Is a naked mannequin obscene?

Steely Dan

Former Member
Reaction score
Link

Mannequin's wardrobe malfunction draws complaints

Beatrice residents who complained about a nearly naked female store mannequin prompted police to conceal the window display and stirred a debate about obscenity in the small city.

Police covered the window at Hannah's Treasures for about a day last week after several people in the southeast Nebraska city of 12,500 complained about the mannequin with a pair of pants around its ankles and wearing shoes but no other clothing.

City Attorney Tobias Tempelmeyer said Monday he had yet to receive all the police reports on the semi-naked mannequin.

"We're not able at this point to issue a determination whether it's obscene or not," Tempelmeyer said.

The owner of the closed shop later dressed the offending mannequin in a bikini.

Store owner Kevin Kramer's lawyer, Dustin Garrison, didn't immediately respond to a message Monday, but he told the Beatrice Daily Sun that Kramer might sue over the dispute.

"Nothing about a naked mannequin constitutes obscenity," Garrison said to the Beatrice Daily Sun. "I think we've all gone into a department store and seen a naked mannequin at one point in our lives."

Kramer says the shop in Beatrice was closed because he was in the process of moving his business to Lincoln.

Tempelmeyer said the dispute was resolved amicably, and that he was OK with the mannequin wearing a bikini.

With all of the other serious problems going on in this world this is where some people choose to focus police attention. :banghead::loser:

Link

Mannequin's wardrobe malfunction draws complaints

Beatrice residents who complained about a nearly naked female store mannequin prompted police to conceal the window display and stirred a debate about obscenity in the small city.

Police covered the window at Hannah's Treasures for about a day last week after several people in the southeast Nebraska city of 12,500 complained about the mannequin with a pair of pants around its ankles and wearing shoes but no other clothing.

City Attorney Tobias Tempelmeyer said Monday he had yet to receive all the police reports on the semi-naked mannequin.

"We're not able at this point to issue a determination whether it's obscene or not," Tempelmeyer said.

The owner of the closed shop later dressed the offending mannequin in a bikini.

Store owner Kevin Kramer's lawyer, Dustin Garrison, didn't immediately respond to a message Monday, but he told the Beatrice Daily Sun that Kramer might sue over the dispute.

"Nothing about a naked mannequin constitutes obscenity," Garrison said to the Beatrice Daily Sun. "I think we've all gone into a department store and seen a naked mannequin at one point in our lives."

Kramer says the shop in Beatrice was closed because he was in the process of moving his business to Lincoln.

Tempelmeyer said the dispute was resolved amicably, and that he was OK with the mannequin wearing a bikini.

With all of the other serious problems going on in this world this is where some people choose to focus police attention. :banghead::loser:

Guess it depends on just how anatomically correct and how detailed this mannequin was. :floorlaugh:

Dear Sheriff

I think you should burn all the mannequins because they're all naked underneath their clothes. What kind of an example does that set for our children?

Signed,

Concerned Citizen

Who are the people who get offended over a naked mannequin? I mean really. I think maybe they should be looked into a bit closer and I mean psychiatrically closer. LMAO.

I laughed when i read this.

If your going to upset about a mannequin - Are you going to rip a barbie out a childs hands because it has no clothes on?

Pfffftt... Unless the mannequin was seen leering at oblivious shoppers i assume he should be left at peace with his other mannequin freinds..

If your going to upset about a mannequin - Are you going to rip a barbie out a childs hands because it has no clothes on?

Pfffftt... Unless the mannequin was seen leering at oblivious shoppers i assume he should be left at peace with his other mannequin freinds..

I was gonna say the same thing about Barbie.

Is Ken in the room too? :waitasec:

Haha, that's funny and sad. She must cringe when she walks past "those kind of magazines". Poor mannequin, she's just trying to make a living.

Does anyone else see the naked mannequin advertisement in this page. hahaha

Realistic Mannequin's - Realistic Price
Starts at $99

snort

Can you even imagine calling LE because you saw a naked mannequin???
I would love to see the "police reports" section of that town's newspaper -- no telling what kinds of things those residents call in.

I hope they don't have an art gallery in that town. Someone's going to go spraypainting bikinis on all the nude masterpieces.

Does anyone else see the naked mannequin advertisement in this page. hahaha

Realistic Mannequin's - Realistic Price
Starts at $99

snort

Hmmm, not bad. $99 for a lifetime of viewing.

I don't know. When you read it, the mannequin was not naked. It had the pants around the ankles. As in, pants pulled down.

They didn't say anyone called the police. They said there were complaints and the police covered the window.

And how does that happen by accident? They could have either moved it out of the window or just pulled up the pants. I don't think it was an accident. No mention of the pose. (wonder if it was mooning passersby?)

And, yes, I think they can be offensive. I called Victoria's Secret to complain when, a few Christmases ago, their corner window display (as in, two whole glass walls of the store!) was several mannequins in thongs and thigh highs, bent over at the waist, with the words "Sugarplum Fantasies" over their nodding heads. Not exactly the Christ Child in the manger, or even Santa and Rudolph!!!

Seriously, it's a suburban mall, not an adult toy store. I really don't want to be explaining to my young kids why a bent over woman might be someone's Christmas fantasy. :snooty:

ETA: this link has a picture and more about the LAWSUIT the store owner is filing against police. I think there is more to this story than a bunch of prude busybodies.
http://www.styleite.com/retail/naked-mannequin-nebraska/

Who are the people who get offended over a naked mannequin? I mean really. I think maybe they should be looked into a bit closer and I mean psychiatrically closer. LMAO.

Next they'll be arresting 7 year olds that undress Barbie!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back