzyzx Road.
    The coroner will examine the remains to determine the identity and cause of death.
    Anyone with information can contact the San Bernardino County Sheriff
    Advertisement

Department 909-387-3589, or 1-800-78-CRIME.

http://www.contracostatimes.com/cali...nclick_check=1
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 03-21-2013 at 09:51 PM.

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to RubyRed For This Useful Post:

That's the infamous Zzyzx road to nowhere.

I am sure that there are plenty more sets of bones out there.
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 07-12-2010 at 02:56 AM.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CarlK90245 For This Useful Post:

Here is a Google map showing Zzyzx road.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=zzyzx+...84836&t=h&z=11

As you can see, it is an extremely desolate area, and is an ideal place to exit the main highway unnoticed. It is even more so than the other nearby offramps because it is surrounded by hills that block the view of the road from highway 15, so a car exiting from the main highway is hidden from view shortly after exiting.

With other offramps in the area (e.g., Basin Rd and Cima Road), it's fairly flat (with mountains in the distance) and from the main highway, you can see miles of road heading out into the desert. Hwy 15 Northeast of Zzyzx road is where the long descent into Nevada begins. The unique name also makes it the first place to come to mind when someone is thinking of places to go to dump a body.

One can't help but think when driving Hwy 15 and seeing the sign for the Zzyzx road offramp, that there must be a lot of bodies out there.

I have mentioned on another thread that every time that I drive by the Zzyzx Rd offramp, I think that it would be a great place to take a cadaver dog for a walk .

6. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to CarlK90245 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CarlK90245 View Post

As you can see, it is an extremely desolate area, and is an ideal place to exit the main highway unnoticed. It is even more so than the other nearby offramps because it is surrounded by hills that block the view of the road from highway 15, so a car exiting from the main highway is hidden from view shortly after exiting.

With other offramps in the area (e.g., Basin Rd and Cima Road), it's fairly flat (with mountains in the distance) and from the main highway, you can see miles of road heading out into the desert. Hwy 15 Northeast of Zzyzx road is where the long descent into Nevada begins. The unique name also makes it the first place to come to mind when someone is thinking of places to go to dump a body.

One can't help but think when driving Hwy 15 and seeing the sign for the Zzyzx road offramp, that there must be a lot of bodies out there.

I have mentioned on another thread that every time that I drive by the Zzyzx Rd offramp, I think that it would be a great place to take a cadaver dog for a walk .
    I agree CarlK. I think about this every time I travel between Vegas and SoCal. And between Vegas and Utah. Same desolation in both directions and plenty of places to carry out an evil deed.
    ~~~Cynical Optimist~~~

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fairy1 For This Useful Post:

Steven Koecher is missing from Las Vegas,and there is always the possibility it could be him, so if anyone comes across any updates on this could you post. Thanks

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RubyRed For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RubyRed View Post
    Steven Koecher is missing from Las Vegas,and there is always the possibility it could be him, so if anyone comes across any updates on this could you post. Thanks
    Another thing that I noticed but did not mention was that the remains were found west of the 15 freeway near Zzyzx road. That would be more suggestive of a perp coming from the southwest-bound side of the 15 (i.e., from Nevada). Anyone coming from Southern California probably (although not definitely) would have exited into the area East of the 15.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CarlK90245 For This Useful Post:

carbuff is offline ebook Bad Fairies available from Torridbooks.com, Amazon, B&N
    Hm, good thought, Carl.

Do they actually find a lot of bodies in this spot? Or does it just look like a good place?'
    Opinions expressed are strictly my own (who else would they belong to???)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to carbuff For This Useful Post:

I recall reading about a couple of instances over the years, but I wouldn't be able to point to any specific cases. It does stick in the mind though because of the strange name.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CarlK90245 For This Useful Post:

carbuff is offline ebook Bad Fairies available from Torridbooks.com, Amazon, B&N
    I recall reading about a couple of instances over the years, but I wouldn't be able to point to any specific cases. It does stick in the mind though because of the strange name.
    Yes, exactly I've only seen the one case, with the girl's head, and remembered it.

I suppose that would also make it an easy landmark for somebody from a big city to spot in the middle of the night. No mistaking the exit.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to carbuff For This Useful Post:

Another thing that I noticed but did not mention was that the remains were found west of the 15 freeway near Zzyzx road. That would be more suggestive of a perp coming from the southwest-bound side of the 15 (i.e., from Nevada). Anyone coming from Southern California probably (although not definitely) would have exited into the area East of the 15.
    Not necessarily, if there is a bridge over the freeway there.

Just checked google maps, and there IS a bridge. So people may head either east or west from either direction of I-15.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Essbee For This Useful Post:

I put Zzyzx Road, Baker, California on a map.
    For reference purposes I put Henderson, Nevada because that is where Steven Koecher
    went missing from.

On one side of the I-15 is Arrowhead Trail
    the other side is Zzyzx

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&sourc...e=UTF8&t=h&z=9
    Last edited by RubyRed; 07-14-2010 at 09:55 PM.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RubyRed For This Useful Post:

Never wanted to mention this before, but I've often considered that SK's body could have been transported somewhere along the path to LA.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sin City For This Useful Post:

who is SK?

Quote Originally Posted by Essbee View Post
    who is SK?
    Steven Koecher
    http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/...er_steven.html

27. The Following User Says Thank You to CarlK90245 For This Useful Post:

NamUs profile, which specifies these are female remains and dental bridging material was found with them. The bones were charred.

https://identifyus.org/cases/full_report/7384

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tatertot For This Useful Post:

Thanks tatertot. So now we know it is a female.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to RubyRed For This Useful Post:

Kat

Quote Originally Posted by Sin City View Post
    Never wanted to mention this before, but I've often considered that SK's body could have been transported somewhere along the path to LA.
    I think he was sent somewhere on a delivery/courier errand, and did not return. Either on purpose, or via crime.

In the UID under discussion, the charred remains were found *west* of I-15, where Zzyzx road turns into "Arrowhead Trail" and there's several unnamed dirt roads. It's probably the most barren turn-off, between Vegas and LA.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to laytonian For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the info re: the SK case. I had seen the thread before, vaguely, but I had never opened it to read. Now that I have read a fair amount, I am interested and will be following along.

It just goes to show how a certain case can be big news in one area (Utah & Las Vegas) but not even get onto the radar a couple hundred miles away (I'm in San Diego).

I hope they figure out the identity of these remains, too. At first, I was wondering if they were somehow related to the decapitated head found a couple of months ago, but apparently not since there were teeth and bridgework among the remains.

My family and I pulled over there on a recent trip from Vegas to Cali to change diapers and take potty breaks. I remember having a REALLY creepy feeling about it---like someone wasn't there, but there had been someone there recently. It was a really bad vibe.

I'm gonna be even more creeped out now when we pass it.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to malaika For This Useful Post:

How long had the bones been there? This area reminds me of the April Pitzer case I saw on ID Discovery....it's probably totally unrelated, but I thought I'd throw it out there. She was missing a lot of teeth as well and had dental implants....

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/p/pitzer_april.html

I'm sure this has been considered...right?

ETA: sorry, when I saw the full report it didn't have rule outs listed...it looked so promising too
    the list of rule outs is here
    https://identifyus.org/cases/7384
    Last edited by CCD; 03-09-2011 at 03:53 PM.
    ~Mekena Sarah Gracie Carmichael~
    2007-2011
    West Elgin's Precious Angel

Yes, April is on the ruleouts list. These are the ruleouts as of today:

Rachael Anderson 1969 Washington
    Benedetta Bentley 1969 Illinois
    Raven Joy Campbell 1977 California
    Darlene Dunn 1951 California
    Jessica Foster 1984 Nevada
    Sheila Goble 1947 West Virginia
    Clifford Lambert 1934 California
    Lyubov Lutsyk 1960 Washington
    April Pitzer 1974 California
    Susan Ryan 1952 Ohio
    Venus Stewart 1977 Michigan
    Bengie Tyson

Her NAMUS file is here: https://identifyus.org/cases/7384

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carbuff For This Useful Post:

Right - they would exit East -- say I was going to Vegas from San Diego. West indicates the traveller was coming from Nevada (towards California).

Such a desolate area, IMHO, means a body dump.

interesting....

Mel
    Last edited by Melanie; 03-09-2011 at 03:58 PM. Reason: typo

41. The Following User Says Thank You to Melanie For This Useful Post:

Dad and I were just talking about this strech of road a few days ago. He always remembers the cars that overheat on that long uphill stretch (I think it's towards the Vegas side several miles east of this exit).

I think, for whatever it's worth, whoever it was that left the body was in a hurry because they didn't take the time to go gurther into the desert for a desolate location.

I can see senarios for someone travling on either side of the highway. If you're leaving Vegas it's the last obvious hidden spot before Los Angeles. On the other hand, if you're leaving Los Angeles it's the first obvious hiding spot.

43. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Honey_Bee For This Useful Post:

Sortof random side-comment... That exit is locally somewhat infamous for its desolate nature as well as its spelling. So much so, in fact, that it was featured as a crime scene in an episode of CSI:Las Vegas in 2006.

its wellknown and "famous" because its the only memorable thing you will see on that road for 2 1/2 hours!

There is the highway, the desert and the zzyzx exit in the middle of nowhere

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast